Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
tire wont go flat, but won't stay at pressure either.

I have a ford F150, bought new in Dec. From day 1 driving off the lot, I noticed a slow leak in one tire.

Took it to the dealer, they said it had a nail or something and patched it. they filled to 36 psi.

The next day is 34, the next 32, the next 31, the next 29..

Took it to discount tire, they said they patched it again. They filled it to 40... then some days later, 38, 37, 36, 32, 31 and holds...

Fill it up... slowly leaks to 31 and holds... won't go any lower, but also wont hold the pressure I put in it. Bizarre.

I don't get it. No ford of course is saying, sorry your problem.
__________________

__________________
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I have a ford F150, bought new in Dec. From day 1 driving off the lot, I noticed a slow leak in one tire.

Took it to the dealer, they said it had a nail or something and patched it. they filled to 36 psi.

The next day is 34, the next 32, the next 31, the next 29..

Took it to discount tire, they said they patched it again. They filled it to 40... then some days later, 38, 37, 36, 32, 31 and holds...

Fill it up... slowly leaks to 31 and holds... won't go any lower, but also wont hold the pressure I put in it. Bizarre.

I don't get it. No ford of course is saying, sorry your problem.
The last new vehicle I got had a 12 month, 12,000 mile tire warranty. If Ford won't stand behind it, find a place that sells the tires you have on your truck, and see what they will do for you through the tire manufacturer's warranty.
You may also have a leaking valve stem or core, or even a wheel problem.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
I was surprised that ford wasn't willing to replace it. Even though in the first conversation they said they would - but now.. that's all different. I admit, this has been since late december, but we also work from home.. so we don't drive this truck daily, sometimes not even weekly.... So it's taken a while, with two attempt fixes to see if they would work, and then I call the dealer and say "hey, this isn't working, i would like the tire replaced." Oh sir, i don't think I can do that......

Not to mention, the selling "Car Pro" dealer I purchased from is an hour and a half away....

I think that brand new F250 I've been eye balling just turned into a brand new GMC 2500 Diesel....
__________________
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 664
That's funny, because on my '09 Silverado LT, I have to replace three electric door lock actuators. Never had to do that on any vehicle before and that's got me thinking about a new F250.

Mike
__________________
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I have a ford F150, bought new in Dec. From day 1 driving off the lot, I noticed a slow leak in one tire.

Took it to the dealer, they said it had a nail or something and patched it. they filled to 36 psi.

The next day is 34, the next 32, the next 31, the next 29..

Took it to discount tire, they said they patched it again. They filled it to 40... then some days later, 38, 37, 36, 32, 31 and holds...

Fill it up... slowly leaks to 31 and holds... won't go any lower, but also wont hold the pressure I put in it. Bizarre.

I don't get it. No ford of course is saying, sorry your problem.
I guess the solution depends on which problem you want to solve.

1. Failing to hold initial pressure.
2. Failing to go fully flat.

However I'm guessing that the problem is the wheel, tire, tire valve, or all three.

Since no one who may be responsible is doing much for you, I'd suggest replacing all three. If that does not work, buy a Chevy and make sure it has Michelin tires. Then make sure you have spare electric door locks.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 317
Id start by buying new tires and seeing if they would give me a credit for the old ones. Especially since the stockers are usually junk anyways.
__________________
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
mykytiukr's Avatar
 
almena , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Slow Leak

Sounds to me like it may not be the tire. The rim may have a flaw or a crack. One way to know for sure is to submerge the tire and rim in a big tub of water and look for any bubbles. Or you can use some soapy water in a spray bottle and (with the tire removed from the truck) spray everywhere and look for the tiniest bubbles. It may just be that the bead isn't sealed properly. If the bubbles are coming from where the tire and rim meet, that's the problem. Dismount the tire then clean the rim and tire bead with a wire brush to remove anything that isn't supposed to be there. Check for any damage to the tire from the mounting equipment. Maybe apply some soap based tire sealant.
__________________
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,054
Ever consider taking it off and spraying entire tire with soap solution and watch for foam? Or find old school tire shop with complete submersion water tank. I saw one IIRC that has an air cylinder that pushes it down and held it in the water.
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I was surprised that ford wasn't willing to replace it. Even though in the first conversation they said they would - but now.. that's all different. I admit, this has been since late december, but we also work from home.. so we don't drive this truck daily, sometimes not even weekly.... So it's taken a while, with two attempt fixes to see if they would work, and then I call the dealer and say "hey, this isn't working, i would like the tire replaced." Oh sir, i don't think I can do that......

Not to mention, the selling "Car Pro" dealer I purchased from is an hour and a half away....

I think that brand new F250 I've been eye balling just turned into a brand new GMC 2500 Diesel....
I would find another Ford Dealer. Talk to another Ford dealer and tell them your history with the problem. Your initial warrantee should just replace the tire and or wheel. Sounds like the "Car Pro" people are not fully honoring the Ford warranty. If a rep from the Ford office found out, the problem would be fixed correctly in short order.
__________________
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
1998 34' Limited
Buford , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 111
Go to walmart, but a cheap kiddie pool. Fill it up and put the tire and wheel in it. I've had to do that with several tires, both Airstream and otherwise to locate leaks. Sometimes wheel, sometimes valve or tire. No one but you has a vested interested in the solution so they won't go to the trouble. Be sure to look into the wheel for bubbles too. As previously stated, wheels do leak.
I would hate for you to buy a tire and discover that the problem was elsewhere. Sorry for the aggravation. Good luck. I hate tire mysteries.
__________________
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
ShinyPete
 
ShinyPete's Avatar
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 317
Plasma-

Are you checking that twice patched tire with a good tire gauge or the dash readout on the F150? My rf tire on my '15 F150 always reads lower on the dash than my good quality gauge. Check it out, you could have a bad tp sensor on that wheel which Ford should fix once documented...........

Hope this helps.
__________________
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
AldeanFan's Avatar
 
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 654
Images: 3
I had a tire that did that, it would hold 32 pounds for a year but if you pumped it up to 40 it would be back to 32 the next day.

The air has to be escaping somewhere so pump it up and check for leaks with soap and water. If it's the tire go to a tire shop, if the rim, go to the Ford dealer.
__________________
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
Plasma-

Are you checking that twice patched tire with a good tire gauge or the dash readout on the F150? My rf tire on my '15 F150 always reads lower on the dash than my good quality gauge. Check it out, you could have a bad tp sensor on that wheel which Ford should fix once documented...........

Hope this helps.
Both, two tire gauges. All three match
__________________
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I would find another Ford Dealer. Talk to another Ford dealer and tell them your history with the problem. Your initial warrantee should just replace the tire and or wheel. Sounds like the "Car Pro" people are not fully honoring the Ford warranty. If a rep from the Ford office found out, the problem would be fixed correctly in short order.
Did this... "Sorry, since you didn't buy it here ....." Chump excuse, they quoted me 212 for the same hanook stuff.
__________________

__________________
'15 27fb Signature
'12 Chevy 2500HD Gasser
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Pressure: Shore pressure high, All pressure in trailer low.... bhooves Sinks, Showers & Toilets 9 10-16-2016 04:22 PM
Atwood Electric Start wont stay on PetesPup Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 2 09-28-2009 01:41 AM
Tire Pressure Gauges- Pressure Varies! Ray Eklund Tires 14 07-06-2008 09:34 AM
Water heater wont stay lit at high altitude Airstream25 Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 2 01-26-2008 07:43 PM
Water heater prob, pilot won't stay lit & heater won't fire. johnboy Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 1 06-20-2006 05:24 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.