Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
<SNIP>I place expandable stabilizers between the wheels to limit trailer movement from walking. Also, figure it's another step for a thief to undo inorder to pull.<SNIP>

Tom
Hate to say it but the expandable stabilizers won't even slow them down. Once they hook up to the ball the crook would just pull forward and the tire clamps will rotate out. Yes, this may damage a tire but they won't care. Locking them only keeps the honest people from taking them and/or playing with them.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Thanks, Mark, yukionna, Keith, jimmickle, Michelle and others to follow...
Looking for more postings on this cold night even here in San Diego!

Thanks, Michelle, for your recommendation of Master Lock…
I am leaning towards Master Lock Adjustable or Universal Coupler Lock.
Especially one that comes in Keyed Alike Trailer Lock Kit:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200172124_200172124

Would like to hear from others who have Master Lock Coupler Locks.
Glad your choice helped you when you had your accident last fall.
Rich Luhr posted your link to it in today’s Tour of America blog*:
http://michelles-adventures.us/Truck%20Trailer%20Accident.html

*Tour of America

Glad you had a speedy recovery, and as a fellow PSD driver…
I’m sure you are enjoying your new F-250!

Happy Trails,
Bill
SilverGate
I bought the Masterlock three pack. I would not recommend it. First off the ball latch lock is not as pictured, the main ball lock while heavy as pictured is cast, and looks like it would be easy to defeat with a 3 lb hammer. If you do decied to purchase be careful to get the right size, both Northern and Amazon only sell the 2" as near as I can tell. I was not careful and missed the fact that that there are different sizes available. My fault. However when I contacted Master Lock customer service to attempt to make an exchange I got the party line, "we don't sell direct to the comsumer" I emailed them back attempting to clairfy the request for exchange not purchase, will see what happens now.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Coupler Lock

Hi, I finally got my Guardian G-37 coupler lock for 2 5/16" rolled lip coupler. I like the way the lock looks and works, except for extra large "Made in China" cast into the housing. Also I didn't like the fact that it was very loose fitting, considering that it was supposed to be for my coupler. To remedy this, I cut a horse shoe shape of rubber from a truck tire side wall and glued it in place; Now it has a nice tight fit and won't rub the paint off of my coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0694 (Large).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	53749   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0695 (Large).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	53750  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I like the look of that Guardian. I tried one of the Reese ones that had a ball on it which of course didn't fit the Airstream but would work on Sam's drift boat. However the ball on it means you have another greasy part to carry around.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #105
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I bought something that looked like that but would not go on my tongue. I was not going to modify the tongue and make it weaker to allow the lock to fit.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
I bought the Masterlock three pack. I would not recommend it. First off the ball latch lock is not as pictured, the main ball lock while heavy as pictured is cast, and looks like it would be easy to defeat with a 3 lb hammer. If you do decied to purchase be careful to get the right size, both Northern and Amazon only sell the 2" as near as I can tell. I was not careful and missed the fact that that there are different sizes available. My fault. However when I contacted Master Lock customer service to attempt to make an exchange I got the party line, "we don't sell direct to the comsumer" I emailed them back attempting to clairfy the request for exchange not purchase, will see what happens now.
I got rather ugly with their customer service and Master lock agreed to make the exchange "one time exception". I am not pretty even when smiling and eaisily frighten civilized folks when I frown. I have packaged the old one and will Post this AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
The one problem I see with simply disabling your electric jack by removing the fuse is, with my jack, at least, it has a manual crank arm that comes with it in case the jack dies ... I keep it in my tool bag just in case. I don't know how universal these are (in other words, would a thief have to carry several brands to ensure he has the right fit?), but it's something to consider ...

I'm heading out on a trip this weekend, so I think I'll run by Northern and see if they have the MasterLock three-piece kit in stock. (I have a 2" coupler on my vintage unit, so it should work as advertised.)
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix491
I'm heading out on a trip this weekend, so I think I'll run by Northern and see if they have the MasterLock three-piece kit in stock. (I have a 2" coupler on my vintage unit, so it should work as advertised.)
Hi, phoenix491. If you go back to page 3 / post #31 you can read what experience I had with the Master Lock receiver lock with adapter sleeve. I do not recommend it. Buy a receiver lock with a solid shaft.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix491
The one problem I see with simply disabling your electric jack by removing the fuse is, with my jack, at least, it has a manual crank arm that comes with it in case the jack dies ... I keep it in my tool bag just in case. I don't know how universal these are (in other words, would a thief have to carry several brands to ensure he has the right fit?), but it's something to consider ...

This is a good idea to stop the amatuers or rookies but you will not stop the pros who want your trailor. They will cut your jack stand off in about 3 or 4 seconds and already have it hooked up and ready to go before they start making noise with a saw. Anyway it's a good idea to disable the jack to stop the crack heads.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #110
Rivet Master

Masterlock came through

Update. Masterlock customer service has two very different groups. Intially I contacted customer service via email, and got the customer dis-service department. Their responce was not good and they sent the wrong return item. I sent in the three pack keyed alike and they returned a single coupler lock.

I decided to give Masterlock one more try before tossing the lock in the trash and writing them off. This time I called customer service on the 800 line. Got much better responce and they sent a three pack lock set that will fit the Minuet. "All is well that ends well." Just wish I had called in the first place. Thanks go out to Mike, Kyle and Billie, all working for Masterlock in their customer service department and all great examples of how to work to salvage a bad situation.

BTW, I contacted the department manager for Mike and Kyle to let her know what a great job Mike and Kyle were doing.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #111
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I have been trying to makes heads or tails out of this very lengthy thread but still am not sure; does anyone make a keyed alike set, similar to the Masterlock (which apparently does not work over the lip of the receiver)?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
a good storage lot, chains through the wheels, toungue locks, gps locators and some other creative? (fuse pulling?) ways to deter theft are great to keep the non pros away. NOTHING will stop a pro filling an order for a unit like yours. They have floor jacks, acytelene torches, grinders and such. crack heads will break in and steal easily sold items. Pros will get your rig! Try to find a storage facility with managers living on site, who actually care about their job. if you are worried about theft in a campground or a truckstop these token theft deterrents are just fine.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
the master lock is junk,had one on my boat trailer,lost keys,used 18 volt drill 5/16 bit,I think it may have had 1 pin,very little drilling,and it came right off.
I don`t know how to bring up someone else`s quote,but it #6 by SC Streamer
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
If its any easier or more convenient U Haul Handles lock sets for the Coupler and the latch that are keyed alike for the 2 5/16 couplers. There also is a devise the looks like the Sissior-Jack U jack up a car with only its two-sided and goes between the tires and is lockable and also stops forward and rearward rocking better than stabilizers ,or so Im told.
But if theives really really want your trailer the equipment is available to steal it with.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Update / trailer locks

Hi, we can now take all those locking devices off of our trailers; At the price of fuel, the theives can no longer afford to tow them away.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #116
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride
the master lock is junk,had one on my boat trailer,lost keys,used 18 volt drill 5/16 bit,I think it may have had 1 pin,very little drilling,and it came right off.
Quote:
a good storage lot, chains through the wheels, toungue locks, gps locators and some other creative? (fuse pulling?) ways to deter theft are great to keep the non pros away. NOTHING will stop a pro filling an order for a unit like yours. They have floor jacks, acytelene torches, grinders and such. crack heads will break in and steal easily sold items. Pros will get your rig! Try to find a storage facility with managers living on site, who actually care about their job. if you are worried about theft in a campground or a truckstop these token theft deterrents are just fine.
I am more concerned about leaving the AS in remote campgrounds when we head out backpacking. We leave the camper as basecamp and head out for a few days at a time. Nice to come back to a cold brew and hot shower...
When the AS is home in the backyard-no concerns-well within range...

Sounds like the keyed alike masterlock sets are not worth it?
Any others?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Trailer Locks I have known

Here is what I have used for a year.

http://www.textrail.com/index.cfm?fu...2&categoryID=0
This is the same look as mine, but I bought a different make.

It fits over the extra large lip on the hitch for the Safari, since others don't.

LifeLong Locks - The Strongest, Most Theft-Proof Trailer Locks You Can Buy for the receiver and coupler lock.
Keyed alike, and they even had one for my 1.5" hitch receiver.
Smooth and easy to use.

For the LP gas tank lock and battery locks, I got some thread locks from
Lewster.

I also put a long wire rope lock around a wheel.

To foil those campground power stealers, I got a surgeguard hard wired to
the AC wiring inside, so it doesn't show.

And to foil those pesky stinger thieves, the latest Airstream Life had an excellent idea for an add-on to hold the receiver. I will put a hole in it
to put the lock in. Here's a picture of the article.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Henry/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Henry/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	StingerLock.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	61004

But the biggest improvement to my Air security was to get
indoor, locked storage in a locked storage yard.

But one can't live in fear, so I got insurance too...
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #118
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Thanx Hank, the Lifelong lock set looks pretty good-I think I will buy those-just waht I was looking for!

Thanx again, Bill
Old 05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #119
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Again, nothing will stop someone that really wants your trailer. The best you can hope for is to make your railer harder to steal than the next guy's. In that case, with any luck the thief will take his, and not yours.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride
It's still a deterrent. The pro's will get past anything and the crack head thief doesn't carry around drills to drill your lock off, they have already pawned their drill long ago.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote