Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
True story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
"My trailer has, only once, swayed violently out of control. This was with my trailer parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
just as you frequently share the story of the only sway your trailer has experienced :-)
Hi, yes, I do use this story quite often and for those who missed it, I will tell it again.

My trailer is usually parked very close to the side of my house and to work on my trailer, I need to pull it forward towards the street. [can't open the door] I was working on my Fantastic Vent at the time. My plunger switch was bad and it requires disconnecting the wire from inside and removal of the switch from above. I had my ladder on my neighbor's lawn and leaning against the side of my trailer. I climbed up on top of my trailer to remove the plunger switch. I got down from the ladder with the switch in my hand and I was going to go to the local auto parts store to buy another one. But first I didn't want to leave my ladder on my neighbor's lawn, so I moved it to my driveway, behind my trailer. I then walked into my garage to leave my tools and was headed down my driveway to take my car to the store. As I was nearing my trailer, I heard a big bang, and my trailer was violently swaying from side to side. My first thought was that some idiot went up my driveway and ran into my trailer with a truck. As I went to the front of my trailer, no-one was there. Within minutes, several neighbors started to come out of their houses to see what happened; At that time, I knew we just had an Earthquake. And to think, only a few minutes ago, I was on top of my trailer. What a disaster that could have been. Later on the news, it was stated that Southern California, in my area, had a Five Point Oh [5.0] Earthquake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4456.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	234206  
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
AaAaaah! One of my fears is being on an unsecured ladder in that circumstance.

I have a tendency to tie adders in place just in case. SoCal paranoia, I guess.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Nice looking rig Robert!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jessup , Pennsylvania
AS newbie

Hi folks. Great forum and this is my first post. Just took delivery of new 28 FB. TV is Chevy 1500/ 5.2 v8 w/ max tow pkg and PP hitch. Towed home from Colonial AS in Lakewood NJ to north east PA. About 170 miles in very heavy traffic. PP is outstanding! I have experience with other hitches/ trailers etc. No comparison! ... As to the issue at hand( moving trailer at service Fac.) I think R Carl has the answer. A penel ( spelling?) type arrangement would solve the problem. Also would help on very uneven camp sites . Just pull out to a more level spot. Swap out the penel for PP stinger , hook up, go. If R Carl could provide some more details on fabricating this ,it would be very much appreciated.
Thos759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos759 View Post
Hi folks. Great forum and this is my first post. Just took delivery of new 28 FB. TV is Chevy 1500/ 5.2 v8 w/ max tow pkg and PP hitch. Towed home from Colonial AS in Lakewood NJ to north east PA. About 170 miles in very heavy traffic. PP is outstanding! I have experience with other hitches/ trailers etc. No comparison! ... As to the issue at hand( moving trailer at service Fac.) I think R Carl has the answer. A penel ( spelling?) type arrangement would solve the problem. Also would help on very uneven camp sites . Just pull out to a more level spot. Swap out the penel for PP stinger , hook up, go. If R Carl could provide some more details on fabricating this ,it would be very much appreciated.

If you're talking about the recommendation in post #12 I'm not sure how that could work. The problem being described is the PP that sits on the a-frame and encompasses the ball. The "box" on the head that receives the stinger has nothing that device could pin in to. You need something that can connect with the over center latches.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Unless you use the stinger with the latches and slip a receiver over that. Then you could use the pin that would otherwise go on the TV to connect the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Yes same dealer, by the overpass, which is why we drove from Colorado to NJ to purchase our AS. We go out-of-state for service. We tried multiple times to do business with the Denver AS dealer and their attitude is the same on the sales side as you experienced on the service side. So sad.....
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #68
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Accessory

Several years ago someone had an acessory for sale in the classified section that went with Hensley so it could be toed with a regular ball. Forgot the name of it and who manufactured it. They wanted about $90 for it. I came close to buying it but sold the trailer that had the Hensley. I want to say it was called a Black ______, maybe a animal name. All the tractors and fork lifts that Rv repair company's use are equipped with ball and can't move a Hensley
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
All the repair shop needs is your Henley/ProPride stinger (if they don't have one of their own), and they can move your trailer with anything equipped with a receiver.

Airstream Service Jackson Center uses a tractor and your stinger, routine to them, they move a few every day.

If they say they can't they are feeding you b.s. or ignorance about travel trailers, you ought to look for a better shop.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Same Dealer... different issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
It is warranty work and they are the only Airstream Dealer in Denver. I don't feel like I should need to take it out of town or out of state to have warranty work done without removing the ProPride.

Why is it that there appears to be a common consensus among those owning an Airstream needing service or purchasing one in Colorado and more than a couple of isolated owners? Same dealer? Maybe Airstream will understand why I prefer NOT to take mine into this shop for any Service and have been paying out of pocket on my 2014 International.

They sell the Equalizer Hitch system now. In 2006 it was another brand that used the bar and chains... name I forget.

Then finally have my Equalizer Hitch worked out, as another from the same dealership reported with a hitch setup wrong. The Thread was removed from the Off Topic a week ago, but the complaints keep coming...