Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
This is a towing question

I have a 1976 31' sovereign that needs a new frame built. the frame is intact but does infact need a new one built. I will be towing it about 6 hours up I-95. New tires and repacked bearings. no trailer breaks but the trailer is gutted. I bought new axles that i can either toss in the back of my 2015 RAM 1500 or strap down slightly in front of the axles inside for better weight distribution. also, I don't have a weight distribution and sway bar hitch. Come to find out, when you remove the electrical inverter, the tail lights and electric breaking system no longer work as well.
My questions are:

1) Do I need the sway bars and weight hitch for a gutted rig?

2) How does everyone feel about an experienced driver, with many years towing trailers, towing a gutted airstream (structurally)? it has the interior skins waist up still attached.
Andy Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
No brakes ? bad idea
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
towing

No brakes not the best scenario but being gutted you should not have any problems. Make sure to leave a little extra space between you and the car in frt. Drive very defensively. I tow for a living and just recently I brought a 38 ft. spartan that had been restored out of central fla to up around Greensborough NC. NO BRAKES and had no problems. Go to harbor freight and buy a set of the temporary taillights and attache them to the rear bumper that way you don't have any issues with taillights and brake lights.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
towing.

The trailer will be light enough you will never know its back there even without weight bars. I would put the axles inside the trailer and strap them down directly over top of the trailers axles that way the trailer is carry the weight and wont load the trailer tongue heavy. That is the reason most people have issues with sway when pulling. To much tongue weight.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think your issues are mostly legal. You need lights, brakes, and a break away braking system to run it on the highway. Why are there no trailer brakes? I would fix that and install a battery for the break away system. The harbor freight running lights are a good idea. No real reason to take the chance and do what you want to do that I can see.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
When we purchased our used 1991 25 ft excella it only had working brakes on one axle that did basically nothing, my 2015 Ram 1500 stopped it wonderfully. Being a 31 ft you might get a little sway, not a huge issue for one tow. But I would definitely do something to make all lights work.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Sway increases with speed. Go slow.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
sway.

Sway does not always increase with speed. I have had small overloaded trailers sway at very slow speeds and smooth out at a little faster speed. I am not advocating for you to speed up and try that. Sway is associated with improper weight distribution in the trailer. An empty airstream with no load will not sway unless you have a mechanical issue that causes it. Popssible causes for sway would be tires mismatched, improper loaded trailer, weak spring on one side, warped or broken frame. misalignment of axels. well you get the point. Drive defensively, and have a safe trip.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If it's illegal to drive it without trailer brakes or the emergency brake away, why is this even a question?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Depends on the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
If it's illegal to drive it without trailer brakes or the emergency brake away, why is this even a question?

Mike
Most states require trailer brakes only if the gross weight exceeds a certain threshold (4500 lbs in Texas).
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Fulltiming , via Jersey Shore and Philadelphia, PA
Brake and break-away switch requirements vary by state. Most states specify trailer brakes are mandatory for trailers weighing 3,000# gross and over. Some states are lower and require the trailer weighs less than 40% of the TV weight when hooked up.
hoagies_OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Practically it sounds like you would not have a problem. I always thought the worst scenario that generated sway was improper weight distribution mainly attributed to weight either behind the rear axle or too high. I would try to get your tongue weight to be the same as normal 10% +/- of the entire trailer weight.

I will not pretend to know the rules for various states. Here in British Columbia you can have a trailer up to 3000 lbs without any trailer brakes. As my boat and trailer came factory new from California with no brakes I would assume but not confirm that Cali is the same. Look below at what I pasted in with a Ram 1500 you may not be able to meet the 40% component. Your truck is likely in the 5000 lbs range meaning your trailer could only be 2000lbs, seems awful light. If you could get a larger truck you'd be in business. My GMC 2500HD is almost 7000 lbs curb weight when full of fuel.

It sounds like you need to verify the legal requirements but if you had the trailer balanced correctly and you met the legal requirements I would do it.

Quick excerpts from the internet:

Florida Trailer Laws & Trailer Regulations

Florida's laws and regulations for trailers are listed below:

Florida Trailer Brake Laws
Every such vehicle and combination of vehicles shall be equipped with service brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle under all conditions of loading, and on any grade incident to its operation.
Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except trailers, semi trailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 lbs., provided that the total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and the combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of the law.

Pole trailers with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 lbs. manufactured prior to January 1, 1972, need not be equipped with brakes.
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Most states require trailer brakes only if the gross weight exceeds a certain threshold (4500 lbs in Texas).
2 axles is also an automatic requirement for trailer brakes in Texas.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahya View Post
Sway does not always increase with speed. I have had small overloaded trailers sway at very slow speeds and smooth out at a little faster speed.
Perhaps towing small overloaded trailers with mismatched tires and warped springs is not the best way to learn typical characteristics of pulling an RV trailer.

Contrary to your claim, speed is definitely a major factor in sway.

Further, overloading a hitch is far safer than underloading it when trying to avoid sway.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Towing without trailer brakes on a trailer that should have brakes is a big danger. Chances are that things will be fine, but.... I was towing my 18' boat a few weeks ago and almost missed my turn. This boat weighs about 1800# and I couldn't believe how long it took to stop and make my turn. So much for the 3/4 ton towing and stopping in an emergency. If I had hit something, the lack of brakes would not have been an issue "legally" because of the size of the trailer. An Airstream would be an entirely different issue.

If you decide to take the risk, be prepared to suffer the consequences. That is your decision.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would take secondary roads as much as possible.

If you tow a trailer without brakes, WD hitch, or sway control on an Interstate will you be OK? probably. Are you increasing the risk of loss of control?, definitely.

If you pull a gutted trailer slower than interstate speed it will be more subject to getting blown around by the bow wave of passing semis.

The factory wiring of a 76 has 3 separate electrical systems: 120 AC, 12v DC interior lights and 12v DC running lights and brakes. The running lights, tail and brake lights and brakes are powered by the tow vehicle, not the trailer battery or converter. However, the umbilical wiring of a 76 will not match up with a modern umbilical plug with out modification. This is where a set of towing lights might help.

Speed is a factor with sway. But not exactly. Sway can get into reciprocating pattern that increases. It is possible to have greater sway at say 40 mph than 75. Factors include wheels and running gear, road conditions, wind and tow vehicle. But things happen a lot faster at 75 than 40 and in any event slow down. You might want to consider a good strategy to deal with the DEATH WALLOW is foot off the accelerator, no hard braking, and TRAILER BRAKES FIRST.

BTW I have a 631 page 1975 page service manual I could give you a good deal on.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I had a grooved road set up swaying in my 31' before. Hate grooved roads.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, sometimes we does what we needs to do!
I bought my Airstream in Dover, FL at Bates RV, nearly three hours from my home and it got dark before I got home. The brake controller was not working- had not been activated, the trailer cord was smashed so I had no lights and no brakes and the hitch was WD but not anti-sway. I made it home carefully even in the dark. If you are coming from south FL on I-95 you can probably stay over and drive easy. What you would have to watch are those quick stops.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you everyone for your reply. I have ordered the anti-sway and weight distribution hitch. I will position the axles mainly over the original axles but slightly forward. I did purchase temporary break light which I will mount to the rear bumper. The tires are brand new and properly inflated. The wheel bearings have been inspected and re-packed. Due to it being gutted, I am not worried about the brake system on the trailer. Thank you all again.
Andy Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moreau View Post
I have a 1976 31' sovereign that needs a new frame built. the frame is intact but does infact need a new one built. I will be towing it about 6 hours up I-95. New tires and repacked bearings. no trailer breaks but the trailer is gutted. I bought new axles that i can either toss in the back of my 2015 RAM 1500 or strap down slightly in front of the axles inside for better weight distribution. also, I don't have a weight distribution and sway bar hitch. Come to find out, when you remove the electrical inverter, the tail lights and electric breaking system no longer work as well.
My questions are:

1) Do I need the sway bars and weight hitch for a gutted rig?

2) How does everyone feel about an experienced driver, with many years towing trailers, towing a gutted airstream (structurally)? it has the interior skins waist up still attached.
How do you feel about it? Have you towed anything without brakes before? I'll admit that I have, many years ago. Stay out of traffic, take it slow. 6 hours without touching the brakes? Done that...

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote