Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
With peak torque at or around 2500 rpm, why would one run down the road at 4000 rpm?

If you are thinking of durability, consider piston speed over just looking at rpm. Mean piston speed has long been used as a tool to evaluate engine durability.

At peak torque for each engine, the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 has virtually the same mean piston speed as the Cummins 6.7 diesel.

If you are thinking of engine noise going down the road, check out those specs.
If you're going down the road at 4000 rpm you're doing it wrong. My gasser runs 1500 to 2100 rpm most of the time.

OP: get the truck. I've traded every SUV I've owned within months.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If you're going down the road at 4000 rpm you're doing it wrong. My gasser runs 1500 to 2100 rpm most of the time.

OP: get the truck. I've traded every SUV I've owned within months.
Hi

I agree with the < 2K RPM number. The only time I see 4K is accelerating (like up a hill) or engine braking (yes I know ... there are issues doing that....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #23
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I almost went with the Expedition Platinum, but opted for the Yukon Denali instead. It's been great, but I've only heard good things about the Expedition as well.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The concern over engine RPM while towing with a gas motor is just plain silly. Why?
Because the only problem is in one's head. Seriously. Running all day within the motors operating range will not harm it or decrease its life one bit.

I will never own a diesel for various reason (major current reason is the fuel smell makes my wife sick) and thus have decades of experience towing with gas engines. From 4 bangers Sedans, V6 SUV's, to large V8's. All good experiences.

I currently tow the same weight TT as mentioned here, maxing out my 2010 Toyota Sequoia with 160k miles now and it's solid as a rock with only one thing ever failing, the AC blower. That's it.

I do use a Hensley hitch, and would never tow another travel trailer without it unless I had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Add LT tires to the list of requirements as well...

My most recent trip was Wi to Ca towing our TT with Toyota's 5.7L and beside MPG being the same or 0-2 MPG lower than those who just towed in the same conditions at the same campground (even diesels), it did EXTREMELY well. We did Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley (west to east), thru the Rocky Mountain NP on US34 to Estes Park....7 NP's in all...and I never asked for more power, not once.

The 2018 Expedition will tow better than my Sequoia, no doubt about it. And our next SUV will be the new Ford or the new Sequoia, planned for 2 years out.

Good luck OP, the Ford Expedition will treat you very well.
RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Great choice in tow vehicle. Sounds like a great match and should be plenty capable for the a 25. I'm shocked at the amount of people who don't believe this setup can be made to work, and work well.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Omro , Wisconsin
How about a serenity 28' with the expedition? We will be using a hensley arrow hitch and do not like pick-ups! Don
forssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by forssd View Post
How about a serenity 28' with the expedition? We will be using a hensley arrow hitch and do not like pick-ups! Don
Hi

28' data:

5,979 empty
7,600 max loaded
1,621 max cargo + water in trailer
899 on the tongue

2018 Expedition:

9,300 max tow
likely 1,000 on the hitch, could be more

So at least by the basic numbers, yes. There's a bit of margin, so tossing in a hitch or a case of beer will not push you over numbers wise. With any SUV, check the axles / payload rating. You may or may not be able to put quite as much extra stuff in the TV as you might think.

Bob
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

28' data:

5,979 empty
7,600 max loaded
1,621 max cargo + water in trailer
899 on the tongue

2018 Expedition:

9,300 max tow
likely 1,000 on the hitch, could be more

So at least by the basic numbers, yes. There's a bit of margin, so tossing in a hitch or a case of beer will not push you over numbers wise. With any SUV, check the axles / payload rating. You may or may not be able to put quite as much extra stuff in the TV as you might think.

Bob
As long as the beer is between the axles he will be good. 😇

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I remembered seeing this post earlier.

This is an email from a family from New England that we did some hitch work for in August. Just thought it might help. The 2018's have not released yet in Canada so I can't answer that part of the question but I expect it to be excellent.

Andy

Hi, Andy,

I hope the end of your summer and fall have gone well and that you got some time away!

We came to see you in August, at the beginning of a three-month trip, for a new hitch for our Expedition/Flying Cloud 30 bunk. We've towed about 7,000 miles since then and have been very happy with our set-up! (Still about 1000 miles to go to get home.) It's been smooth sailing in all sorts of terrain, from those awful concrete highways to the Rocky Mountains, to the (crazy!) California Coast Road.

We wondered if we should ever have to go up on the chains again? We went up in increments, to one full link fairly early on. Lately, it seems to me that the trailer might not be sitting quite as level and the back of the vehicle might look a bit lower. Do you think any more adjustments might be in order? Or is that one link all we should need? I can send a photo if that would be useful.

We also wondered if you'd had a chance to see/tow with the new 2018 Expedition? We have been so pleased with this tow vehicle. We've never had a bit of trouble on steep grades/curves, etc. We fly by large pickups towing smaller rigs going uphill. (Side note: the brake controller just recently failed and we had to have it replaced in Topeka. Seems to be a common problem with the 2015/2016 models. But we've had no other trouble.) If the new version of this vehicle is even better, we'd definitely want to upgrade to that one in the future, so are anxious for your opinion!

Thanks, Andy! Have a great winter,

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #30
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
As others have pointed out, the tow capacity for the Expedition (even the older models, which had a higher tow capacity) doesn't meet the 25 fully loaded. When I got into my 16 I asked my mechanic and my Dad (mechanical engineer degree who has worked in commercial transportation, not RVs, still, reasonably good qualifications) about the 25 (I thought if I had made a huge mistake with the 16 I might be able to use the 25 lightly loaded and not have to also immediately change the tow vehicle).

Both of them said no. Actually, both of them said "Don't you dare."

It has, however, been great with the 16.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfloaf View Post
As others have pointed out, the tow capacity for the Expedition (even the older models, which had a higher tow capacity) doesn't meet the 25 fully loaded.

How so? My math must be wrong...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Thinking about getting a 2018 Expedition as our Tow Vehicle.

Generally I don’t find tow ratings have much of a relationship to towing performance and safety. However the Expedition is 9300 pounds so pretty much any Airstream is within that. It is a better tow vehicle than many others with higher ratings and not as good as others with lower.

It always amazes me how many feel they can offer an iron clad opinion on the performance of a combination they have never tested.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We just spent some time poking around in a couple of Expeditions. They are *not* what you might remember from back in the 1990's. With the 3.5 in them, they seem to have plenty of get up and go. There also is no issue with capacity numbers wise. I don't have my 30' Classic up above 9,000 lb when I'm towing. Anything other than a Classic would be way over the ratings on the trailer at 9,300 lb.

The only minor thing I would ding - you don't seem to get the really neat power extending tow mirrors on the Expedition. The Ford trucks all have them as an option. Apparently they wold make the SUV "look to much like a truck" ..... go figure If *only* people sold aftermarket mirrors Fiddling mirrors (especially with the strap on variety) is *not* what I would call a major modification to a vehicle.

Cost wise, you aren't saving much (if any) going with the Expedition. It's not as good for dumping a scoop full of manure in the back. It *is* a bit better for a few other things. Not dumping the F-250 to get one. The Expedition certainly does some things that the CR-V isn't quite up to (and no, don't talk to me about mods to the CR-V that will let it tow 30,000 lb ... )

Bob
Old 10-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since the math keeps coming up, the Expedition is rated for 9,300 LB. That is straight off the Ford data when you have the "max tow" package. That package is or isn't standard on this or that model in this or that year. If it's not standard, it's an option you can add. Without that option, the tow rating is (surprise!) a bit less at 6,600 LB. If you have the max tow version, numbers aren't an issue for anything below a Classic. Even then it's debatable. If you have the "not set up to tow" version, then you get into numbers issues a bit further down in the lineup. Since max tow is just a few bolt on items, there is no particular reason you can't bolt those Ford stock items on and be happy with the "lower spec" SUV.

Bob
Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
It would be interesting to know what the max tow package is comprised of? Or whether there's anything options left off to increase payload as some pickups do.

Importantly from a liability standpoint, what the sticker on the jamb says may matter to some [agencies] even if one were to retrofit the goods.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well.... ummm ..... errr .... If you really want to see what's in the max tow package, hang around at whatever outfit the local dealers use for hitches. Sit there waiting for your truck to get it's add on's. It's boring, so listen in on the phone conversations. (Yes, it's impolite .... do it anyway ) .

First question: What needs to go on this one?

Second question: Are aftermarket parts ok?

Third question: If it has to be factory parts, why the ##### didn't you send them over?

I'm sure that when the tow package links up with some weird camera upgrade, it's not quite so simple. That part likely does not impact any ratings though. One also might wonder at the skills of the dealer service department if they are sending out brand new vehicles for work .....

Bob
Old 10-31-2017, 04:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
The Towing package consists of

- Heavy-duty radiator
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist™
• 3.73 electronic limited-slip differential
• Integrated trailer brake controller

So the option is worth getting for only $1,400.00 here in Canada.

Probably the most important option to add though is the 20" rims and you have to get a $6,000 package of trinkets and bobbles to get those. The alternative is to get the 18" rims and change the tires to 18's that are good for towing, a narrower lower performance tire.

If you get a few packages on it you are almost the same price as a BMW X5 Diesel. The X5 is not as large but if you don't need the space it is the better tow vehicle.

Andy

Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Has anybody actually LOOKED at the door jamb sticker on a 2018 Expedition to see what the real payload capacity is? On the presumably more heavily laden Platinum trim that gets the more torque? Oddly, I can't find it anywhere on line. It's got to be less than the F-150, which to my mind is primarily limited by payload already.
Dan P G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I'd also like to know the actual payload (and tongue weight) rating.

Ford's web site for the 2018 Expedition shows the payload for each trim level if you follow the links for "Build". But it lists the same value for all trim levels, which of course is bogus. They are showing 1840 for the standard length model, and 1900 for the MAX.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #40
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
If you get a few packages on it you are almost the same price as a BMW X5 Diesel. The X5 is not as large but if you don't need the space it is the better tow vehicle.

Andy
Shhh. It’s a secret. Though some of us would skip the diesel option.

And it is an Expedition thread. 🙂
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote