Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Took a trip to the CAT scales

This is a great thread, providing much needed info for us newbies. My used AS did not come with instructions for setting up a WD hitch and the manufacturer (EAZ-Lift) does not post this info on their website. The RV dealer went with "well, that's close enough". Although the trailer tows well, I now realize some adjustments are needed.

I found this info on the internet and it appears to be pretty accurate.
How to Setup a Weight Distributing Hitch | eHow.com

My questions: 1) When I weigh my TV, shouldn't "empty/solo" include myself and my wife since she'll be in the vehicle 99% of the time?
2) Is there a rule of thumb for a starting point as to how many washers to use, or just insure there are not less than 6 links between the lift unit and and spring bars. 3) I've been concerned about tongue weight as the P/O installed a Honda generator on the A-frame behind the propane tanks. to accomplish this the A-frame was extended about 6 inches. The genset addition/modification probably added about 300 pounds to the total weight. Can I assume, with a properly adjusted W/D system, that this weight will have minimal impact on tongue weight?

Obviously, I'm heading to the CAT scales in the immediate future.

Bruce
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bruce,

...just what I do, others may differ. I weigh the TV alone just as it will be used towing, full gas, DW, dog and camping supplies. I feel it's better to use loaded axle numbers.

Bob
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You want both tickets: Adjusted from the shipping weight

1] Normal solo (driver & fuel)
2] Loaded for towing/camping

The first is a constant. The second can vary considerably (and may need changing).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
What shipping weight?, I drove mine home.
Bob
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Question: If the weight from TV rear axle needs to be moved to front axle the weight distribution bar tension has to be increased e.g. less chain loops.
Also is min. 5 chain loops is a must requirement or can they 4 loops
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bob, a Yankee needs always be more concerned by dead weight when its' neck/shoulder supported.

Adjusted empty weight is part of hitch rigging -- solo/unladen -- inasmuch as tire pressure needs also be established.

Solo/unladen and Towing/laden are the two distinct operating parameters for the TV where an established tire pressure number is required.

Just as height adjustments for the WDH are a good start, so also is the vehicle manufacturers "range" of tire pressure numbers. A FF/RR bias to always respect, but within the range the ideal tire pressure number to be found for either of the above conditions.

The TV is unlikely to ever be heavier or lighter. So best tire numbers for handling & braking per test, just as with scale values for WD fine-tuning.

There can be a situation where the conditions have changed. We now know where to start on adjustments.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
Question: If the weight from TV rear axle needs to be moved to front axle the weight distribution bar tension has to be increased e.g. less chain loops.
Also is min. 5 chain loops is a must requirement or can they 4 loops
With a Reese full sway control hitch, 5 links under stress is the ideal.

However, 4 links works ok just as well, but at some point, the ball mount needs to be tilted a little more downward.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Reducing the number of links increases the tension and transfers more weight. The minimum number of links depends on the manufacturers recomendation. On my Reese trunnion WD hitch, the minimum is 5 links. I believe this has to do with the movement of the bars when the trailer is in a sharp turn.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Bob, a Yankee needs always be more concerned by dead weight when its' neck/shoulder supported.

Adjusted empty weight is part of hitch rigging -- solo/unladen -- inasmuch as tire pressure needs also be established.

Solo/unladen and Towing/laden are the two distinct operating parameters for the TV where an established tire pressure number is required.

Just as height adjustments for the WDH are a good start, so also is the vehicle manufacturers "range" of tire pressure numbers. A FF/RR bias to always respect, but within the range the ideal tire pressure number to be found for either of the above conditions.

The TV is unlikely to ever be heavier or lighter. So best tire numbers for handling & braking per test, just as with scale values for WD fine-tuning.

There can be a situation where the conditions have changed. We now know where to start on adjustments.

Red,

An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.

Your verbosity rocks. KISS

Bob
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
bottom or top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

However, 4 links works ok just as well, but at some point, the ball mount needs to be tilted a little more downward.

Andy
So...am I counting links on my Reese ”up” from the trunion bar and does the link that goes thru the bar get included? I know, rookie question but, I'm a rookie so....

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
All links under tension.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Quote:
All links under tension.
Dang....that would seem self evident, right? This being a rookie sure makes a person feel silly now and then.
Thanks!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"It" is not always obvious to me either; i.e., there's a reason some/most of us wound up on here.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
"It" is not always obvious to me either; i.e., there's a reason some/most of us wound up on here.
Yeah, and half the time it's "obvious" to me that means I've done it wrong.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Yeah, and half the time it's "obvious" to me that means I've done it wrong.
The "right" TT and a nice TV cancel that out. Especially now that the best hitch is to be applied. Tires, same way. Etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Thanks for the response, I will tilt the ball and reduce the links to 4 under tension.
After this adjustmustment I will take it to scale to see how the weight is distributed among the TV front and rear axle as well as the trailer
I do not what we will do without Andy.
May God bless you with good health and long life
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Totally get the headache thing. Here are my results. Any thoughts appreciated!

The trailer tows great, although the tail end of my TV seems to hang a little low when hooked up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	164036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4185.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	164037  

Name:	IMG_4186.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	164038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	164039  

Name:	IMG_4192.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	164040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	164041  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Brad: your numbers look good. On my Hensley I move about 400# to the steer axle when everything is level. Looking forward to seeing you at the Canopener if not before. We may drive over to Falluminium since it's in the neighborhood but we have a rally at the Top of Georgia that we will be at. Hopefully next year the rally schedules won't conflict. Bandits.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Brad. If you go to one of the weigh scales along the interstate there is no charge. Just follow the trucks in and when you get on the scales tell them you want a weigh ticket otherwise you will just get a green arrow indicating you are good to go. Also when you first pull off the interstate to go to the weigh station you may come to a green arrow and a red x. When I followed the green arrow I ended up back on the interstate and missed the weigh station. All the red x meant was that I was not required for come in for weighing not that I couldn't come in. I proceeded through the red arrow, slowly at first, and proceeded to the scales. They know what you are before the turn off to the scales so basically the red arrow just means that you are not required to come in and. E weighed. Bandits.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks Jerry - see you soon - somewhere!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote