Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Question Thoughts/Opinions on AT Tires and Towing?

Hey everyone! If you've got a truck and you're not running highway tires, does anyone run with an AT (all terrain) tire? And what tire/brand are you running?

I'm considering strongly running General Grabber AT/II. I had a really good experience with this tire on my other adventure mobile and logged a lot of miles.

I'm not going to be doing as much offroading with the truck as my old setup:

But our plans are to actually setup our truck similar to our old rig before we switched to way larger tires and more lift. We won't be lifting the truck, the ground clearance is fine. But I want a decent tire so we can still visit the White Rim in Moab, head out to Point Sublime on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and drive up places like Mineral Pass in CO.

I've heard a lot of people tow with BFG's. Just curious. Trying to find a good compromise of on road and offroad to meet my goals. Asked on the Ram forums, wanted to ask here for folks who tow more regularly.

Thoughts? Opinions?

PS: Our Adventure Mobile today:

If only I could tow an Airstream with it. We loved this truck.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I tow with a Tundra and the BFGs that came original were not so good. They were P radials and after about 27K they were shot. I replaced them with Yokohamas, A/T-S and they have been pretty good. I have about 35K on them and there is plenty of tread left. I live in a snowy climate and these are aggressive enough for my needs.

My only complaints are these do have a bit of road hum in them but not enough to bother folks riding but just enough for me to hear. I suppose my only option will be to go with a highway tread next time. Not really sure I would do that.

I had to balance them at about 30K and I don't know if that is the tire or how I maintain them. I will continue to watch and see if I can figure this out.

I like the Yokohamas. They are very sturdy, have great tread wear and plenty of traction for snowy situations.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I've heard good things about the Yokohamas. I know a lot of folks run BFG's, but I keep seeing the same complaint over and over about them, they wear fast. So I think I'll be avoiding those.

Also have heard really good things about ToyO Open Country AT & Michelin LTX A/T 2 which steers a little more towards highway tire than A/T in it's thread design.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I know several people who run the General Grabbers and like them a lot. I used to run the Michies but that got too expensive. My local Discount Tire recommended Cooper's so I tried them and am happy. They are stiffer so they tow great.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Aside from needing to address stiffness issues you should also be aware that aggressive tread will pick up more rocks to throw at the front of your trailer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Aside from needing to address stiffness issues you should also be aware that aggressive tread will pick up more rocks to throw at the front of your trailer.

Pat
Problem solved.

AT's are generally Load Range E tires. The ones I'm looking at have a better sidewall and load range than the tires Dodge puts on the 2500's factory.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good job. Those dings hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I'm looking at putting 19.5" rims (from Rickson Wheel Manufacturing) and tires (Goodyear G-622 RSD or Firestone FD 690 Plus) on my '01 Dodge 2500. Load range G truck-rated tires (not LT - 4545lbs/@100psi), strong sidewalls, long mileage, aggressive tread. Any thoughts?