Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
To all you 34' owners

I have a few questions about owning and towing a 34.

1. I have a 3/4 ton ford 4wd with the towing pkg. How many tow a 34 with a 3/4 ton truck ? Mine has a 460 in it and is ten years old this year.

2. I really would like to find one with a washer and dryer in it already. IS this a rare option ? Am I looking at adding it after the purchase ?

This AS would be my primary residence for a while.

All comments welcome.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Big Rig reporting for duty!!

Howdy!

I tow a '92 34' Classic limited. TV is a '01 Suburban 2500HD with a 6L, 4x4, locking diff, towpackage. FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!! Period. Cannot go wrong with this vehicle as far as towing your unit. Do add a good hitch like the EQUAL-I-ZER hitch (mine is rated for 10K). Will save you HUGE headaches over when towing without it - DANGEROUS and stupid to do. Don't do it!

As far the trailer and additions to make for living in it. Don't! Live in it awhile and it will be come apparent very shortly what does, what doesn't and what sure and h*ck doesn't need changing. Clarity comes with patience.

Get the exact best trailer for you and have a ball with it. Best good times you will likely have!

my 2 cents

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Craftsman

The only 34' Airstream trailers that had a combination washer/dryer were the the 34' Front Kitchen models from the 90's. You see one come up for sale now and then but they certainly aren't as common as the traditional 34' floorplan.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
D E CANADA

1994 28' Excella
Boise , Idaho
Your tow rig is just fine. I tow with a 92 F250 Diesel and average 11 MPG while towing and it climbs the hills just fine.

As for the washer-dryer, many people who have had them do eventually remove them. We purchased our 34 Front Kitchen used and the previous owners had already removed the unit. The washer does not hold much of a load and they contend that when it went into the spin mode, it shook the entire trailer. We have friends who also removed their unit from their 99 Motorhome for the same reasons.

Since we full time, we made a storage unit with four large drawers to place in the hole where the washer was placed at the factory. We enjoy the additional storage more than the convinence of the small washer-dryer. The FK model is somewhat rare and hard to find and it took us seven months to find ours.
decanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We tow our 34 with a diesel 2002 Ford F-250 and it's more than enough. It, and the Chevy/GM 2500HD are one-ton single-rear-wheel trucks, just rated a little lower. For example, in 2002, the only difference between the F-250 and SRW F-350 was that on 4WD models, the latter had taller spacer blocks between the rear axle and springs. I've had 2,300 pounds of roofing in the bed of ours and it still sat level, with the overload springs only just beginning to touch the main springs on one end. With the 34 loaded to the gills, you're looking at 1,000-1,200 (with Hensley hith) pound tongue weight on the rear axle, after the weight-distributing hitch has put some back on the front axle and trailer axles. About half of my roofing load. We also carry two Honda EU2000 generators, gas for them, stepladder, outdoor carpet, lawn furniture, BBQ grill etc. One day we'll add a couple of those blue tank totes.

We have no desire for one of those RV washer/dryer combos. One would take up at least half of our closet space. As said above, they have little capacity and take many more loads. They also use a tremendous amount of cold water sprayed on the outside of the drum, and eventually put down the sewer line, in the drying mode. I'd rather get up early, grab two or three washers at the campground laundry room, and have all our laundry, whites, jeans, and delicates, done in the time it takes to do one load.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
I tow with a 91 F250 Diesel. As far as the washer/dryer, they take up too much usable space and are much to small for regular use.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I tow a '92 Limited 34' with a Dodge 3/4 ton, 5 speed. I love it! On a really bad day I'll drop to 13 mpg towing. Most tows run in the high 14s or low 15s.
Never having owned a Ford 460 I can't speak with authority but I see no reason you wouldn't be completely satisfied.

Gene
Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Chris!....

Forget the p/u - just use your class 8! I've seen some other A/S's use class 8's with the tandem's changed to singles...... just a thought.

Are you thinking of getting rid of your current trailer?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
_

. , .
hi chris

05 34 / hensley / 05 f-250 cc psd......i really like the combo....

as already noted...plenty of load carry capacity...and the towing combo is sublime....

unless you find a 34 with one of the uncommon floor plans (ft kitchen or slide sofa or...) you will use up 1/2 the closet for the w/d.... i understand the desired to have this service close at hand....for full time living...in one spot.

but a lot of resources are tied up with w/d....space, water, tanks, electric...and so on....and for late 90s' to mid 05...the carrying capacity isn't great on the trailers....w/d would eat into that.

really seems wiser to carry quarters.....

the extra width in a widebody 34 is worth is if affordable.

is your 250 gas?....if so mileage will be a little less....also the super duties have been uprated for loads since yours was built, which is still plentiful.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Chris: Towed our 34' only once last fall so far with our 2002 3/4 Duramax. Based on that trip and previously pulling a 29 AS, the TV will do well. I since have purchased a Hensley to put on it this coming spring. I expect that I will be happy with this set up. We like the closet space of the 34. A trip to the laundromat will be our choice and retain the storage space for more clothes that need to washed.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Thanks !

Quote:
I tow a '92 34' Classic limited. TV is a '01 Suburban 2500HD with a 6L, 4x4, locking diff, towpackage. FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!! Period. Cannot go wrong with this vehicle as far as towing your unit. Do add a good hitch like the EQUAL-I-ZER hitch (mine is rated for 10K). Will save you HUGE headaches over when towing without it - DANGEROUS and stupid to do. Don't do it!

As far the trailer and additions to make for living in it. Don't! Live in it awhile and it will be come apparent very shortly what does, what doesn't and what sure and h*ck doesn't need changing. Clarity comes with patience. Axel
I would definitely get a WD hitch. I have a Reese now that I don't use. Its for the Caravel. I agree with you that using it before making any changes is the way to go.

Quote:
Forget the p/u - just use your class 8! I've seen some other A/S's use class 8's with the tandem's changed to singles...... just a thought.

Are you thinking of getting rid of your current trailer?
Marc
Hi Marc, No I will be keeping my Caravel for now. IF I end up going this route the 34 or whatever I get, will be home. I still would want to go to the rallies and such. I would not want to unhook everything and move my house, lol. The suspension on our class 8's is sort of stiff. I wouldn't want to tow an AS with it, besides its too much like work .

I agree with all of the comments on the W/D combo units. I do think they are too small to use on a regular basis. The tenative plan is to have a piece of property with utilities to park on. So I wouldn't have the convience of a laundry facility close by. That is the reason I was leaning towards the W/D option. Just for the quick small load or two to get me by.

My Co. is planning on opening a terminal in Bend, Or. and I already have made it known that I want to transfer when this happens. The ideal plan would be to find a house to buy when/if I move. But I think this might happen very quickly soo, I thought the purchase of a 34 would be the way to go. This is all still in my head and may very well turn out completely different than what I expect. It never hurts to be well informed and that is why I started this thread. The long long term goal is to get the property live on it, build a shop, build a house, retire.

Its good to know that I can move it around with my current TV. Getting a new one (ideal) just isn't financially an option right now.

Thanks for all of your comments ! I appreciate it.

Chris
Old 03-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi chris

well it might be easier and less costly to build or buy a stick storage shed for the washer , dryer and whatever else......household versions would be less $ that rv models for sure....

this could be the seed for your own rv park.......for airstreams.....

what dates are open?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi chris

well it might be easier and less costly to build or buy a stick storage shed for the washer , dryer and whatever else......household versions would be less $ that rv models for sure....

this could be the seed for your own rv park.......for airstreams.....

what dates are open?

cheers
2air'
Thats a good idea. Thanks !

Hmm, an Airstream Park in Central Oregon ? Not a bad idea !
Old 03-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

We'd visit. :-)
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote