Old 12-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

2016 16' Sport
Charlotte , Iowa
Tongue weight question

I recently bought a 16 foot Sport. When it is filled with water and packed to go camping my tongue weight is 511 lbs. This includes the weight of the equalizer hitch, propane tanks, and batteries. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Santa Fe that is rated for 5000 lbs towing capacityand 500 lbs tongue weight. My question is if my car can handle this tongue weight. Does the hitch transfer enough weight from the tongue to make this a safe setup.
Thanks - Bill

boocanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Being a 11 lbs over is not a big deal. However that 511 lbs must be include in the vehicle's payload rating. Which may be putting the payload at or over that threshold. Also may put you over the rear axle rating.

Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Echoing Overloaded - if your equalizer is set up properly your tongue weight should be ok; but you should check the total weight of the vehicle and loaded trailer against the vehicles’ maximums.
joshjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If it worries you, the rating is mostly related to the numbers on the receiver. Swapping one of those out is *not* a big deal ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Echoing Overloaded - if your equalizer is set up properly your tongue weight should be ok; but you should check the total weight of the vehicle and loaded trailer against the vehicles’ maximums.
I would add know your loading and how more or less weight (inc water & propane) can easily affect TW. I'm learning a new device but read my post on the 20 footers thread.
Loading ~ plaement & hitch setup....critical
Getting back to to the ? 511 IMO you're good to go.

Happy trails.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocanoe View Post
I recently bought a 16 foot Sport. When it is filled with water and packed to go camping my tongue weight is 511 lbs. This includes the weight of the equalizer hitch, propane tanks, and batteries. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Santa Fe that is rated for 5000 lbs towing capacityand 500 lbs tongue weight. My question is if my car can handle this tongue weight. Does the hitch transfer enough weight from the tongue to make this a safe setup.
Thanks - Bill
A WDH will transfer 20-25% or more to TT. About 400# to divide on the TV afterwards.

Did you measure TW at the ball receiver? Weighing at the tongue jack will be heavier. Take total length of trailer and adjust as percentage.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The WD system doesn't change the tongue weight, it simply distributes that weight. If the 11 pounds is a big concern for you, wrap a standard concrete building block in a blanket, and place it in the rear storage compartment. If you don't want to do that, and are still worried about it, you can keep one of the two 20# LP tanks half full.
Just be aware you may have other things in your tow vehicle that will change what weight you can tow and carry much more than 11#.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If it worries you, the rating is mostly related to the numbers on the receiver. Swapping one of those out is *not* a big deal ....

Bob
This is not sound advice. The tow vehicle is a unibody construction which is formed using sheet steel. Not to mention you will not likely find a higher rating receiver hitch for that model because of this. It is only as strong as your weakest link. In the full framed truck realm this would more plausible.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
This is not sound advice. The tow vehicle is a unibody construction which is formed using sheet steel. Not to mention you will not likely find a higher rating receiver hitch for that model because of this. It is only as strong as your weakest link. In the full framed truck realm this would more plausible.
Unibody is a stronger vehicle than a comparable BOF. (And if one believes frame rails don’t twist, they do).

To “strengthen” a hitch receiver one adds bracing that extends forward in the ancient method. Andy Thomson at Can Am RV could provide info a local certified welder could use. Most pickups could also use this.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Unibody is a stronger vehicle than a comparable BOF. (And if one believes frame rails don’t twist, they do).

To “strengthen” a hitch receiver one adds bracing that extends forward in the ancient method. Andy Thomson at Can Am RV could provide info a local certified welder could use. Most pickups could also use this.

And would this "local certified welder" know how to identify high carbon steels used in unibodied construction and how they are to be welded as not affect their molecular grain structure? All steel bend, flex, and twist under load regardless. Unibodied vehicles could be said to be stronger and they are, but mostly from impact forces not from towing stresses. Not trying to be argumentative but I am certified I-Car utilized frame repair and 6G certified gmaw/gtaw vessel pipe welder.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
“Unibody is a stronger vehicle than a comparable BOF. (And if one believes frame rails don’t twist, they do). “

Frame rails twist and so do Unibody vehicles. Such a blanket statement in utterly nonsense.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
“Unibody is a stronger vehicle than a comparable BOF. (And if one believes frame rails don’t twist, they do). “

Frame rails twist and so do Unibody vehicles. Such a blanket statement in utterly nonsense.
10/4, I read this nonsense here all the time. Torsional rigidity has nothing to do with strength. BOF vehicles are, by necessity, designed to have some flex under heavy loads. Otherwise, they crack, as woulds a BOF under similar loads. That said, due to frame material advancements they are much more torsionally rigid than even 5 years ago.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #13
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
10/4, I read this nonsense here all the time. Torsional rigidity has nothing to do with strength. BOF vehicles are, by necessity, designed to have some flex under heavy loads. Otherwise, they crack, as woulds a BOF under similar loads. That said, due to frame material advancements they are much more torsionally rigid than even 5 years ago.
"They" refers to BOF twice. Which BOF supposed to be unibody? Thx.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #14
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Torsional rigidity tidbit;
My first SeaDad from the USS Enterprise said the 300' main shaft from #4 Engine Room had a 1.25 full revolution twist at a Flank bell. Hollow shaft for flexibility and packed with sand for vibration.