Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Skeered the OP away in 15 posts......

TW & trailering not all that complicated...... really.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream warns about the distribution of weight loaded into the Airstream with warnings not to exceed 1,000 lbs tongue weight, and not to mount heavy items on the back of the trailer. They build them with the heavy appliances and storage tanks over or near the axles. We can follow by loading our travel gear in a similar way, heavy items on the axles, lighter gear at the ends.

We have followed this method, but not completely aware of its direct effect on yaw stabilization of our Airstream. Knowing this may help in the selection of a suitable tow vehicle, loading our equipment, modifications to our Airstream, as well as safer towing experience.

We appreciate learning about this topic.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink ....want complicated?

Yes, they warn about a 1000lbs limit, but don't tell us why.

If our 1200lbs TW becomes 860lbs "receiver load" are we still breaking the rules?
Is TW still TW when your hitched with WD set or does it become something else?

Our receiver & TV will handle much more, is it the trailer tongue construction thats lacking? AS quotes notoriously low TW's, wishful thinking in most cases.

yet?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yes, they warn about a 1000lbs limit, but don't tell us why.

If our 1200lbs TW becomes 860lbs "receiver load" are we still breaking the rules?

Is TW still TW when your hitched with WD set or does it become something else?

Our receiver & TV will handle much more, is it the trailer tongue construction thats lacking? AS quotes notoriously low TW's, wishful thinking in most cases.

yet?

Bob

Exact set of questions I've been asking since the first 10 times I read my user manual. I still don't know the answers. Anyone? Bueller? 😳
Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Starting to feel like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Airstream ...
The tongue of our 75 Overlander has stamped into it "20,000 GVW".
So maybe this refers to the strength of the steel used for the frame itself.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes Bob, good questions. I have thought it was about trailer yaw stability, heavy loads at either end of the trailer. I would guess that would be the weight behind the ball or pivot of the hitch.

Which raise another question. When we weigh the tongue of our Airstreams with a Hensley or ProPride hitch, he hitch head is attached to the tongue so that weight shows up as tongue weight. When we attach it to the truck, the truck receiver carries the load of the Henley/ProPride. The pivot point is somewhere behind the truck receiver, or is it projected forward near the truck's rear axle? What effect, if any does this have on yaw stability? Or is there no effect as any attempt at yaw is held by the truck's rear axle/wheels/tires with this type of hitch?

Nonetheless we load our Airstream very lightly in front, push our recliner chairs aft for travel, to lighten the load on the hitch. We also load the truck bed behind the axles very lightly. Less weight distribution bar tension seems to be a good ride and easier on our truck, and if we have a more stable Airstream, that's a good thing as well.

Yes, we experiment with setting up our truck, hitch, Airstream looking for the most stable and safe combination. We have traveled long distances in many traffic and weather conditions. It drives, handles, and rides well so assume we are heading in the right direction with our setup.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Typically, with my PP hitch, I try to distribute loads evenly in the AS, minimize the stuff in the TV, and adjust the WD jacks to give a decent rude without porpoising. The weight of the hitch is probably being redistributed by fine-tuning the jacks by about a half inch or so from the recommended setting in the PP manual. Sway wise, once I went to the PP I haven't felt any, period. I just enjoy the drive. My setup is tuned for dead level on the AS and TV when dialed in.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote