Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Dear Zybane,

I'm pulling a 2016 27 FB with a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel + Blue Ox Sway Pro; so far, that combination has worked well for me.

Impressed by their videos, I've been debating getting an Air Safe Class V.

Please see:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...le-146495.html

in which I asked for comments on whether or not getting the Air Safe was substantially worthwhile. You can read for yourself the 40+ comments posted so far. Bottom line: some yesses & some nos.

This past week, Air Safe had a 10% discount on orders, so I broke down & ordered one. What was not disclosed in the sales information is that there is a $100+ shipping & handling charge. So even with the 10% discount, the Class V Air Safe + the WD attachment was $1,130, so I canceled by order. Now, without the discount, it's around $1,250.

While I accept that some others believe the Air Safe with my rig (namely, a recent Ram 2500, with coil springs --- and I have also added Firestone Air Bags to it) might be worthwhile, at this point, I'd like to put a few more miles on the rig & make some discerning observations before plunking down over $1,000 for an Air Safe. If you proceed with getting one, I'd be interested hearing your observations with it.

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is it not possible to have AirSafe and ProPride together?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You would defeat the benefit of a Projected Pivot Point hitch by adding an AirSafe, even if possible. The Hensley/Propride design moves the effective pivot point of the trailer forward near the rear axle, taking away the leverage of the bumper located hitch ball to transfer yaw forward to the steering axle. The AirSafe would position the Hensley/ProPride (and effective pivot point) about a foot farther aft, ruining what you paid good money for.

Nor do you need the AirSafe if you study the causes rather than the Band-Aid to reduce shock transmitted through the hitch to the trailer. Heavy truck suspension rate, heavy rear differential and axle without enough shock dampening, heavy loads in the rear of the truck bed, rigid sidewall tires with higher than needed air pressure, heavy loads in the front of the Airstream, weight distribution bars without good flexibility, poorly adjusted weight distribution hitch are a few that come to mind. And then the trailer tires, too stiff sidewall (more than factory OEM), excessive air pressure for the load, and maintain good shock dampening on the trailer as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have an email from Sean saying the airsafe COULD be used with a ProPride but that didn't mean he recommended it.

To the OP - since shock control is most important to you, it sounds like the BO/AS combo is your best choice.

My #1 interest was preventing sway which is why I went w/PP.

Knowing what you want and that there isn't a single perfect choice - you should be happy with your combo. Go camping and enjoy!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You would defeat the benefit of a Projected Pivot Point hitch by adding an AirSafe, even if possible. The Hensley/Propride design moves the effective pivot point of the trailer forward near the rear axle, taking away the leverage of the bumper located hitch ball to transfer yaw forward to the steering axle. The AirSafe would position the Hensley/ProPride (and effective pivot point) about a foot farther aft, ruining what you paid good money for.

Nor do you need the AirSafe if you study the causes rather than the Band-Aid to reduce shock transmitted through the hitch to the trailer. Heavy truck suspension rate, heavy rear differential and axle without enough shock dampening, heavy loads in the rear of the truck bed, rigid sidewall tires with higher than needed air pressure, heavy loads in the front of the Airstream, weight distribution bars without good flexibility, poorly adjusted weight distribution hitch are a few that come to mind. And then the trailer tires, too stiff sidewall (more than factory OEM), excessive air pressure for the load, and maintain good shock dampening on the trailer as well.

So...
My goal should remain what it has been-
Hold out for a ProPride-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Ya, Sean at ProPride said he has no way to connect the 3P to the AirSafe.

Interestingly, I've been speaking to one of the techs at Blue Ox about connecting the SwayPro to the AirSafe. He said it is not recommended as they will "fight" against each other.

I explained to him the dozens of AirSafe users out there using WD systems with good results with the AirSafe. He says the Blue Ox Swaypro doesn't use cold rolled bars, but heat treated spring bars.

I guess I don't get why that would matter if both are providing the same forces at the same points? I'm not sure that I buy that the SwayPro and AirSafe would lead to sway. I think they would make a great combo.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thoughts on Hitches for my rig.

Zybane - Sean must have looked in to it more after we emailed. If he doesn't recommend it for his product - same for the BO guys - you should consider a plan B.

What exactly are your concerns that create the need for the AirSafe? Are you concerned about trailer damage from a stiff ride? Hitch receiver/frame damage to your truck from shock forces? What specifically is on your mind. Maybe folks here have some suggestions that might help?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Indeed, all of the above. Tons of reports I'm finding on this site in regards to popped rivets, body separation from A-frame at the front, stuff getting tossed around all inside the trailer.

It only makes sense that a rigid connection between TV and trailer is not good. I guess my point is, that if with an AirSafe + Blue Ox SwayPro combo can control sway, weight distribute and eliminate most shock, why not do it?

One other concern I have is the bottom of my Class V receiver is 21.5" from the ground. I understand that is fairly high and I will need to confirm that the AirSafe WD bracket will allow the Blue Ox ball to go low enough to keep the Airstream level.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok. Well, of BO is telling you they don't recommend the combination with AirSafe - for me - that would be reason not to do it - but everyone's mileage varies. 😃

You could look for other systems (Reese, Equal-I-Zer, Eazlift - don't know if I'm spelling those right) that might work with an AirSafe. Or, you could reconsider whether you're worried about something you don't need to. Hard to say. I can only share my experience.

I have a Chevy 2500 towing a 27FB flying cloud. I went with 1000# bars - despite Sean's recommendation to go with 1400# bars - because I was afraid of the same thing. Thinking these lighter bars would provide a smoother experience for the trailer turned out to be a mistake (trouble moving weight to front axle of truck, porpoising, etc. Not drastic, but not perfect).

The hitch wasn't installed properly by the dealer - so I ended up taking it to Colonial to have them correct the other dealer's mistakes and to install 1400# bars (correcting my mistake). Great decision and not a single rivet pop.

Keep researching. I'm one data point. There are many others here too.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
One thing I've learned over decades of being a professional is that not everyone knows what they are talking about. Not to discredit the Blue Ox rep, but he admitted not even hearing about the AirSafe before.

My point is that the way the Blue Ox does WD is the same as every other WD hitch. There are plenty of AirSafe+WD happy users out there.

With ~1100 lb tongue weight, Blue Ox did recommend 1,500 lb spring bars.

I guess there is only one thing to do, and that is try it. I've not been able to find any other AirSafe+Blue Ox users. If it doesn't work out well I could just sell those components and get a ProPride. Bit of money loss but not the end of the world.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Having put a lot of miles on our AS with a ProPride setup, I can tell you no popped rivets on some of the worst roads in Texas and Alabama. The only issue I had with stuff moving around the interior was a drawer in the rear desk had a tendency to unload from the cabinet under panic braking in Phoenix Arizona traffic. I shall not elaborate on how bad the drivers are in that city.....

A better latch would be best, but stick-on baby safe straps on the two drawers fixed the issue solidly and are easily peeled off if I get better latches some day.

2007 International CCD 22' front bedroom and a 2008 4x2 Toyota Tacoma crew cab long bed pickup with a cab-high shell. 1000 pound bars per Sean's recommendation

Yeah, it's a light truck---gotta run what I brung. Now we have a 2012 4x4 Crew Cab Taco. Yeah, I don't want or think I need a 3/4 ton truck. As my wife says, "no money, honey". But it works for us, and the setup handles well for what we do. I'm a patient sort climbing hills.....but it easily exceeds the tire speed limit on the flats, and stops nice and straight.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
I can't speak to the Pro-Pride or Blue Ox, because I have never owned/used either. I can address both the Airsafe (anti-shock) and the WD/anti-sway issue, as I did in the thread referenced by Rgentum...

I can only tell you my equipment and the experience I've had with it. We bought a 2014 27FB Classic new in 2014, and towed it with my 2001 Dodge 2500 Reg Cab 8' bed 4x4 with Cummins and 5 spd manual transmission. The AS dealer (Colonial) installed an Equilizer WD hitch. Result? Plenty of power, no sway whatsoever, and a good feeling of truck control over the TT; but the truck was my old farm truck, heavily sprung (even with AirLift bags in the rear), and rode like a deuce-and-a-half. Also, after every bad stretch of Interstate we would pull into a rest area and find pillows on the floor and multiple drawers and cabinets banged open in the Airstream. This was the status on both 3,000 mile round trips we took that year.

Mainly because of my wife's dislike of the harsh-riding truck, and in recognition of the fact that our pickup's main purpose in life was towing the Airstream and no longer hauling farm equipment off-road, we purchased a 2015 Ram 3500 Quad-Cab, 4x4, 8' box and Cummins with 6 spd manual. Although we had to order it to get our desired configuration (especially the manual tranny), the 2500s and 3500s we test drove all rode 100% smoother than my old Dodge. But, because of the obvious amount of shocks and bumps being transferred from the old truck to the AS, as witnessed by the drawers and pillows knocked around, I decided to get a class VI AirSafe - based on the 1200# TW and 9,000lb GTW of the Classic. A little overkill, but I tend to do that. It cost me around $1100 for the hitch and another $99 for the WD adapter; but since I now have over $80,000 worth of TT and $60,000 worth of TV, I figured $1200 to protect my investment was well spent - I didn't want to start popping rivets!

We did the exact same two 3,000 mile RT cross-country trips in 2015 as we did in 2014, with the combination AirSoft/Equalizer hitches; but this time not a drawer was opened nor a pillow out of place. And the truck drove and rode like a Caddy without even knowing it had a TT behind it. CAT scales gave me a 17,000 GCVW on each trip.

So, I can compare and contrast 2014 and 2015 and state unequivocally that the latter was a much better ride and trip than the former. But, since there are two big variables: new truck, AirSafe hitch, I cannot say with certainty which had the bigger influence on the improvement.

What I can and will say is that the AirSafe does *exactly* what its maker says it does. I could see the AS rise and fall independently of the pickup on rough stretches of road in the side mirrors; and when we hit a bump in the road, that was not passed back to the TT when the truck axles hit the bump, and was not passed forward to the TV when the TT axles hit it. So, smoother ride for both TT and TV, and a lot less wear and tear on some pretty expensive equipment.

Based on my experience, I would recommend the AirSafe for your combination. Safe travels and have some great Streaming!

Tim
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There's an older related thread here too:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-36522.html
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Nice. Ya, I've read about every AirSafe post on the forum lol.

I was just thinking about how painful it would be putting on and removing 100+ lbs of AirSafe+WD head weight. Then I realized, what if I just left the whole she-bang connected to the Airstream ball? Let the ball coupler retainer hold the weight of the setup. Remove the hitch pin and just pull the truck away, leaving the AirSafe and WD hitch connected to the coupler. Then just back up and "Stinger" the AirSafe shank into the receiver. Would take some finesse but may be easier than removing the AirSafe and WD setup from the coupler every time.

Anyone see a flaw in this idea? lol