Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Rose , Texas
Car play is the answer if the truck supports it. If not, buy a new iPhone and use the maps APP and let your passenger hold it or get a cheap mount for it. That would be cheaper in the long run if NAV updates from Ford cost $99. My 2018 Duramax works perfect with CarPlay and my dealer tried to fleece me with an Onstar subscription. Fake News.
SDP 28 FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #62
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The map update does not have to be purchased via the dealer. Get the latest specific SD card number or CD release number from your dealer (regardless of vehicle manufacturer) and then search the net to find other outlets. Most can be had in the range of $30-35 for SD card systems, CDs run $50-60.

For example, a brand new 2019 Ford Sync3 SD can be found here:

https://www.ebay.com/p/2019-Map-Upda...ord/3019112754

Historically, map update versions are generally made available on a two year cycle.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
The map update does not have to be purchased via the dealer. Get the latest specific SD card number or CD release number from your dealer (regardless of vehicle manufacturer) and then search the net to find other outlets. Most can be had in the range of $30-35 for SD card systems, CDs run $50-60.

For example, a brand new 2019 Ford Sync3 SD can be found here:

https://www.ebay.com/p/2019-Map-Upda...ord/3019112754

Historically, map update versions are generally made available on a two year cycle.
They're going to take your money. For Sync3 the maps are keyed to your VIN. For Sync and Sync 2 the eBay copies worked, but not for Sync 3.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #64

Dallas , Texas
iPhone!!
No charge for superior maps, constantly updated.
RRcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_tired View Post
Our Tesla updates maps and software frequently. Only problem is it won't tow our 23 FC.
Leave it to Tesla to be the exception!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I have a 2017 2500 Laramie and just purchased the latest update. I’m not thrilled. It looks the same to me. Graphics aren’t any better, routes look the same. Maybe I didn’t do it right but kinda blew that that $100.00 for nothing.
I use Waze, and really like it, I have the Nav system in the wife's 2017 Equinox and it is okay. I really can't imagine that the roads are changing so much that I would need an update more than every 3-4 years. The "look" may change but most routes will not . I like the wife's nav but I much prefer Waze and use it even in her vehicle. What's not to like about crowd sourced nav? Instant traffic alerts, accident reports, construction delays/detours and more. At least one manufacturer, I forget which one, is now installing Waze as their nav app.
CanyonMan
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #67
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Simple fix. When I bought my new Ford Flex, I was able to find one without navigation! I use ApplePlay, which displays full screen on my system. Apple maps, Google maps and also Wayze. Way better nav system than factory supplied, and no $ for needless upgrades.
Try it with your system.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L Engine and the Max Trailering package. The navigation system is superb and an annual navigation data base update is available (around $150 most of the year or it's offered for $99 for about a month each year when first released). I have not upgraded the nav data base yet, but I plan to the next time around. Also, the GM IntelliLink system will directly interface with Android Auto/Google Navigation & Maps or Apple Carplay. Additionally, I've added the free Weather Channel App and a few others as the app interface selection is pretty broad. I just set my phone as a WiFi Hot Spot and use my Verizon data which I'm already paying for rather than using the GM WiFi system. Note, the integral GPS requires no WiFi like most other vehicle GPS systems.

I wouldn't buy a different truck just because of this map database issue if I was satisfied with the vehicle in general. My concern about the light duty Fords is that they are using a small displacement V6 with dual turbos to make up for the displacement. Since the truck/trailer gross combination weight (GCW) is approximately doubled when towing (Versus solo) and the engine displacement is small it relies on boost for torque/HP. That does not bode well for durability over the years. That's my issue with the EcoBoost engine and it's an opinion that is not shared by all. I think that the F150 is an excellent truck overall. The Ram is also an excellent truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_130213.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	347511   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_125901.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	347512  

Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Factory installed navigation (NAVI) on any vehicle is so outdated as a factory option that having that option installed on a new/late model vehicle makes little to no difference to most buyer's in today's new or almost new vehicle market. The ONLY people looking for factory installed NAVI are 60+ years old and still use a flip phone.

15 years ago NAVI made all the difference between selling and not selling that vehicle particularly in the "High Line" vehicle market. Today the only time NAVI even makes the discussion is with older buyer's who have a hard time embracing technology.

With the different navigations apps such as WAZE, Google and others that are available on your phone that are FAR SUPERIOR to any factory installed navigation system and the fact that your phone can be easily "Paired" with your vehicles audio system buying a factory installed navigation system is a BIG WASTE OF MONEY!

Vintage: Your comment about +60 years old and flip phone reflects the opinionated arrogance of a know-it-all old geezer.

For those in the conversation who are more constructive:

I use and appreciate the factory NAV system in my 2017 RAM, as I find it easier and less distracting (hence safer) than using my iPhone in a mount. I have state of the art NAV on my iPhone and iPad (both terrestrial and nautical) which I use for planning and backup in uncertain situations. A sailor never relies on one source of navigation. Add the First Mate with Nat’l Geo or Rand Mac on her lap, and I’m very well directed[emoji6].

That said, I decline to pay the exorbitant update charge for the RAM NAV system. I’m not running UBER in Dallas, and highways and byways in the USA don’t change that much in a year or three. It is absurd that FCA, Ford and GM do not provide wi-fi NAV updates for at last five years.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Really????? My Chevrolet 6.2L has 420 hp and 460 ftlb torque. You must be passing 5.3L .......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
I am on my second ram 1500 4x4 5.7L hemi used for towing my 28ft FC. Dry weight of trailer is 5900lbs. I have never found the 1250lb payload rating to be a constraint with the bed full. I use a husky WD hitch with 1800lb bars which moves the tongue weight forward to load the TV axles evenly. I have towed my trailer for close to 50,000 miles with this configuration all over the West and Canada without issue. GM and Ford cannot come close to the gas performance of the 5.7L hemi engine @400hp/400ft-lbs of torque. I regularly pass GM/Ford gas F150's on hills. I am not up on diesel performances between manufacturers as I have no need for any more hp/torque then what I have. Prior to my RAM purchases I owned a F150 5.2L and after 75K miles the engine was shot from tappet wear. So..I am pretty much a RAM customer now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So this really ticks me off. I bought my pickup in 2017 (F150) with the navigation system. In 2 years Ford STILL has maps on it as old as the hills. STILL haven't sent out updates. TERRIBLE support. If they charge $800 for unsupported navigations systems they don't deserve my business.

Not only that but TLC truck gave the new RAM a much better review than the F150. I've sensed that Ford has gotten really lazy. I can't believe all the recalls on my F150. Time for a change?

For those that have newer RAM's and GM products how are they on the navigation systems?

Meh. Google or Apple map = free. Transmits right onto your dash screen. Waze is even better, it’ll tell you where the wrecks and cops are, though no Airstreamer goes above 65mph....right?
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Swapped 1500 for 2500 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
To gypsydad's point - definitely check the driver's door sticker for ACTUAL payload. I was told our Ram 1500's payload was 1840# by the salesperson based on his Ram Configuration Tools - they dealer-traded for the vehicle. A few weeks after we picked it up I discovered it was really 1220#. Had I known that I would have opted for a Ram 2500 gas that's in the 3000# payload range.
Still working with the dealer to get the payload we were sold...

Good luck!
After 7 months of wrangling we negotiated the swap - dealer took back the 1500 with 1220 lbs payload for a 2019 2500 with 2940 lbs payload! I’m exhausted but very happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17CFF323-CC37-40E5-8200-9C134AB95842.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	347528  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Looks nice! Enjoy your travels and towing.
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
After 7 months of wrangling we negotiated the swap - dealer took back the 1500 with 1220 lbs payload for a 2019 2500 with 2940 lbs payload! I’m exhausted but very happy!
CONGRATS!!!

Glad they did they right thing and worked with you on this!
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So this really ticks me off. I bought my pickup in 2017 (F150) with the navigation system. In 2 years Ford STILL has maps on it as old as the hills. STILL haven't sent out updates. TERRIBLE support. If they charge $800 for unsupported navigations systems they don't deserve my business.

Not only that but TLC truck gave the new RAM a much better review than the F150. I've sensed that Ford has gotten really lazy. I can't believe all the recalls on my F150. Time for a change?

For those that have newer RAM's and GM products how are they on the navigation systems?
Most OEM NAV systems *SUCK*...

If I had the option of getting the 12" screen on my RAM without the NAV, I would have done so in a heartbeat.

As others have stated AndroidAuto, Waze, or CarPlay are superior products for the vast majority of the time. If you are worried about RV specific information, cell signal and data, then get a dedicated GPS unit... even with lifetime maps they are damned cheaper than they used to be!
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Vintage: Your comment about +60 years old and flip phone reflects the opinionated arrogance of a know-it-all old geezer.

For those in the conversation who are more constructive:

I use and appreciate the factory NAV system in my 2017 RAM, as I find it easier and less distracting (hence safer) than using my iPhone in a mount. I have state of the art NAV on my iPhone and iPad (both terrestrial and nautical) which I use for planning and backup in uncertain situations. A sailor never relies on one source of navigation. Add the First Mate with Nat’l Geo or Rand Mac on her lap, and I’m very well directed[emoji6].

That said, I decline to pay the exorbitant update charge for the RAM NAV system. I’m not running UBER in Dallas, and highways and byways in the USA don’t change that much in a year or three. It is absurd that FCA, Ford and GM do not provide wi-fi NAV updates for at last five years.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Scratch my first sentence. Not necessary to criticize others to express a different opinion.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Factory installed navigation (NAVI) on any vehicle is so outdated as a factory option that having that option installed on a new/late model vehicle makes little to no difference to most buyer's in today's new or almost new vehicle market. The ONLY people looking for factory installed NAVI are 60+ years old and still use a flip phone.

15 years ago NAVI made all the difference between selling and not selling that vehicle particularly in the "High Line" vehicle market. Today the only time NAVI even makes the discussion is with older buyer's who have a hard time embracing technology.

With the different navigations apps such as WAZE, Google and others that are available on your phone that are FAR SUPERIOR to any factory installed navigation system and the fact that your phone can be easily "Paired" with your vehicles audio system buying a factory installed navigation system is a BIG WASTE OF MONEY!
I find it rather arrogant of you to refer to us folks who happen to be 60+ and using a "flip" phone, did it ever occur to you that some of us may PREFER a flip phone?
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #78
Rivet Master

I've worked with computers for many years, as a systems analyst and coding when necessary . I designed and wrote an automated system for a well-known sail-maker to produce his sails, including spinnakers. I only mention this to put my choice of navigation system for my Dodge Ram 2500 in perspective. It's the same as
PecanMan5 's choice:
https://ebay.to/2y8UWkf
Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Dang over 60 and own an iPhone Xs. I also like built in nav for somethings. Guess I’m out of date too 🧐
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
You don’t need a Nav system use your phone.
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote