Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Depends whether you want a car with a pickup body or a real truck.

There I said it.
You must mean the cutesy Ford with the passenger car based ecoboost motors.

Let me see...EB fitted to Mustang, Focus RS, Lincoln MKC, MKS, Lincoln Contenental,Edge, Fusion, Exploder, Flex... All nice passenger cars.

Toyota's beef filled 5.7L V8 in only fitted to their body on frame trucks.

All kidding aside, the EB motors are great motors. Toyota will follow suit for their next gen. But with Toyota levels of reliability and durability.

I digress, we must be getting off topic. To the OP, what are your priorities? Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name trucks these days.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:28 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
You must mean the cutesy Ford with the passenger car based ecoboost motors.

Let me see...EB fitted to Mustang, Focus RS, Lincoln MKC, MKS, Lincoln Contenental,Edge, Fusion, Exploder, Flex... All nice passenger cars.

Toyota's beef filled 5.7L V8 in only fitted to their body on frame trucks.

All kidding aside, the EB motors are great motors. Toyota will follow suit for their next gen. But with Toyota levels of reliability and durability.

I digress, we must be getting off topic. To the OP, what are your priorities? Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name trucks these days.
Nope, my preference is a 3/4 or 1: ton with a large gas or Diesel engine. Turbocharged little engines belong in my wife’s car. As far as reliability goes there are rows of Toyota late models stacked up right next to the domestic BRANDS at our local pick-a-part which prove once the shine wears off they all break.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
As far as reliability goes there are rows of Toyota late models stacked up right next to the domestic BRANDS at our local pick-a-part which prove once the shine wears off they all break.
Most likely have been wrecked. Glancing at a pick-a-part lot is hardly a good way of determining overall reliability.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
No Question - Sierra

Sierra - Comfort, quiet, professional,superb mileage.

Recommend 1500 SLT, Leather Heat/Cool Powert Seats, Sunroof, 20" Rims, Bose Sound System

Mileage - Expressway 22-24 MPG / Towing 17-18

Regards,
StevieB

-----------------------
WBCCI 1095
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
3/4 or 1 ton. No worries, put a cap on, load generator, firewood, water, half a dozen kids, bikes, golf cart, grill and STILL tow your new 30 foot airstream when you decide to get it
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #46
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if I'm repeating something...

The OP mentioned a 2018 Sierra and there are several incentives on that model if you purchase by January 2, 2019 - first responder, school teacher, military and others. In addition, if you were a Costco member on or before October 1, 2018 there is an additional incentive as well as a Costco gift card - the GM incentive for Costco members can be as high as $1000 depending on model and the Costco gift card is $300 or $700 depending on your level of membership. By the way the Costco membership can be upgraded on the spot to receive the higher gift card. Another Air Forums member received the maximum $1700 (combined) for a recent Sierra 2500 purchase.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Nope, my preference is a 3/4 or 1: ton
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
Not everyone feels that way. If a truck is also a daily driver, most folks don't like needing a stepladder to get in. They like to park in a normal parking space, and they enjoy a ride more car like and less dump truck like.
If a F-350 is good, then why not a F-650? After all, this is the AS forum where more is more.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
And here comes all the HD diesel bros who can't help but pat themselves on the back.

Way off topic guys, and is not helping this thread in anyway.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I tow my 2017 30' International with a 2016 Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax and love it, I mean it's incredible. The brakes are extremely well designed and feel perfect when stopping with the AS attached. The diesel is excellent, 14.5 MPG while towing. The transmission is excellent, stays at 1600rpm at 65 mph going up the Appalacian Mountains, incredible. You can see, I love my GMC Sierra.

My wife drives a Toyota Sequoia with the 5.7 gas engine. The Toyota's are excellent vehicles and may be the best build, most reliable you can buy. But, they have one big flaw...brakes! The brakes on the Toyota's are under sized, they are weak at best. At 140,000 miles I've replaced the front rotors twice and the backs once, and have to have the rotors turned about every 20,000 miles. They are alway soft feeling even when new. I can't imagine pulling my AS with this vehicle because I'm not confident the brakes can stop adequately. I have a good friend who pulls a 34 travel trailer with a 2016 Tacoma and he loves the truck but is looking for the parts to upsize his rotors. At 40,000 miles he started to get a pretty good shimmy in the steering wheel when braking. I've had the Sequoia brakes redone by a few different shops and they all say the same thing, Toyota is famous for weak brakes.

The 5.7 engine is extremely solid and at 140,000 miles it still runs just like it did when new. But, it has to downshift when traveling up medium grades with only 2 people in the vehicle. My buddy's Tacoma never shifts into top gear when towing! I could not accept that. I love going down the road at 1600 RPM at 65 mph, which by the way is the exact same RPM the truck runs at when I'm not towing. I've never seen a gas engine run at the same RPM when towing a 30' trailer as it does when not towing.

The Sierra with the diesel is so much more impressive. The suspension is much more solid than the Sequoia, but it is an SUV and not a Pickup truck so I image it is sprung softer.

Bottom line, if you're buying the vehicle to tow, I would recommend the Sierra. The GMC may not be as completely reliable in the end, but it is a very good vehicle and it is very much designed to tow.

I say all the above and I'm a person who after 41 years of owning and driving vehicles would tell anyone that Toyota builds the most durable most reliable vehicles you can buy. But I also know they have flaws, in this case it's the brakes. Trust me, if you like brakes that stop you with no effort on the pedal and the vehicle stops smoothly with no steering wheel shimmy, you most likely will not be happy with the Toyota.

Good luck!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. As a long time Toyota Tacoma owner, I wouldn't even consider towing a 34 footer with one...it does fine with my 2007 22 foot International CCD Airstream..but then again its only a V-6 engine. For a 34 foot anything, I'm not convinced a Tacoma should ever even be considered.

Brakes work just fine, and always have, so I'm not seeing the same anecdotal issue. Maybe my trailer and Tow Vehicle are the right size for each other, or my ProPride hitch and setup is correct for what I'm doing. Even panic stops are smooth, fast, and in total control from the left seat where I sit--even in downtown Phoenix's stupid traffic. (I avoid that place like the plague--once was enough...)

If I wanted to do better, or go a bit bigger on a trailer, I'd go Tundra. GMC and Chevy products have bit me too many times, and DW won't buy anything other than Toyota, so I guess I'm stuck, "runnin what I brung" to the party, and smiling a lot as I do it...

BTW, after 61,000 original miles on the Tacoma, I finally had to replace the OEM tires, with Michelin all around. Airstream is next!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
As I said earlier I did buy a Chev 1500 and like it for either of our AS's.
That said I forgot to mention a good friend who just had the first repair on his Tundra 5.7 at 190K miles for a new starter motor.
I was wanting to buy another Tundra and my thoughts on the poor gas mileage was it's a trade off for the great reliability.
Pick your poison.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Most likely have been wrecked. Glancing at a pick-a-part lot is hardly a good way of determining overall reliability.
Lol. Plenty just rusted and fell apart. Just like all the other brands. There’s nothing majic about a Toyota.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
Not everyone feels that way. If a truck is also a daily driver, most folks don't like needing a stepladder to get in. They like to park in a normal parking space, and they enjoy a ride more car like and less dump truck like.
If a F-350 is good, then why not a F-650? After all, this is the AS forum where more is more.
Mine was in reply to a post about “cutesy” car engines in trucks. I was merely pointing out that I don’t drive little 6 cylinder trucks.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Lol. Plenty just rusted and fell apart. Just like all the other brands. There’s nothing majic about a Toyota.
“late model”? Yeah. Right.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
“late model”? Yeah. Right.
Yep, plenty of them. Not too many on the road around here anyway, and not even close in sales.

OP, get the Sierra.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:14 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
One thread after another - over and over again it happens.

Someone asks for input specific to a certain truck or trucks.....and three things always happen.

People recommend a truck that the op didn’t ask for input about.

People proceed to get into arguments about the truck or trucks the op never asked about.

The op disappears because the thread now has nothing to do with the original question.

Why on earth do so many of you get on these posts just to argue, especially when it has nothing to do with the original question asked?

Specifically to this thread - If you don’t tow with a Sierra or a Tundra why are you here commenting?
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Tundra vs 1500 GMC

Tongue weight of my 2014 FC is #1100

Maximum payload for Tundra is #2080

Maximum payload for 1500 GMC is #1700

Maximum payload for 2500 GMC is #3,000-3400

Consider how much you will carry in the back of the truck. I have a #450 truck box, lots of tools, gear, dutch ovens, bicycles, grill, etc. I switched from two Nissan Titans that I loved, but never could level the trailer (weighing down the back of the truck). I might not have chosen it, but a guy came in to trade his 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel for a new one. It was in great shape with 6,000 miles on it, so I bought it. I now have @50,000 miles, most of it towing the Airstream. More than enough truck, but I love it. It gives me great peace of mind. I just replaced brake pads. Maintenance is more expensive. It's a big truck to drive around town, but I do it. Doesn't have much clearance for off-road. Slowly, my wife is beginning to drive it some.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy59 View Post
yep, plenty of them. .
🐂💩..........😂
Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post

Consider how much you will carry in the back of the truck. I have a #450 truck box, lots of tools, gear, dutch ovens, bicycles, grill, etc. I switched from two Nissan Titans that I loved, but never could level the trailer (weighing down the back of the truck). I might not have chosen it, but a guy came in to trade his 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel for a new one. It was in great shape with 6,000 miles on it, so I bought it. I now have @50,000 miles, most of it towing the Airstream. More than enough truck, but I love it. It gives me great peace of mind. I just replaced brake pads. Maintenance is more expensive. It's a big truck to drive around town, but I do it. Doesn't have much clearance for off-road. Slowly, my wife is beginning to drive it some.
Congrats. Sometimes being in the right place/ right time can present some great deals on used vehicles. We stumbled upon our 2015 Tundra at a dealer. Was just off a 2 year lease with19K miles. ...and was equipped exactly as we wanted it.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post

When you posted those payload numbers, were they from the spec. sheet from mfg?? A caution against using those dealer/mfg. numbers without seeing the specific truck....Unless something has changed in the 2019 models, I could not find a Toyota Tundra above 1300lbs when I was looking on the lot at the new 2017 models...the Toyota guys argued with me, pointing to the spec sheets...when I challenged them to show me, we looked at 8 different nicely equipped Tundra's, and not one had a payload above 1300 lbs...surprised them also. Same with RAM 1500 models...finding a decent payload was very difficult. Also, Tundra still has the 6 speed trany...great truck for lots of people, but wouldn't work for my needs, and why are they still with that 6 speed?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote