Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Time to change to RAM?

So this really ticks me off. I bought my pickup in 2017 (F150) with the navigation system. In 2 years Ford STILL has maps on it as old as the hills. STILL haven't sent out updates. TERRIBLE support. If they charge $800 for unsupported navigations systems they don't deserve my business.

Not only that but TLC truck gave the new RAM a much better review than the F150. I've sensed that Ford has gotten really lazy. I can't believe all the recalls on my F150. Time for a change?

For those that have newer RAM's and GM products how are they on the navigation systems?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Whoa...stop and take a deep breath.

I have a 2016 RAM, and it uses the same NAV as my 2015 Jeep. Both have map databases that are from circa 2014. They’ve issued new updates, but you have to buy them — at $150 a pop (although they’re “on sale” for $99 this month...), and word in the RAM and Jeep forums is that they only bring the maps up to 2017 or so. Those who have shelled out the bucks for the updates are mostly unhappy with them—as I was the few times I bought the updates for my previous Jeep.

As to recalls...it feels like every month I get a new recall notice on my RAM. Some of them are minor (the Kidde fire extinguisher recall was one), and others are not (water pump failure leading to fire).

I love my truck, but if those two things are what has you wishing to switch to RAM, save your money.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I love my Ford and yes you have to upgrade the navigation software with a new one. Just about all GPS systems do that.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
If the map updates are the same for your F150 as they are for my 2017 F250, the latest one comes out this month. I think they must do a refresh every couple of years. You can check out your vehicle using the site link below.

FWIW, I've not known any manufacturer to just "send out updates". It will be interesting to hear from GM or RAM owners on their experiences but mine, with any number of different manufacturers, is that you have to pay for the latest navigation database.

https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_...ce=Ford-Owners

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My 2017 F-250 hops on the home WiFi and does updates fairly often .... I can't imagine getting an update any way other than over the internet these days.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
this spring was time for a new truck. At this point in my life I wanted a little luxury and some driver assists. Have been a Ford person of many years, then switched to Chevy for the Duramxax. Took both Ford King Ranch and Chevy High Country for test rides. Both rode like my 09 Duramax. On a whim, went to a Ram dealer, asked if they had a Laramie Longhorn 1500. They did. The DW and I drove it, looked at each other, back to the dealer and bought it. Rides much better than Ford/Chevy, has all the whistles and bells and some I probably haven't found yet. Lots of safety equipment. Just got back from a trip towing the AS 25 GT to Mo from Pa and back and am very pleased. The GPS does not have campgrounds but if you have the address, it will get you there. Like all GPS units, it sometimes will try to gt you to go one way when you would go "tother way" I'm not a tech person but love the RAM
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have a 2017 2500 Laramie and just purchased the latest update. I’m not thrilled. It looks the same to me. Graphics aren’t any better, routes look the same. Maybe I didn’t do it right but kinda blew that that $100.00 for nothing.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A few of the high-end luxury marques use google maps that updates more or less continuously via your data connection, but other than that we're limited to updates and I agree that Ford has been painfully slow about updating Sync3 maps. I wanted to buy a map update before a 6-week trip I took earlier in the summer and was annoyed that there isn't one available for my '17. There are LOTS of new roads and traffic patterns that aren't properly represented by the maps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all the recalls." There have been a total of 2 for my '17 F150, and neither is critical. There may be one more regional one about the door latches...

I have 32k trouble-free miles on my 2017 F150, more than half of which are towing the Airstream.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
We have a 2018 F350. We usually use Apple Carplay from our tethered iphone, which gives us access to online versions of Google Maps and Apple Maps. We prefer those to the built-in maps because of better traffic awareness. I have heard that Android Auto gives similar benefits.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
My issue is not that I have to buy map updates. I knew that. The problem is they aren't there to buy! I went online and talked to Ford today, and they said they aren't available. I get all kinds of mixed messages. Dealers are clueless about updates. I mean how hard can this be? Garmin updates their maps every month! And you get them for free!

And it's different updating the sync 3 software. That updates over the internet. I have that updated, and that is free.

The navigation system is something entirely different.

The system program itself is very good. Actually if they would send out updates at least every year it is a far better nav system than my Garmin. But when we have traveled we have to use our Garmin or Apple phone. Many of the roads have changed. If I followed the NAV on the Ford I'd be lost. It just flat out irritating.

As to my Ford I'm on my 4th recall. I've purchased new cars for many years. Never had this many recalls. And one problem wasn't actually a recall, but when I was rotating the tires the chrome lug nuts were so bad they needed to be replaced because they had expanded and the dealer didn't want to take them off unless they had new ones to replace them. The dealer was gracious enough to order them and install them free since I was out of my warranty by 4,000 miles. Of course I asked them, "So is this going to happen again?" And the dealer said, "probably." Wonderful. Ford can't even make a decent lug nut?

One of the reasons I like the onboard nav is that it's one less thing I have to look at on my dashboard. I already have the rear camera.

As far as towing and power I like my F150. It does a fine job, and overall it's a good pickup. I just think when we pay over 50,000 for a vehicle that not being able to update NAV maps is just dumb. Ford needs to get its act together.

And on top of that just a few other petty issues. Excuse my rant. Why the heck for 50,000 don't we get cab temperature control and garage door openers on the visor? RAM gives it for that price. Again, small things. But when you start weighing all the pros and cons that RAM is starting to look like a real competitor.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So this really ticks me off. I bought my pickup in 2017 (F150) with the navigation system. In 2 years Ford STILL has maps on it as old as the hills. STILL haven't sent out updates. TERRIBLE support. If they charge $800 for unsupported navigations systems they don't deserve my business.

Not only that but TLC truck gave the new RAM a much better review than the F150. I've sensed that Ford has gotten really lazy. I can't believe all the recalls on my F150. Time for a change?

For those that have newer RAM's and GM products how are they on the navigation systems?
Hey- that's pretty sensitive statement...you bought your F150 just for the navigation?? I wouldn't 86 your TV just because of that... my cell phone google maps still sends me the wrong direction...my 2017 Ford is pretty good, most of the time. It's an issue with all these devices and in many cases, the current roads may not have been there when the data was entered, so they can get screwed up sometimes...I always check my cell for directions if I am concerned about the Ford nav system in an unfamiliar area...also carry a map. Not a Ford issue, I assure you...

By the way, have you visited the F150 or Ford forum on this topic?? Lots of data there...

If you want a RAM, find one with a decent payload and buy it if you hate your Ford so much...(finding a RAM with the "decent payload" above 1300lbs is your challenge; not the maping features..)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Time to change to RAM?

I’ve totally solved these issues. I buy Toyota vehicles nowadays.

I’m still laughing at the new Chevy commercials touting the wonderful new 120 volt AC outlet in the pickup bed. My 2008 Tacoma (and all since) had that as a standard feature. Also control all my garage doors from the mirror buttons, etc.

No recalls on either the 2008 or 2012 Taco so far...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
My issue is not that I have to buy map updates. I knew that. The problem is they aren't there to buy! I went online and talked to Ford today, and they said they aren't available. I get all kinds of mixed messages. Dealers are clueless about updates. I mean how hard can this be? Garmin updates their maps every month! And you get them for free!
Your dealer (or Ford) needs to check out the link I provided in post #4 above. I found the site in 10 seconds with Google, entered my vehicle info, and it told me a new nav database will be out this month. I just pulled up your vehicle info and it shows a new update will be also available for your F150 in July 2019.

I prefer in-dash navigation to phone based nav programs because it's easier to interface with them while driving and you never have to worry about being somewhere without a cell signal but I still won't spend $150 for a Ford update. 95% of the time the "old" in-dash database will be good enough, and for the other 5%, I'll let my wife do back up on her phone while I drive.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I’m not sure how or even if the nav in my Ram works. The IPhone is much better. The Cummins makes up for any shortcomings in the nav department. What an engine! Love it.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
We have navigation on the 2018 Tahoe, but usually use WAZE with carplay, and it displays on the screen, gives you all sorts of warnings about debris in the road, radar traps, etc......oh and its free......and of course we have pandora going too, so the mobile is hooked up to the Truck regardless.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I have a 2019 RAM and I agree with you the CarPlay and WAZE are in my opinion are far superior to the in-dash system that RAM has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
We have navigation on the 2018 Tahoe, but usually use WAZE with carplay, and it displays on the screen, gives you all sorts of warnings about debris in the road, radar traps, etc......oh and its free......and of course we have pandora going too, so the mobile is hooked up to the Truck regardless.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Time to change to RAM?

If you’re bent on getting a new TV and have a smartphone, ensure it supports CarPlay or the Android version.

You can also upgrade your existing radio to something that supports those and is a lot less $ than a new truck (though it’s a great excuse)! Check out crutchfield

I just picked up a 2019 duramax, it’s impressive. I also really like the no-contract WiFi hotspot in the truck.

I will readily admit the Ram was the most impressive, but $22k more than a similarly equipped chev.
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
A lot of the new trucks and car entertainment centers have either Android auto or apple auto.

For Android auto, just plug in you Android phone via the USB and after a brief setup, you will see Google Maps on the entertainment center screen.

I did this for my 2019 Ford F250.

Apple also has this as well if you have an iPhone but I haven't tried it.
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
We get Google maps on our nav screen on our 2017 xlt. Works great. Ours has been in for 2 recalls. And it took a second trip to get the door latches working 100%. Unfortunately, it’s in the shop now for a complete timing chain and tensioner assembly replacement. But under warranty so that’s fine. The eco boost is a monster. And we have 1810 lbs payload. Our last 2 tow rigs were Chrysler. Never again. The only thing I would replace our 150 with would be a Chevy/duramax/Allison 2500.
BoilerRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Interesting perspectives. I have always bought cars with the NAV systems and have been thoroughly bothered by the cost and infrequency of updates. In my Volvo it takes hours for the update from a thumb drive, so I just stopped updating. There are only a couple of services in the country or world doing the map database and updates so no real options. But, I do like the simplicity of integrated navigation.
I suspect that many people today use their phones and Google maps, but I am a holdout on unlimited data service, I refuse to do it.
As long as I have owned trucks, I am content to put my Garmin on the dash. They do FREE updates at least quarterly, which is the business model I choose to support. I also like the RV features, including elevation profiles, in my Garmin RV.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote