Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Our dealer in PDX has no problem moving our unit with the PP in situ...but they ask that we leave the stinger to help them move the AS...no problem. (Airstream Adventures NW-located in PDX, Seattle, Boise, and Fairfield)

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Our Airstream dealer hasn't had an issue with the hitch, but the guy who owns the indoor storage facility freaks out when we call him about storage/pick-up. He also calls it the "squirlly hitch". My husband has to back our Airstream into the storage unit and go pull it out when we need it.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I can not understand why this issue is being treated like rocket science. I have been to a number of dealers with our Airstreams with the Hensley arrow in place. All it took for these dealerships to handle my Hensley-equipped trail was a 2" receiver on their tug and using my Hensley hitch bar.

Brian
I think the initial issue is probably the guy on the tractor - if he or she hasn't seen one before the first inclination is to try and slide the stinger into the tractors 2" receiver while it is still on the hitch head ...... very quickly leads to a lot of frustration, abuse of the hitch and some comedic entertainment to those watching ...... then ..... of course ..... blame ..... directed towards the hitch ..... and ultimately finds it's way to the owner of the trailer ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I think the initial issue is probably the guy on the tractor - if he or she hasn't seen one before the first inclination is to try and slide the stinger into the tractors 2" receiver while it is still on the hitch head ...... very quickly leads to a lot of frustration, abuse of the hitch and some comedic entertainment to those watching ...... then ..... of course ..... blame ..... directed towards the hitch ..... and ultimately finds it's way to the owner of the trailer ....

Jay
This brings me back to my earlier statement. "Are these the folks you want working on your Airstream?" If they can't figure out how to hook the trailer up, they will probably do a bang up job at fixing the refrigerator.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
I take my Airstream to Airstream Adventures NW in Boise and they treat the issue as it should be - a very simple one. I leave my stinger with them. They use a vehicle with a 2" receiver to move the A/S as needed. I agree with many of the other responses - if the dealer can't deal with an issue this simple, I wouldn't trust hem with anything, not even torqueing a lug nut!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I took my new 2015 in for a list of service issues and was told that I would need to remove the ProPride for them to move/service it. I explained I could leave the stinger in and still no go. After nearly 30 minutes of arguing I finally convinced them to let me position the trailer in front of a bay door and they would then work on it outside. Luckily it is supposed to be nice for a few days.

This is very surprising and disappointing to me.

Any others run up against this at your Airstream Dealer? I never imagined I would have to remove it for service. I thought Hensley and ProPride are pretty common hitch assemblies especially at an Airstream Dealer!
I have taken my trailer to the local Airstream dealer as well as to an independent shop specializing in high-end coaches.

In both cases I've warned them ahead of time and in both cases they have asked me to park the trailer in a location where it can be worked on in place without any need to move it. The local Airstream dealer is accustomed to Hensley hitches and on the last visit or two did ask me to leave the stinger in case they had to move it. They move trailers around the yard with a skid loader equipped with a receiver hitch, so they can swap balls and stingers.

Some service yards have skid loaders with a permanently mounted ball in the bucket, so there's no place to attach the stinger.

I would imagine that, at most places, for most repairs done during temperate weather, it would be possible to work something out so the trailer doesn't have to be moved.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
This brings me back to my earlier statement. "Are these the folks you want working on your Airstream?" If they can't figure out how to hook the trailer up, they will probably do a bang up job at fixing the refrigerator.

Brian
H'mmm - well - for your sake - if you're towing with a Hensley or a ProPride I really hope you don't run into any fridge problems on a road trip that brings you through this (very big) chunk of the world ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
ProPride??

I would have demanded to speak to the owner of the backward business. It is none of their business what stickers you place on your RV. I would pull out an American Flag, a Pro Army, Navy etc and slap them on the RV.
Stickers do not affect your RV's performance of the trailer, RV, Space Shuttle etc.
If after talking to the owner call Airstream. I would also write a complaint letter and place it on the complaint line that is by that given business. I would send the letter to your local BBB, Angie's list, and you state's State's Attorney, etc. Thanks to Microsoft Word and the internet most of this can be uploaded to the aforementioned places. Using the same letter and only change the letter head. I hate crooks.
(If your RV is new, then the the factory has horrible quality control.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
The main reason I always heard (used to work for Hensley) was that making a hitch bar specific for lot moving (which would defeat the sway control action) was that someone might use it on the road. Liability.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
The main reason I always heard (used to work for Hensley) was that making a hitch bar specific for lot moving (which would defeat the sway control action) was that someone might use it on the road. Liability.

That is interesting and terribly easy to solve - engrave "FOR MAINTENANCE USE ONLY - NOT FOR USE OUTSIDE OF REPAIR FACILITY" on the bar and be done with it. Sell them only to dealers. Seems fixable to me...
Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That is interesting and terribly easy to solve - engrave "FOR MAINTENANCE USE ONLY - NOT FOR USE OUTSIDE OF REPAIR FACILITY" on the bar and be done with it. Sell them only to dealers. Seems fixable to me...
Well, I certainly can not speak for them. But I believe the theory was, labeling does not make a major accident on a highway any easier to overcome, legally, or PR wise. That is how I would see it, but again, I can't not speak for them.

I believe it is fair to say, no one reads the directions.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Based on the post author's later comments, we have had exactly the same issue with the same dealer (the place we bought our used Airstream). Because they needed to fix something they messed up, we told them that we would not be removing our hitch because it was not our fault we were back to see them (they also offered to remove it for a few hundred dollars). We pulled the trailer into the bay with our truck and then hitched up to move the trailer out once the issue was fixed (not an easy task because of how cramped their lot is). The time estimate for the repair went from three days to an afternoon. They did not want our trailer taking up one of their bays so they got our issue fixed quickly.

Their management is incredibly unresponsive to complaints so I do not think you will get very far with escalating the issue. Even when they were fixing something that was their mistake, they were very difficult about our hitch and the ONLY option we could get them to go with was backing in the trailer ourselves. I am very sorry to say that based on my personal experience, you are not going to get very far on this issue and offering to park the trailer yourself may be the only solution to get your trailer serviced there.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't know if the story I am about to tell is regarding the same Airstream dealer or not. We were in Denver traveling in Old Lucy in the Spring of 2008 when we had a problem with her her water heater. We took Lucy to the local Airstream Dealer. As I recall, it was located directly next to an overpass.

We went into this dealer and explained our situation and the fact that we were just passing through to the service manager. He very curtly told us that if we left the trailer, he might be able to get around to it in two or three weeks. The guy was a real jerk. We promptly departed and went to another local RV dealer who very graciously looked at Lucy immediately. This dealer fixed Lucy's water heater with a new part in about thirty minutes.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As I've aged, I've developed a great sensitivity to detecting jerks, and a total lack of patience dealing with them.

If someone that I might wasn't to deal with trips my 'jerk detector ( or my wife's detector for that matter ) I leave immediately. Life is too short to abide fools...

A service-related business that does not accommodate its customers on a reasonable manner is doomed to failure. As I one heard it, "Time wounds all heels". Very true in a service business.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote