Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
To disconnect or not to disconnect

On this last trip I decided not to disconnect the AS from the truck as we had a second vehicle available. I did disconnect the plug for the lights and brake. So I was wondering what is the advantage of disconnecting.

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Disconnecting the umbilical will ensure the TV battery doesn't get drawn down if you are 'boondocking'.

Staying 'connected' with the hitch is good in event you need to make a quick departure. This may happen if you are near a creek and the water rises...and threatens you.. or other reason ...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If you can level the trailer, and you don't need the TV, leave her hitched and unplug the umbilical as you are doing. We often stay connected while traveling and staying a single night.

The biggest reasons to unhitch are because: 1) you need to either raise the tongue so much you're lifting the rear of the TV significantly, or you need to lower the tongue below the normal hitch ball height in order to get the trailer level; or 2) you need to use the TV while camping.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If it's only a night or two I usually stay connected, stopping at a store before we get to the campground. Any longer and I prefer to not have that load on the TV.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the response.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We often stay hooked-up when just stopping for one night. In addition to unplugging, we loosen the weight distribution bars. This makes leveling the trailer for the night much easier. We also level side-to-side with leggo blocks.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We boondocks unless we are at a Rally. Rarely do we disconnect.

Level the trailer while hooked. Then unfold the stairs and done. Speeds up the light the BBQ and open a beer protocol.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We leave it hooked up for one night travel stops, but any more than that we usually need the tow vehicle to sight-see or get groceries. We leave the cord attached and usually stabilizers up.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
When I do not need the TV, I do not unhitch and do not unplug. I seem to remember reading that there was a diode or something in the circuit so you would not drain your TV battery. Plus, leaving it plugged in to the AS keeps blowing dust and bugs from getting into either end of the connection.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My F150 had a relay so that power for battery charging was only connected when the engine was running. My Ram does not; the umbilical is always energized, at least it was when I checked it right after turning the engine off. It may have a timer that turns it off after a while.

We leave the TV connected for overnight stops, but I will now disconnect the umbilical with the new truck.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
On this last trip I decided not to disconnect the AS from the truck as we had a second vehicle available. I did disconnect the plug for the lights and brake. So I was wondering what is the advantage of disconnecting.
As others point out, with some tow vehicles it is possible for the battery in the tow vehicle to become discharged. The circumstances under which this will happen are when ALL of the following conditions hold:

1) The tow vehicle has a working charge line. Many do not, by design, as shipped from the factory.
2) The trailer's converter isn't operating, either because the shore power line isn't connected, or because the converter is switched off or not working
3) There's enough of a load in the trailer to deplete the battery. Most often, this requires a multiple-day stay, or extensive operation of the furnace.

Sure Power Industries makes a line of battery disconnects that, if properly installed, prevent this sort of thing from happening while still allowing the charge line to work as designed. I have one in each of my tow vehicles.

Minno and others have a mostly complete list of reasons to unhook. I would add that there are some campsites that are short enough that the tow vehicle will block traffic if hitched.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We leave it hooked up for one night travel stops, but any more than that we usually need the tow vehicle to sight-see or get groceries. We leave the cord attached and usually stabilizers up.
Ditto

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
When I do not need the TV, I do not unhitch and do not unplug. I seem to remember reading that there was a diode or something in the circuit so you would not drain your TV battery. Plus, leaving it plugged in to the AS keeps blowing dust and bugs from getting into either end of the connection.
This may not be true for all TVs. I am unaware of any GM vehicle that has more than a fuse in the line.

But, I just thought of something. Our products have battery rundown protection which shuts down unintended draws after 20 minutes of ignition off, or so. I'll have to check if the trailer charge line is a "protected" circuit or not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm another who leaves it hitched for a one night stop. I may put down the tongue jack because that seems to take out a lot of the movement when you move about the trailer.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This may not be true for all TVs. I am unaware of any GM vehicle that has more than a fuse in the line.

But, I just thought of something. Our products have battery rundown protection which shuts down unintended draws after 20 minutes of ignition off, or so. I'll have to check if the trailer charge line is a "protected" circuit or not.
My 1997 K2500 with the "camper prep" option had a large relay that did this. It appeared on the wiring diagrams so I believe it was stock. They were prone to contact failure, and after replacing mine a couple of times I got the sure power one which has worked out better.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just looked it up (for Silverado) Battery rundown protection covers interior lighting only. Headlamps are on their own timer.

And it's 10 minutes.

Jammer, I don't think they've been there for years. I'll just have to get out my multi-meter and check.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
My 1997 K2500 with the "camper prep" option had a large relay that did this. It appeared on the wiring diagrams so I believe it was stock. They were prone to contact failure, and after replacing mine a couple of times I got the sure power one which has worked out better.
The only reference in the service manual is a relay for an additional auxiliary battery option (typically for slide in camper wiring provisions).

Edit: I just went out to the 2015 Sierra and there is 12v power at the charge terminal of the umbilical connector at all times.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I did a post sometime back on an Atkinson relay and I installed one in my Chevy. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...light=Atkinson

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When staying hooked up overnight - as we often do when traveling - I have often wondered if, with the umbilical cord left in place and the trailer on 110v, if there is any way the 12V line from the trailer to the truck could cause any electrical problem with the truck - all those sensitive computers & such.

So I generally unplug the connecting cable - although there have been times when i have forgotten, and with no apparent ill effect, so I guess there is no issue.

Probably just ensures that the TV battery (or in our case two TV batteries) are well charged up!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Brian, not in GM's case. The 12V power line is a straight circuit (describing upstream or backwards) from the umbilical connector to a stud on the underhood fuseblock, through a 30 amp fuse, to the alternator/battery positive stud on the fuseblock. In other words, it's just raw generated and stored 12V power, not passing through any electronic modules and such.