Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, 1072 lbs payload is anemic.

I love pulling with my 2500. And I do not think you can or will transfer 500 lbs of the tongue weight back to the trailer. I know I do not on the 2500 but maybe you would get more transfer on a softer 1500. So you will be well over payload. I do not know how big a problem that is. I have heard on this forum that some of the Dodge air suspension trucks have a "pay load" sensor that they will use to void the warranty. I drive the 2500 every day. My wife did for years up until we bought her a new Subaru last month and I took the Dodge. I like driving it better than I did the 20 year old Ford 150 that the Subaru replaced.

Maybe Verndiesel will ring in. He pulls a lot of trailers with his Dodge Ecodiesel. Maybe he knows things that will help you. Maybe do a search for some of his posts.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1,072# payload would only be the tongue of my Classic 30...
Sometime 27' trailers have more tongue weight than 30' trailers due to floor plan/layout or trailer axle placement/location.
Nothing left for me, my wife, fuel...
My 1,455# payload is iffy, but better than 1,072#...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Battle Ground , Washington
We tow our 16 Airstream Classic 30 foot with a diesel Titan XD and it's great.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I just got my 2017 F250 4x4 Crew Cab diesel with the high capacity trailer tow package and 6.5' bed. While I haven't driven a Titan XD, I will say that the F250 doesn't seem to be "too much truck" for most daily use despite it's being a foot and a half longer than the F150 it replaces. Sure, there are places like downtown San Francisco where I wouldn't want to take the F250, but then I didn't take the F150 there either.

To my mind, one big advantage is that despite the heavy diesel engine and being a Platinum model with all of the associated options, it still has a rated payload of 2160# which is 522# more than my previous similarly equipped EcoBoost F150. When towing a trailer with a 1000# pound tongue weight, 120# of hitch, and 425# of people and dog...not even beginning to count cargo....a 1638# payload was pretty marginal.

Oh, and I love the F250, it's features, and the way it drives and rides for a truck with it's capabilities.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The Titan's.... handling is quite a bit more stable and steering feel is much better.
The F250's new-for-2017 chassis, and in particular the new adaptive steering, have made very significant improvements in the areas you mention.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Get Air Miles or one of the other Titan owners to post a TARE weight scale ticket (driver, max fuel, and only permanent gear aboard). That, compared to door sticker axle limits shows what can be worked with.

And TT TW isn't payload, per se.

And take your own junk to the scale after a TARE weight of that vehicle to get a handle on what you can leave behind.

You'll need some food and clothing. But none of the rest is necessary.

A spreadsheet never got anyone a good TV.
There are several CAT scale tickets on my Airforum thread "On the Road with Airmiles". I documented on the scale tickets how the rig was loaded when weighed. Here is a picture of my first three pass scale tickets: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1950252 That three pass was with the stock Airstream and my empty truck with two passengers weighing about 400#. It was on the way home from purchasing the Airstream, full fuel. That's as light as it gets.

Here is a three pass scale ticket after I made some changes to reduce payload (switched to 20# propane tanks from 30's and cranked the Blue Ox WDH to 11 links): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1985301 This three pass simulated ready to camp with truck with its typical camping load. The Airstream did not have any food in it, but was otherwise ready to camp.

The issue with my truck is the payload sticker at 1377#. My truck is the lowest possible payload in the line as it is a "Platinum Diesel 4x4". The GVWR on my truck is 8950# with 4900# axle ratings for both front and rear.

My son-in-law also has an XD diesel "SL" 2wd, still nearly as loaded as my truck. His payload sticker says 1598#, or 220# more than my 4x4. His GVWR is lower at 8800# and his axles are both rated at 4900#.

So 4x4 is only a 220# payload loss because the GVWR is increased by 150# on a 4x4.

Let me know if you want any more information, but I'm leaving on a camping trip in the morning in the backwoods without Cellphone service. I won't be back until Sunday.

I love my XD diesel, I just wish it had more payload. You can get more payload by skipping 4x4 and buying an SV model with fewer bells and whistles. Someone on here said their XD has an 1800# actual payload. When I bought my XD, I owned and pulled a 3000# 17' Casita. I wasn't concerned about payload. Now I'm focused on it because I struggle to stay within payload with my 25' Airstream.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I used to own a 2011 (I think it was a 2011) F-250 6.0L Diesel 2wd construction truck. I towed heavy equipment with that truck and drove it empty. I would say my Titan XD 5.0L Diesel feels very similar to that older F-250 Diesel. I've driven a 2017 F-250 6.7L Diesel 4x4. It feels way more capable than my 5.0L. But I paid $27,000 less for my loaded new 2016 Titan than my friend paid for his new XLT 2017 F-250. But I do envy his 2400# payload!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
2012 28' International
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Little late for this tread but I have a 2016 XD diesel Platinum Reserve. Just got rid of a 2014 F-150 that had a decided vibration unloaded between 40-60 mph. New tires, and 5 trips to the dealer could not cure it. Long story short some Fords have it and Ford knows it and can't fix it.
Here's what I know about the Titan XD.
The seats and ride are superb. The motor is a Cummings and has plenty of power. The transmission is the same as they put in a Ram 3500.
The 360 degree camera is great and needed for an old guy and a big truck. 19.5 mpg on highway, 14.5 towing a26' Argosy.
Payload 2590, towing 12310. Head light angle is adjustable.
The used one I bought was $12,000 less than a used F-250 (that rode like a stiff truck unloaded).
Overall it doesn't have pure power and payload of a F-250, but let's get real, we're not pulling a dump trailer full of gravel. We're pullin a travel trailer that 'Pulls like a stream of Air'!
Good luck all and travel safe.
Titansection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Most everyone nailed it. Titan vs. 250 is apples and oranges. Titan payload is a joke for a truck trying to compete with the Big 3. Now it comes down to personal preference with Ford, GM or Ram.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:58 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
Most everyone nailed it. Titan vs. 250 is apples and oranges. Titan payload is a joke for a truck trying to compete with the Big 3. Now it comes down to personal preference with Ford, GM or Ram.
Really?

A). How heavily loaded is your truck in all its solo miles (that you needed a pickup in the first place as "obviously" a van wouldn't work for the type of equipment or gear carried when solo.

B). What's the extra load for camping?

And,

1) What's the TT tongue weight (measured);

2) As well as the percent TW distribution on pickup Steer & Drive Axles versus the stated Axle limits as shown in the final CAT Scale ticket.

Because a few hundred extra pounds of "cargo capacity" is neither here nor their as to what makes suitable differences between pickup trucks.

And the whole exercise says nothing about pickup suitability in the first place.

Not knowing actual numbers is what makes these posts on these threads the joke they are. Second, as it's arguing about about what are essentially meaningless numbers is par for RV board threads. No one ever got a "safe" TV from it. It's sound & fury signifying nothing.

If there is case -- even weak as is the premise -- at least build it.

(No, no one cares about you, Ronman, it's anyone in these goose chases).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
It’s just an opinion like most of these forums. I looked into the Titan and that’s what I found. Why do you find it necessary to be so nasty, Slowmover?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Above I posted my three pass scale tickets for a Titan XD Diesel with bare truck and Airstream and loaded for camping. My XD has the lowest payload in the XD line because it has every available option. My payload is 1377#, axle ratings 4900# and GVWR 8950#. It would be helpful if others would post their three pass scale tickets for their truck's with their payload sticker number, axle ratings, and GVWR. Then we could have a real conversation about the facts.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It’s just an opinion like most of these forums. I looked into the Titan and that’s what I found. Why do you find it necessary to be so nasty, Slowmover?
Just an opinion = meaningless hot air?

Or that, a Titan can't do it?

Can't do what?

As with the post following yours: Define "it".

Use real numbers, was said. Same as I said. Because a one ton is neither a foregone conclusion NOR a better choice. And a pickup "required" the worst default assumption in all of this.

The TW on my 35' Silver Streak is 1,100-lbs. What makes you think I need a pickup (were I the new guy)? You'd just tell me I need something from the one ton series? Why?

After WD on mine that's 430-lbs per TV axle. The territory of cars, and plenty of other types. Better vehicles.

I didn't ask those questions for nothing in the post to which you objected to my tone. Run the exercise for yourself. Put something into it before you can expect to offer advice out of it.

If I could read Air Miles scale tickets I'd run them thru an analysis anyone could read. That's hardly limited to my doing it, but I don't see it referenced otherwise. Start your own thread on scaling your combination. I'd do the same for you or others (as I have in the past; and others have helped others). I've gone up to total strangers at the truckstop after filling the Kenworth, and offered my time. That in thirty minutes they'll have something to work with. Thirty minutes I can't really afford.

FWIW, you won't see me offer opinions/advice on electrical issues. And I used to work in that business. Others here are better.

'lectricity'll getcha kilt. Yup.

So will a bad combined rig. 68,000 trailered vehicle wrecks per year (every description). Cut the risk at the beginning is the clean sheet of paper.

The badly-hitched AS is the most common sight on the road. 90%. And a one ton pulling a 25' bouncing on its front axle the worst cliche rig of them all. Pickups can't get out of their own way when solo. So let's cripple the AS while we're at it???

Old 11-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Let me first say, if I offended any Titan owners, it was not my intent and I apologize.
For Mr. Insult who is just a “Serial Poster” to this forum and probably others, GET A LIFE and try being civil if it’s in your makeup. Not sure why you feel it nessesary to be a jerk. It must be all you have in this life. Feeling sorry for you.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
......The territory of cars, and plenty of other types. Better vehicles.
I don't mean to interfere but, with all due respect, I have to say that sounds like an "opinion" to me and as someone recently suggested:

"Just an opinion = meaningless hot air?"

We're all guilty of letting our opinions, rather than documented, factual, exhaustive analysis creep into our postings but I don't think that warrants uncivil responses. Just my meaningless hot air...err...opinion.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Titan is not trying to "compete with the Big 3". Nissan specifically designed it to be a "tweener". For my 8000 some odd pound trailer it is pretty close to the perfect size.

Goldilocks would love it!

It is extremely comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Just rolling up on 20k and I haven't had any quality or warranty issues -- it has never been back to the dealer.

I drove it off the lot for $42,500 including the taxes and tag. For a vehicle with a 5 year/100000 mile warranty backed by Nissan and Cummins.

My first generation Titan went 12 years and 213000 miles with minor repairs so I have great hopes for the new truck...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Let me first say, if I offended any Titan owners, it was not my intent and I apologize.
For Mr. Insult who is just a “Serial Poster” to this forum and probably others, GET A LIFE and try being civil if it’s in your makeup. Not sure why you feel it nessesary to be a jerk. It must be all you have in this life. Feeling sorry for you.
You didn't like that you were challenged about, "the Titan isn't up to it, therefore get a bigger truck". You still haven't offered anything to back that.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I don't mean to interfere but, with all due respect, I have to say that sounds like an "opinion" to me and as someone recently suggested:

"Just an opinion = meaningless hot air?"

We're all guilty of letting our opinions, rather than documented, factual, exhaustive analysis creep into our postings but I don't think that warrants uncivil responses. Just my meaningless hot air...err...opinion.
Does the problem stem from who's opinion it is? Or that you (whomever) can also offer experience and/or the numbers (an analysis of some sort, open to interpretation by others) as part of that opinion. Surely you're not saying all "opinions" are equal?

As to the use of the word, that wasn't my trying to weasel his way out of being challenged on a statement. Go on back up to the posts before the one you've quoted. That was someone not prepared. So be it.

But we aren't talking about color choice, are we? In which case, "opinion" has the meaning intended by "hot air". It's of no consequence. (As above, I long ago recused myself from offering "opinion" about the electrical systems on these rigs. I've worked in that industry, been a general contractor, and have done home and RV electrical repairs. But I don't consider myself the equal of some others around here. They've an innate grasp I don't have. Electricity has "consequences". I know my limits).

The subject of setting up a combination vehicle also has consequences. Severe ones.

By just going thru some basics -- that anyone can do -- shows several ideas prevalent among RV'ers to be "misguided". (Call it, the influence of advertising copy and ego. Is that a civil way of putting that? Because the misuse of the word, misguided, rankles.)

FWIW, I'd help either or any of you. So will others. Put up the scale tickets. Some pics. It's my opinion based on the acquisition of scale numbers, decades of towing these trailers plus others with a range of vehicles, privately & commercially, and is also my day to day living that small changes in setting a hitch can make profound differences in the road manners of a combination vehicle.

You needn't take my word for what "you" can prove to yourself. And if a head start is wanted, try the multi-part series on towing by Andy Thomson in Airstream Life, 2010.

I have a hard time with the fact I now live in era where men don't think it ordinary to take on these things. My father and grandfather were college graduates. War veterans. Didn't faze them at all. I've learned plenty the hard way, my degree notwithstanding.

So you'd rather I used a tack hammer, huh? Sorry, I carry a ball-peen wherever I go. Means I'll only buy the first round of beer.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just not sure why all of the negativity. I read these post to learn from others. Most of us know that what we post are opinions except in my case where I only post facts. Of course many in fact truly believe my facts in fact are only opinions. Unfortunately they are usually right. Anyway lets not attack each other for their opinion. The key is to enjoy life and remember my motto: "Life is to short not to have fun".
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Does the problem stem from who's opinion it is? Or that you (whomever) can also offer experience and/or the numbers (an analysis of some sort, open to interpretation by others) as part of that opinion. Surely you're not saying all "opinions" are equal?
No, that's not what I'm saying. I just found it interesting that after using your "ball peen hammer" on someone for not building a case to back up their opinion, you went ahead and made a statement of your own without substantiation when you said that there were "better vehicles" than pickups. I think we probably both know that's a conditional statement but you didn't bother to state the conditions, something you just got through criticizing another poster for. Rather hypocritical, I thought, and just one example.

It's not my place to tell you what to say or how to say it but as a member of this community I feel it is appropriate to let my opinion be known. When you tell another poster, "No, no one cares about you, Ronman..." I think that goes beyond just disagreeing with their opinion and probably doesn't add much to the discourse.

I'm not trying to initiate a war of words here; just trying to keep things in perspective. If we ever met, I'd be happy to buy that first beer myself.