Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Thinking about getting a 2018 Expedition as our Tow Vehicle.

We will be ordering a 25' International Signature soon. And, we are looking for the best TV that will also be only source of daily transport.

Thanks to a timely reply post recommendation from Doug and Cheryl (aka dkottum) we are very interested in the new Ford 2018 Expedition Platinum Max to tow it, and to be our everyday ride.

At first, we hesitated about the Expedition because the current model does not have all the Tow Friendly Tech that comes with our initial choice of a F-150 Lariat. However, the redesigned ‘from the ground up’ Expedition now has every F-150 towing bell & whistle, and then some. The only things you can’t get are the telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors. We are sure that the after-market already has a assortment of Trailer Tow Mirrors in hand for us to buy.

And, there is even more good stuff.

The new Expedition Platinum Max will have a beefed-up 400 hp at 5,000 rpm and 480 lb-ft at 3,250 rpm, 3.5L turbocharge EcoBoost® V6 engine with a 10-speed automatic, and a newly designed independent rear suspension. It comes fully loaded with only the need for the optional Class IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package to allow a 15,300 GCWR when equipped with a proper weight-distributing hitch. The Airstream Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) is 835 pounds and is close to, and, slightly below the Expedition's recommended 910.

Ford says the 2018 Expedition Platinum Max can tow up to 9,300 pounds of trailer. The Airstream Signature 25' has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 7,300 pounds which gives us at least a 20% Safety Margin.

Due the use of aluminum instead of steel for the body sheet metal, the 2018 will be lighter than the previous model's 5,841 curb weight. This should allow plenty of reserve payload to carry our stuff.

We want to sincerely thank Doug and Cheryl for their thoughtful suggestion of the Expedition. Hopefully, this new TV will keep our eyeballs from rattling out of our heads.

Sue & Dan

DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Careful who you take advice from around here.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I like the Expedition, had two of them, earlier models. Towed with the early 5.4, which had a lot less power than the new models.

Recommend, though, that you confirm payload of the specific model you look at. The Max weighs more than the standard, so may have a reduced payload. Also, the Platinum has a lot of options, which typically eat into payload as well. Finally, increased use of aluminum doesn't guarantee more payload for the new model. It is more an opportunity to reduce both vehicle weight and GVWR, and improve fuel economy.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I tow with a 2013 Expedition EL 4x4 with the 5.4V8 and the HD tow package. We tow a 2015 25ft Flying Cloud rear bed, we use a pro-pride hitch.

I have been very happy with it. I am tempted by the 2018 as an upgrade next year.

I swear the tongue weight on our trailer is way above the book value, but I have never measured it.. Other report 900lb+ on the 25 rear bed.

So, the bad news. We have a payload capacity of just under 1400lb. We are at the rear axle limit +- 50lb. 2 of us and a big dog, maybe some other small bits..

My personal recommendation would be to do your calculations on payload and rear axle loads. I know this info is not out for the 2018 expedition yet but start your homework..

I hope this helps, I think the 2018 expedition is looking great on what we know so far!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
This will fit into Michael's category of "be careful" type of advice.

We've been towing with a 2012 Expedition since 2012. I haven't looked at the new ones yet. We want you to know we experienced some sway and spent the first 60,000 miles trying everything short of the expensive sway controller hitches (the subject of many positive threads here). We finally figured out that Ford put a very small diameter rear sway control bar in the Expeditions (we think to make them ride more like a car.) When we changed from the original sway bar to a 22mm Helwig, all the sway issues were gone. So my advice (which aligns with jcl's "confirm payload" advice) is to crawl under the new Expedition at your dealership and look at the rear sway bar. If it's as big around as your little finger and not almost an inch in diameter, plan to replace it. It's not a big deal, a couple of hundred dollars US and a couple of hours work. We just didn't want you to spend 60,000 miles figuring it out. We now passing 112,000 miles and the difference was amazing.

By the way, I'm going to crawl under a new one first chance I get, because I'm curious.

Good luck,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Wow, you sound like a Ford ad for an Expedition! Anyway - I seriously shopped Expeditions but ultimately went with an F-150 Lariat because of the price difference between the two. The Expedition's price point starts much higher and adding everything to it takes it into the 65+K range. Add in that the F-150 is built to tow, that its MPG is much better than Expedition, and that it's so solid and comfortable to drive - well, I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out. I pick it up tomorrow.:-)
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Nice Looking SUV

That is a nice looking SUV and so is the new Lincoln Navigator. If had not already bought my Tahoe I would buy it when it comes out.
hapsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Don't believe everything you read, you should try out several different units, I myself do not like going down the road at 4000 rpm but that is me...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
Don't forget to check the brakes for stopping power. I don't know specifically about the Expedition, but brakes in passenger cars can be under-sized and they don't necessarily beef them up in a tow package (I had a very bad experience towing with a Suburban)...
JohnCaliAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Two comments:

Where did you find the specs for tow rating, etc? I have looked at the official Ford web site for the 2018 Expedition without finding them.

Second, I have a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud. I have seen quite a few people on this forum mention their actual tongue weight on the 25FBs. The number is always higher than the factory number, and sometimes over 1000 pounds. I have measured mine as high as 990, and I think it is probably more sometimes.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Don't believe everything you read, you should try out several different units, I myself do not like going down the road at 4000 rpm but that is me...
With peak torque at or around 2500 rpm, why would one run down the road at 4000 rpm?

If you are thinking of durability, consider piston speed over just looking at rpm. Mean piston speed has long been used as a tool to evaluate engine durability.

At peak torque for each engine, the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 has virtually the same mean piston speed as the Cummins 6.7 diesel.

If you are thinking of engine noise going down the road, check out those specs.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCaliAS View Post
Don't forget to check the brakes for stopping power. I don't know specifically about the Expedition, but brakes in passenger cars can be under-sized and they don't necessarily beef them up in a tow package (I had a very bad experience towing with a Suburban)...
I don't know the specs on the 2018 model, but the current Expedition (which is not a passenger car, but rather built on the F series platform) is reported to stop in shorter distances than the F150.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Wilmington , North Carolina
We are on a 90 day cross country trip from Wilmington NC to Portland OR. We pull our Pendleton with a 2017 Expedition Platinum that has been doing great! I've looked at the 2018 and it looks even better. I think the new Expedition will pull a 25' just fine. We had a 2015 F150 but it was too long to fit in our garage.
Cooktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've owned several Expeditions over the years and they have been great vehicles. The "big deal" with *any* SUV is going to be weight. You have a lot more on the rear axle with all the SUV "stuff" than with a pickup bed. People often like SUV's because you can toss a bunch of "stuff" into them. We certainly did. That adds more weight.

I am not comfortable with the idea of running over the ratings on the vehicle. If you modify the vehicle, that's a whole different can of worms (and not what I'm talking about here). Having the axles or receivers running beyond their ratings is not my idea of fun. I also don't like going over the CAT scales each trip out (and then repacking ...). If it's my TV, I'd rather have some margin so I can (with some care) pack and go.

If you are doing all of this on paper, be very careful about the "web" numbers on this or that vehicle. They tend to be optimistic when compared to the weights of real "as delivered" vehicles. The departure from "web" gets worse as you add packages .....

None of this is saying don't do it. It's just saying, be careful. Be realistic about what you will (or will not) have in the SUV and in the trailer. Check things "as delivered" and be willing (... able..) to adjust if needed.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote