Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member
 
gregwall's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 87
Images: 6
Tundra vs 1500 GMC

Tongue weight of my 2014 FC is #1100

Maximum payload for Tundra is #2080

Maximum payload for 1500 GMC is #1700

Maximum payload for 2500 GMC is #3,000-3400

Consider how much you will carry in the back of the truck. I have a #450 truck box, lots of tools, gear, dutch ovens, bicycles, grill, etc. I switched from two Nissan Titans that I loved, but never could level the trailer (weighing down the back of the truck). I might not have chosen it, but a guy came in to trade his 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel for a new one. It was in great shape with 6,000 miles on it, so I bought it. I now have @50,000 miles, most of it towing the Airstream. More than enough truck, but I love it. It gives me great peace of mind. I just replaced brake pads. Maintenance is more expensive. It's a big truck to drive around town, but I do it. Doesn't have much clearance for off-road. Slowly, my wife is beginning to drive it some.
__________________

__________________
Greg
2014 25' Flying Cloud FB
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy59 View Post
yep, plenty of them. .
🐂💩..........😂
__________________

KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
Tongue weight of my 2014 FC is #1100

Maximum payload for Tundra is #2080

Maximum payload for 1500 GMC is #1700

Maximum payload for 2500 GMC is #3,000-3400

Consider how much you will carry in the back of the truck. I have a #450 truck box, lots of tools, gear, dutch ovens, bicycles, grill, etc. I switched from two Nissan Titans that I loved, but never could level the trailer (weighing down the back of the truck). I might not have chosen it, but a guy came in to trade his 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel for a new one. It was in great shape with 6,000 miles on it, so I bought it. I now have @50,000 miles, most of it towing the Airstream. More than enough truck, but I love it. It gives me great peace of mind. I just replaced brake pads. Maintenance is more expensive. It's a big truck to drive around town, but I do it. Doesn't have much clearance for off-road. Slowly, my wife is beginning to drive it some.
Congrats. Sometimes being in the right place/ right time can present some great deals on used vehicles. We stumbled upon our 2015 Tundra at a dealer. Was just off a 2 year lease with19K miles. ...and was equipped exactly as we wanted it.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
Tongue weight of my 2014 FC is #1100

Maximum payload for Tundra is #2080

Maximum payload for 1500 GMC is #1700

Maximum payload for 2500 GMC is #3,000-3400

Consider how much you will carry in the back of the truck. I have a #450 truck box, lots of tools, gear, dutch ovens, bicycles, grill, etc. I switched from two Nissan Titans that I loved, but never could level the trailer (weighing down the back of the truck). I might not have chosen it, but a guy came in to trade his 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel for a new one. It was in great shape with 6,000 miles on it, so I bought it. I now have @50,000 miles, most of it towing the Airstream. More than enough truck, but I love it. It gives me great peace of mind. I just replaced brake pads. Maintenance is more expensive. It's a big truck to drive around town, but I do it. Doesn't have much clearance for off-road. Slowly, my wife is beginning to drive it some.
When you posted those payload numbers, were they from the spec. sheet from mfg?? A caution against using those dealer/mfg. numbers without seeing the specific truck....Unless something has changed in the 2019 models, I could not find a Toyota Tundra above 1300lbs when I was looking on the lot at the new 2017 models...the Toyota guys argued with me, pointing to the spec sheets...when I challenged them to show me, we looked at 8 different nicely equipped Tundra's, and not one had a payload above 1300 lbs...surprised them also. Same with RAM 1500 models...finding a decent payload was very difficult. Also, Tundra still has the 6 speed trany...great truck for lots of people, but wouldn't work for my needs, and why are they still with that 6 speed?
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
When you posted those payload numbers, were they from the spec. sheet from mfg?? A caution against using those dealer/mfg. numbers without seeing the specific truck....Unless something has changed in the 2019 models, I could not find a Toyota Tundra above 1300lbs when I was looking on the lot at the new 2017 models...the Toyota guys argued with me, pointing to the spec sheets...when I challenged them to show me, we looked at 8 different nicely equipped Tundra's, and not one had a payload above 1300 lbs...surprised them also. Same with RAM 1500 models...finding a decent payload was very difficult. Also, Tundra still has the 6 speed trany...great truck for lots of people, but wouldn't work for my needs, and why are they still with that 6 speed?
Yeah. Payload will vary with the trucks equipment. The more the truck weighs (crew cab, extended cab, 4x4 etc) the less there is left for payload.
I’ve heard comments about going by axle ratings (and tire load ratings) instead. That method seems to make sense and is a little more generous than GVWR. Need to hitch up and go to scales, though.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:07 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member
 
gregwall's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 87
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
So we have a 03 F-150 currently with 95k on it. I decided we need a new truck when the brakes went out while towing our 25ft classic. We were coming off the highway when they went out. Only thing that saved us was the brakes on the trailer. That has been the only time that I've really been shook up while pulling. Ended up the hydraulic line running to the rear had been rubbing on the frame all these years and finally broke. Lost all pressure. Peddle went all the way to the floor.

I've really been looking at the 1/2 ton 2018 sierra. I really like the looks of it. And I've towed with my dads 2015 duramax. I fell in love with the built in trailer brake control.

I stopped by the Toyota dealer tonight. The new tundra isn't bad either. And we have had good luck with our Camry.


Anyone tow with both? How does the built in trailer brake compare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
When you posted those payload numbers, were they from the spec. sheet from mfg?? A caution against using those dealer/mfg. numbers without seeing the specific truck....Unless something has changed in the 2019 models, I could not find a Toyota Tundra above 1300lbs when I was looking on the lot at the new 2017 models...the Toyota guys argued with me, pointing to the spec sheets...when I challenged them to show me, we looked at 8 different nicely equipped Tundra's, and not one had a payload above 1300 lbs...surprised them also. Same with RAM 1500 models...finding a decent payload was very difficult. Also, Tundra still has the 6 speed trany...great truck for lots of people, but wouldn't work for my needs, and why are they still with that 6 speed?
You are right. I saw it on an advertisement and should have looked closer Here is the spec sheet on the the different Toyota Tundra models. Thanks for the correction.
Googling 2019 Tundra Product information, I found this, which puts it in the exact same position I found myself with the Nissan Titan - not enough payload or tongue weight capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 6.01.42 AM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	330080  
__________________
Greg
2014 25' Flying Cloud FB
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L diesel
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
To help keep a fellow AS'er from making a terrible mistake. HA HA HoHoHoHo! P.S. Its fun.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #64
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
You are right. I saw it on an advertisement and should have looked closer Here is the spec sheet on the the different Toyota Tundra models. Thanks for the correction.
Googling 2019 Tundra Product information, I found this, which puts it in the exact same position I found myself with the Nissan Titan - not enough payload or tongue weight capacity.
You reminded me of the guy here a while back that said tundra's have 3/4 ton brakes.
__________________
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

 
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 388
I would recommend buying American built. Almost anywhere in the country, you can find a Ford or Chevy/GMC dealer, or someone that works on them. Toyota, Nissan not so much. All trucks break down sooner or later and when they do, you need to get it fixed ASAP.
__________________
2016 Flying Cloud 26u
2017 Silverado Duramax 4x4
Equalizer Hitch
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master
 
AlinCal's Avatar
 
1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,097
Payload

Door stickers

2013 Tundra double cab 4.6 very lightly optioned 1335#

2018 Silverado double cab 4x4 5.3 LTZ highly optioned 1693#
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #67
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
You are right. I saw it on an advertisement and should have looked closer Here is the spec sheet on the the different Toyota Tundra models. Thanks for the correction.
Googling 2019 Tundra Product information, I found this, which puts it in the exact same position I found myself with the Nissan Titan - not enough payload or tongue weight capacity.
Yea, and those weights don't deduct for options on those models...sunroof, TRS package, 20" wheels, running boards, etc...it's amazing how those options add up! We bought a 2012 F150 EB 4x4 shortbed, Platinum model....before reading the Forum! Loved the truck and we always carried kayaks, generator, bbq, camp gear, etc...but the payload was only 1039 lbs...pulling a 25 AS! We were always overloaded and wouldn't have known it, except for the Forum. Enter the 3/4T TV we now have...2300lb payload works for us There are plenty good 1/2T models out there also, if set up properly...not so much a few years back it seems.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I would recommend buying American built. Almost anywhere in the country, you can find a Ford or Chevy/GMC dealer, or someone that works on them. Toyota, Nissan not so much. All trucks break down sooner or later and when they do, you need to get it fixed ASAP.
FYI, Tundra is American built. Not just assembled. Design & Engineering team in the US. Engine & Transmission: yes, American built.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Door stickers

2013 Tundra double cab 4.6 very lightly optioned 1335#

2018 Silverado double cab 4x4 5.3 LTZ highly optioned 1693#
FWIW, the door sticker on my loaded 2015 Tundra Limited CrewMax 5.7 4x4 says 1300 lb load. 7200 lb GVWR. Took it to the scales while on a trip with my 23D hooked up, everything fully loaded (people, dogs, chairs, tools etc) and I was just at the truck GVWR, but under the axle ratings by a good margin. When it was time for new tires, I paid close attention to the tire load ratings. Everything works fine. Nice and stable on the road and enough power.

I have no regrets with this rig.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #70
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
FWIW, the door sticker on my loaded 2015 Tundra Limited CrewMax 5.7 4x4 says 1300 lb load. 7200 lb GVWR. Took it to the scales while on a trip with my 23D hooked up, everything fully loaded (people, dogs, chairs, tools etc) and I was just at the truck GVWR, but under the axle ratings by a good margin. When it was time for new tires, I paid close attention to the tire load ratings. Everything works fine. Nice and stable on the road and enough power.

I have no regrets with this rig.
Yea, with the 23 your likely under payload unless carrying a bunch of folks in the cab and cargo in the back, canoe or kayaks, etc.... Interesting though these nice 1/2T PU's had such a low payload rating and many of us didn't pay attention few years back...now it's one of the first things to check it seems.
__________________

__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our new 2015 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500HD time2play Tow Vehicles 91 08-07-2017 06:05 AM
Any experience with the new 2014 GMC Sierra 1500? Pat Cassity Tow Vehicles 15 01-15-2014 10:35 AM
New time streamer, long time dreamer Wilburstream Member Introductions 25 01-12-2009 08:32 PM
Sierra Nevada Unit 2005 rally schedule SierraBreeze WBCCI Rallies & Events 0 11-10-2004 12:05 AM
Can My Sierra Denali Handle a 30' Classic SO Big Dee Tow Vehicles 74 02-26-2004 01:15 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.