Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I use a Cobra motorcycle cable and HD padlock through the wheels on my car trailer when I'm at car shows. The AS is in the garage when not on the road.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Does any one know how many AS are stolen a year? They don't strike me as a target?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't think it's many, but if it's yers.....

I know that someone claimed Chris Deam, the designer of the CCD got his CCD stolen...I think it was a prototype or first copy that had a few things on it that even the production versions didn't...not sure if he ever got it back:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=ccd+stolen
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I did a search using the word stolen and came up with a few trailers and some ancillary towing stuff that was swiped.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here is but one of many theft prevention devices employed to protect the Airstream...oh, yea...it's got a HEMI!
Hmmm...not sure if I even dare to knock on your door!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Yikes! All you gun-toting Airstreamers are scaring me!
Perhaps we should form a list of gun-toting Airstreamers so we don't inadvertently walk into their trailer without knocking!

Ya know, late at night, after an extended happy hour, the trailers can all start looking the same!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Already a thread out there...additionally, if you do a search under "firearm", you'll see many more threads...but I think this one was the most popular:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=firearm
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My heart goes out to those among us who have to live with these kind of concerns on a daily basis. Crime was just one of many reasons I chose to permanently re-locate to Maine many years ago. The first home we rented - although right in the middle of town - had no locks on the doors. Nowadays, due almost solely to the rampant drug problem that plagues every community , we do keep our doors locked. On the other hand, the Airstream itself is, IMHO, a target best suited to the professional thief with the means to tow and hide it (---pretty hard to do in Maine.) I worry more about some kid thinking that there might be gold bricks or drugs inside - while he batters his way through the door or window - doing thousands of dollars in damage! I keep the AS locked and, yes, I do use a simple hitch lock also, but I often wonder if I wouldn't be better off leaving it open - like we use to do with our boats in the marina. "Enter - take what you want - and leave quietly! I'll recover my losses from the insurance company without having to worry about repairs." As for using guns as a deterrant - almost every house in Maine has a full complement of firearms - and most "would be" amateur thiefs that live around here know it and fear it - thereby avoiding an occupied home! The problem is that, when the house isn't occupied - the firearms cache is worthless as a deterrant, but of great value in itself. Firearms are probably the most common items sought and stolen from unoccupied homes and camps.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Cracker,
Agreed...firearms are a great deterrent when you are there to use them, but when you're not....it did add a bit of humor to the thread though! My own guns stay in a Cannon gun safe at all times (except for the .45 by the bed). Safe from thieves and more importantly kids. Just another very important part of responsible gun ownership!
-Don

P.S. I do travel with a .45 too. Too many nuts on the road!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Thanks, Mark, yukionna, Keith, jimmickle, Michelle and others to follow...
Looking for more postings on this cold night even here in San Diego!

Thanks, Michelle, for your recommendation of Master LockÖ
I am leaning towards Master Lock Adjustable or Universal Coupler Lock.
Especially one that comes in Keyed Alike Trailer Lock Kit:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200172124_200172124

Just placed an order with Northernt Tool for the set, thanks very much for this post.........
Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Locks for HAHAs

What are folks using for locks on Hensley Arrow hitches?

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
Cracker,
Agreed...firearms are a great deterrent when you are there to use them, but when you're not....it did add a bit of humor to the thread though! My own guns stay in a Cannon gun safe at all times (except for the .45 by the bed). Safe from thieves and more importantly kids. Just another very important part of responsible gun ownership!
-Don

P.S. I do travel with a .45 too. Too many nuts on the road!
Cobra93

I use to travel with my M1 Carbine, since it tucks away nicely and isn't too long to break out in the trailer - but, unfortunately, too many of the places we frequent, such as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PE Island - and even Massachusetts - have strict prohibitive gun laws. I've been trying to "re-purchase" my deceased brothers 45 Colt Single Action - but the guy who presently owns it (---a close friend of my brother) is a bit attached to it! I always liked the style and functionality of the single action - as well as the feel of it. A great little pistol to keep handy!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Yikes! All you gun-toting Airstreamers are scaring me!
Perhaps we should form a list of gun-toting Airstreamers so we don't inadvertently walk into their trailer without knocking!

Ya know, late at night, after an extended happy hour, the trailers can all start looking the same!
It's a sad fact of life that there already exists a list and it is held by our "friends" at the ATF. Now all you will have to do is cross reference it with the DMV records of each state for Airstreas and bammm you have your list.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Exclamation Caution re: Ordering Master Lock Kit/Set

[quote=toastie]
toastie:
"Just placed an order with Northernt Tool for the set, thanks very much for this post."
.................................................. .................................................. .
Caution:
I have not verified that the coupler lock in this set will actually fit on Airstream trailers, especially the newer ones.
Some outlets on web do not state the ball size in this kit…
I suspect that this lock is for 2" ball size rather than the 2 5/16th needed by many of us.

I would like to hear from anyone who does use Master Lock…
What model # works for you and what year and model is your Airstream?
SilverGate