Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Tire pressure for Goodyear endurance

I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2016 25’ fb flying cloud with Goodyear endurance. The max PSI is 80. The Manual with OEM states 65 psi. What is the best tire pressure for the new tires? Assume I am traveling in Texas heat normal row weight.
Thanks
brendakerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

There is a variety of existing threads on the GYE and tire pressures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GYE&...com&gws_rd=ssl
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sa-157249.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ce-166511.html

A few tire experts have commented in those threads about GYE tire pressures, and it would provide excellent continuity if you would Quote those posts, and ask questions of the experts and other posters IMO.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
^^^^^^ x2.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Best to know your weights of your tow vehicle connected/loaded up with the AS. Then also get the AS trailer unhooked, with both wheels on one scale and the tongue jack on the other scale. That will give you the info you need for your TW and your weight on the wheels. Short of weighing each wheel independently, you can just dived the weight by 4 and look at the chart from Goodyear Endurance. Many of us found that running at "Max Pressure" can cause popped rivets, so I choose to use the chart which sets my tires at 50-55PSI. No more popped rivets or broken hinges when I arrive. Enclosed are my scale weights and the attachment below has the GYE scale recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale weights.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	338892  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv_inflation GYE tires.pdf (506.1 KB, 162 views)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Best to know your weights of your tow vehicle connected/loaded up with the AS. Then also get the AS trailer unhooked, with both wheels on one scale and the tongue jack on the other scale. That will give you the info you need for your TW and your weight on the wheels. Short of weighing each wheel independently, you can just dived the weight by 4 and look at the chart from Goodyear Endurance. Many of us found that running at "Max Pressure" can cause popped rivets, so I choose to use the chart which sets my tires at 50-55PSI. No more popped rivets or broken hinges when I arrive. Enclosed are my scale weights and the attachment below has the GYE scale recommendations.
Correction above; I meant to say, all 4 wheels/tires on one scale and tongue jack on the other.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Looking at your scale ticket, I assumed that’s what you did - disconnected the TV and put the jack on the “steer” scale and all trailer tires on the “drive” scale. That’s cool - I never thought about doing that to get the tongue weight (I calculate based on other measures). So you have to unhitch, Drive the TV away, and then rehitch to take it off the scales yes? So long as there isn’t a line behind you I think that’s a cool idea I might try sometime!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
You will receive many answers to this. For me it was trial and error. We have a '17 25' fc fbq. We started out with 80 psi per the sticker on the TV. However, found it had way too much bounce. After reading NUMEROUS threads it became apparent the pressure could be lowered - we dropped to 73 - much better, but still bounce once the outside temps increased. I'm at 70 PSI cold and it seems to ride much better but will monitor through the summer, as we have several trips planned. IMHO I would say drop to 72 and monitor especially if you have the FB - it's easy to tell what happens around the seating area in the back.
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I tried to nail this down a while back and gave up.
You can read Goodyear's chart (which is the same as GY's chart for Marathons) and when you plug in your weight, you'll say "No way".
Or you can run the maximum shown on the sidewall.
Or you can listen to the so called experts.

I listened to all the advice and decided that 65 psi was right for me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I run whatever the tire states. Mine states 80. Tire manufacture writes the psi based on the tire, not based on what it is connected to.

This is one of those threads that will have too much information to be useful to you.

Good luck.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A reminder from Post #2 . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

There is a variety of existing threads on the GYE and tire pressures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GYE&...com&gws_rd=ssl
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sa-157249.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ce-166511.html

A few tire experts have commented in those threads about GYE tire pressures, and it would provide excellent continuity if you would Quote those posts, and ask questions of the experts and other posters IMO.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I run 70 psi on my Sovereign which is usually at about 8000# gvw. Seems fine. At 80 psi, it was pretty bouncy (we'd find pillows on the floor...)
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Looking at your scale ticket, I assumed that’s what you did - disconnected the TV and put the jack on the “steer” scale and all trailer tires on the “drive” scale. That’s cool - I never thought about doing that to get the tongue weight (I calculate based on other measures). So you have to unhitch, Drive the TV away, and then rehitch to take it off the scales yes? So long as there isn’t a line behind you I think that’s a cool idea I might try sometime!
Yes; weighed TV on one scale and AS on the other while hitched; then disconnected with hitch on steer scale and AS on the other...they had 2 scales and there was no line...in MT.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I run the endurance tires at 62 psi for my 25’ forward bed.The right front tire was running about 6to7 degrees hotter so I added 3to 4 psi and now the temperatures are similar.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5155.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	348051
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
My tires say 80psi cold. That’s what I fill them to. Running too low can cause the tire to heat up and blow. I talked to a camper that had a tire blow and it messed up his camper real bad.

Not only that but the trailer is going to pull harder, plus the tires aren’t going to wear properly.

I figure the manufacturers that engineered the tire know more about the correct tire pressure than I do.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
My tires say 80psi cold. That’s what I fill them to. Running too low can cause the tire to heat up and blow. I talked to a camper that had a tire blow and it messed up his camper real bad.

Not only that but the trailer is going to pull harder, plus the tires aren’t going to wear properly.

I figure the manufacturers that engineered the tire know more about the correct tire pressure than I do.
Well, you certainly can run the pressure "you" think you want! What's wrong with following the Goodyear recommended pressure guide on PSI for weight of your AS?? Seems folks do what they want anyway, so hope you don't have too many popped rivets, broken hinges, etc... your assumption on issues with running lower pressure are not accurate, by the way..may want to read a few of the past threads on this.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
My tires say 80psi cold. That’s what I fill them to. .
Actually they say 80psi max cold.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Well, you certainly can run the pressure "you" think you want! What's wrong with following the Goodyear recommended pressure guide on PSI for weight of your AS?? Seems folks do what they want anyway, so hope you don't have too many popped rivets, broken hinges, etc... your assumption on issues with running lower pressure are not accurate, by the way..may want to read a few of the past threads on this.
...Better over than under.
What assumptions are you discussing? Under inflation is much more problematic, and tires will run hotter increasing the chance of failure.

I do what I think I should do...not what you think I should do...see my signature. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Actually they say 80psi max cold.
Yes that’s right. And that’s what I fill them to. Messing around with the tire pressure is tricky.

If you have it too low for the weight of the trailer, it can cause stress on suspension components, break failure, handling and steering problems, possible tire failure and irregular wear and tear.

Since I know what the max is then I have a number to go by.

By the way there is a label on the outside of each trailer that states the recommended tire pressure. Mine says 80psi cold.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
...Better over than under.
What assumptions are you discussing? Under inflation is much more problematic, and tires will run hotter increasing the chance of failure.

I do what I think I should do...not what you think I should do...see my signature. TETO

Bob
����
Not advocating running "under inflation"; just saying the "recommended pressure" for the weight/load per the mfg works for me...you can surely do what you want. Glad your having no issues; hope your "rivets and hinges" survive...Just saying on the roads/highways I travel, over-inflation from recommended pressure have produced problems mentioned...if your not having this issue, great; "keep on trucking". And of course, we all see your signature...
Old 08-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Not advocating running "under inflation"; just saying the "recommended pressure" for the weight/load per the mfg works for me...you can surely do what you want. Glad your having no issues; hope your "rivets and hinges" survive...Just saying on the roads/highways I travel, over-inflation from recommended pressure have produced problems mentioned...if your not having this issue, great; "keep on trucking". And of course, we all see your signature...
Still curious about those under inflation assumptions you referenced...what were they?

Bob
🇺🇸