Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
tire wont go flat, but won't stay at pressure either.

I have a ford F150, bought new in Dec. From day 1 driving off the lot, I noticed a slow leak in one tire.

Took it to the dealer, they said it had a nail or something and patched it. they filled to 36 psi.

The next day is 34, the next 32, the next 31, the next 29..

Took it to discount tire, they said they patched it again. They filled it to 40... then some days later, 38, 37, 36, 32, 31 and holds...

Fill it up... slowly leaks to 31 and holds... won't go any lower, but also wont hold the pressure I put in it. Bizarre.

I don't get it. No ford of course is saying, sorry your problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I have a ford F150, bought new in Dec. From day 1 driving off the lot, I noticed a slow leak in one tire.

Took it to the dealer, they said it had a nail or something and patched it. they filled to 36 psi.

Took it to discount tire, they said they patched it again. They filled it to 40... then some days later, 38, 37, 36, 32, 31 and holds...

Fill it up... slowly leaks to 31 and holds... won't go any lower, but also wont hold the pressure I put in it. Bizarre.

The last new vehicle I got had a 12 month, 12,000 mile tire warranty. If Ford won't stand behind it, find a place that sells the tires you have on your truck, and see what they will do for you through the tire manufacturer's warranty.
You may also have a leaking valve stem or core, or even a wheel problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I was surprised that ford wasn't willing to replace it. Even though in the first conversation they said they would - but now.. that's all different. I admit, this has been since late december, but we also work from home.. so we don't drive this truck daily, sometimes not even weekly.... So it's taken a while, with two attempt fixes to see if they would work, and then I call the dealer and say "hey, this isn't working, i would like the tire replaced." Oh sir, i don't think I can do that......

Not to mention, the selling "Car Pro" dealer I purchased from is an hour and a half away....

I think that brand new F250 I've been eye balling just turned into a brand new GMC 2500 Diesel....
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
That's funny, because on my '09 Silverado LT, I have to replace three electric door lock actuators. Never had to do that on any vehicle before and that's got me thinking about a new F250.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

I guess the solution depends on which problem you want to solve.

1. Failing to hold initial pressure.
2. Failing to go fully flat.

However I'm guessing that the problem is the wheel, tire, tire valve, or all three.

Since no one who may be responsible is doing much for you, I'd suggest replacing all three. If that does not work, buy a Chevy and make sure it has Michelin tires. Then make sure you have spare electric door locks.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Id start by buying new tires and seeing if they would give me a credit for the old ones. Especially since the stockers are usually junk anyways.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Slow Leak

Sounds to me like it may not be the tire. The rim may have a flaw or a crack. One way to know for sure is to submerge the tire and rim in a big tub of water and look for any bubbles. Or you can use some soapy water in a spray bottle and (with the tire removed from the truck) spray everywhere and look for the tiniest bubbles. It may just be that the bead isn't sealed properly. If the bubbles are coming from where the tire and rim meet, that's the problem. Dismount the tire then clean the rim and tire bead with a wire brush to remove anything that isn't supposed to be there. Check for any damage to the tire from the mounting equipment. Maybe apply some soap based tire sealant.
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ever consider taking it off and spraying entire tire with soap solution and watch for foam? Or find old school tire shop with complete submersion water tank. I saw one IIRC that has an air cylinder that pushes it down and held it in the water.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
I was surprised that ford wasn't willing to replace it. Even though in the first conversation they said they would - but now.. that's all different. I admit, this has been since late december, but we also work from home.. so we don't drive this truck daily, sometimes not even weekly.... So it's taken a while, with two attempt fixes to see if they would work, and then I call the dealer and say "hey, this isn't working, i would like the tire replaced." Oh sir, i don't think I can do that......

Not to mention, the selling "Car Pro" dealer I purchased from is an hour and a half away....

I think that brand new F250 I've been eye balling just turned into a brand new GMC 2500 Diesel....
I would find another Ford Dealer. Talk to another Ford dealer and tell them your history with the problem. Your initial warrantee should just replace the tire and or wheel. Sounds like the "Car Pro" people are not fully honoring the Ford warranty. If a rep from the Ford office found out, the problem would be fixed correctly in short order.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Go to walmart, but a cheap kiddie pool. Fill it up and put the tire and wheel in it. I've had to do that with several tires, both Airstream and otherwise to locate leaks. Sometimes wheel, sometimes valve or tire. No one but you has a vested interested in the solution so they won't go to the trouble. Be sure to look into the wheel for bubbles too. As previously stated, wheels do leak.
I would hate for you to buy a tire and discover that the problem was elsewhere. Sorry for the aggravation. Good luck. I hate tire mysteries.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Plasma-

Are you checking that twice patched tire with a good tire gauge or the dash readout on the F150? My rf tire on my '15 F150 always reads lower on the dash than my good quality gauge. Check it out, you could have a bad tp sensor on that wheel which Ford should fix once documented...........

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I had a tire that did that, it would hold 32 pounds for a year but if you pumped it up to 40 it would be back to 32 the next day.

The air has to be escaping somewhere so pump it up and check for leaks with soap and water. If it's the tire go to a tire shop, if the rim, go to the Ford dealer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
Plasma-

Are you checking that twice patched tire with a good tire gauge or the dash readout on the F150? My rf tire on my '15 F150 always reads lower on the dash than my good quality gauge. Check it out, you could have a bad tp sensor on that wheel which Ford should fix once documented...........

Hope this helps.
Both, two tire gauges. All three match
Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I would find another Ford Dealer. Talk to another Ford dealer and tell them your history with the problem. Your initial warrantee should just replace the tire and or wheel. Sounds like the "Car Pro" people are not fully honoring the Ford warranty. If a rep from the Ford office found out, the problem would be fixed correctly in short order.
Did this... "Sorry, since you didn't buy it here ....." Chump excuse, they quoted me 212 for the same hanook stuff.