Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
First of all I have a 2016 Platinum F250. Too my surprise the Max Payload was only 1964 as seen on the tire inflation sticker on the door column. Here comes the sad part: My weight & my wife's weight=400#. The tongue weight with the WD hitch and trailer loaded for travel with water + is 1250#. The stuff in the back seat = 50#. Truck Cap = 300#. So all I can stick into the bed of the truck is NOTHING.

My 27FB Classic weighted in at 8450# The Truck has a Gross vehicle weight of 10,000# and the max combined vehicle weight = 23,500#. The diesel engine is great, would not be towing without it but it does eat up all of the payload capacity.

Be careful what you buy. Max sure it is rated to do the job. Only the door column sticker has your answer.

Happy streaming.
That is why I passes on the Platinum this time around. Ordered a Lariat Ultimate with the 6.8' bed,
Got all of the bells and whistles that were important with a 2,300 lbs payload. Saved 8 grand as well.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #22
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
"new Classic 30 will have a capacity to carry 2200 lbs." You can't go with the catalog number, just the TT weight sticker after assembly.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
"new Classic 30 will have a capacity to carry 2200 lbs." You can't go with the catalog number, just the TT weight sticker after assembly.
My weight sticker doesn't exist yet!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
My weight sticker doesn't exist yet!
Hi

..... so don't count on 2,200 pounds quite yet ...

While you *can* put a lot in a Classic, *where* you put it does matter more than a little bit. Put all the weight up in the overhead bins in the back and good luck keeping it on the road. Put it all up under the front sofa and good luck with the tongue weight.

If you watch the larger trailers as they zoom out of JC for delivery, not a single one is on a WD / AS hitch. They all head out on the ball behind a very conventional pickup truck. They don't seem to flip on a regular basis. They also don't seem to be running slow down the road. Follow behind one (if you can keep up) and there isn't much noticeable sway. What's the magic? The trailer is empty. The weight is balanced and most of the weight is low to the ground.

One trick - run down the road with a full fresh water tank. It's weight low and at the axle. It does indeed stabilize the trailer a bit. Important for those 85 MPH sprints

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
OK, let's start again. Ford allows for a 150 lb. driver: Cha-ching!

Your weight distribution hitch moves at least 300 lb. forward and
backward: Cha-ching!

I just found you 450 lbs of payload!
Ford does not "allow for" 150 lb of driver weight. The sticker clearly states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed". Full fuel *IS* taken into account.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford does not "allow for" 150 lb of driver weight. The sticker clearly states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed". Full fuel *IS* taken into account.
Hi

Indeed this sort of nonsense makes working out what's what very hard. On a page in the manual or on the web site, they figure in some number of passengers and / or the driver. If it's Honda, all of those "folks" weigh 125 pounds. So ... how many people are you? ( ... off for more meds ... ).

Bottom line - you *always* need to read their stupid fine print. This is part of why many people give up on these payload numbers and just use the axle numbers instead.

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
I was recently looking at some pickups on the dealer lots as well as on the net.

It is amazing to me how some of the crew cab half tons will have about zero payload left if you load 4 beefy guys into it and have a fiberglass shell on the bed.

You can get some versions with some payload, but wow was I surprised.

I stuck to commuter vehicle for now with no towing needed but wanted to consider and look at the trucks.

Very very nice trucks and would love one for commuting and towing.

I know I will probably have to order something in to get what I want, few had the larger fuel tanks and just looking at the door stickers was a big education.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
That's why a 70's airstreams are cool weight wise...

31 ft sovereigns weigh what 4900-5000 lbs dry way less than the new ones.

Of course one has to do a little work Haha! But that is a route to consider.
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
CO2 for the beer tap I'm installing on the side of the trailer.

Seriously, it is a water softener. One of the best purchases I've made for my trailer. This one will produce about 1000-1500 gal per charge. To charge you just add one cylindrical container of Morten salt.

Having soft water on the road is as luxurious as you can imagine. Lots of soft water means better tasting coffee, cleaner dishes, and lots of bubbles in the shower. It is also good for your water tanks and keeps the black tank working properly. Many people swear by adding water softener to the black tank.

https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html
THX for the water softener link. Looked at the installation instructions, too!
Where do you mount it? Portable on ground or attached to something? My grandfather traveled through rural Alabama in a VW camper (he died in '65) selling and servicing water softeners to farms. He let us ride on the cargo carrier on the roof. He'd be in jail for that today, but here I am, better for the experience.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
THX for the water softener link. Looked at the installation instructions, too!
Where do you mount it? Portable on ground or attached to something? My grandfather traveled through rural Alabama in a VW camper (he died in '65) selling and servicing water softeners to farms. He let us ride on the cargo carrier on the roof. He'd be in jail for that today, but here I am, better for the experience.
I bought some short water hoses just set it on the ground. My setup is as follows: From campground water supply I have a regulator first, a "Y" adapter then goes into a water filter (with ground mount) and then the water softener and finally into the trailer. I bought a set of quick connects for every hose to make this process very easy.

The softener will fit sideways in one of your side compartments (another good reason to get twin beds. You have great outside compartments!! I have one compartment dedicated to all my water components.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI threads/posts on water softeners: https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...com&gws_rd=ssl

. . . including this fairly recent one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...er-150258.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by biere View Post
I was recently looking at some pickups on the dealer lots as well as on the net.

It is amazing to me how some of the crew cab half tons will have about zero payload left if you load 4 beefy guys into it and have a fiberglass shell on the bed.

I stuck to commuter vehicle for now with no towing needed but wanted to consider and look at the trucks.

I know I will probably have to order something in to get what I want, few had the larger fuel tanks and just looking at the door stickers was a big education.
Hi

There are a *lot* of vehicles out there with really strange numbers for passenger weights. The auto building world really hasn't caught on to the fact that "real people" weight more than 125 pounds. It's not very hard around here to find 1500+ pounds of passengers to put in the crew cab of the truck ....

Bob
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by biere View Post

What is always lost in the conversation choosing a TV for an Airtstreams is their heavy tongue weight of trailers 25' and above. Most reasonably well equipped half tons with crew cabs come with around 1,500 lbs payload leaving about 500 lbs for people and stuff and that is skimpy.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Payload figuring can be very cornfusing, I use the CAT scale and load to our TV tire and axle ratings.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_384.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	321408  
Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
I was chasing leftover new stuff on the lots. Wanted commuting vehicle.

Some of the crew cab pickups sort of seemed like you could take you and 3 fullsized friends and a few coolers of food and beer and what not or you could hook up your not really all that huge camper and drive yourself and the camper around.

Hard to do both at once.

In looking at minivans, what can I say if the price was right I would take one, they can have a cute tow package of 3500 lbs across a few brands. In doing some reading and looking and learning if you fill your minivan with your family and all the gear a family needs, the tongue weight of a 3500lb trailer may put you over your weight limit by a few hundred lbs.

Just you and the trailer, no problem. Tow that 3500 lbs and be within specs.

I got myself a commuter and will save up but will be very careful when I go tow vehicle shopping because similar looking trucks to the eye can have different numbers.

What they call max tow, I kinda consider required to get reasonable numbers on the vehicle.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
I bought some short water hoses just set it on the ground. My setup is as follows: From campground water supply I have a regulator first, a "Y" adapter then goes into a water filter (with ground mount) and then the water softener and finally into the trailer. I bought a set of quick connects for every hose to make this process very easy.

The softener will fit sideways in one of your side compartments (another good reason to get twin beds. You have great outside compartments!! I have one compartment dedicated to all my water components.
THX for the info.
Our trailer is a 27’ FC FBQ (so, missed the convenient storage locker).
I think I understand everything except the “y” connector. Hose from campground supply into pressure regulator; into “Y”. One line goes to H2O softener and into trailer.
What do you do with the other line from the “Y”?
Hope you have time to respond.
pc
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
THX for the info.
Our trailer is a 27’ FC FBQ (so, missed the convenient storage locker).
I think I understand everything except the “y” connector. Hose from campground supply into pressure regulator; into “Y”. One line goes to H2O softener and into trailer.
What do you do with the other line from the “Y”?
Hope you have time to respond.
pc
I put another hose on that line and use it for outside fresh water for cleaning, dog dish, and eventually for the black tank flush if I need it.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #38
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
I put another hose on that line and use it for outside fresh water for cleaning, dog dish, and eventually for the black tank flush if I need it.
Turk 123, just did a one person survey of my 40 year experience RN wife; she said, keep track of the closest hospital while traveling if you physically cross connect black water and fresh water hoses. I understand the difference in possible and probable, but growing up in nuclear submarines and now Airsteams, I can tell you, if you build it and "it" can happen, "it" will happen. The term, "nothing is Sailor proof" may apply here.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The weight of all my stuff!

“Nothing is Sailor proof” always applies to any piece of hardware or software.
I spent the time in rate to earn that title. As a highly experienced sailor, there was nothing I or one of my shipmates could not break and we could subsequently fix in some manner. Still make a great living with all that I learned! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Turk 123, just did a one person survey of my 40 year experience RN wife; she said, keep track of the closest hospital while traveling if you physically cross connect black water and fresh water hoses. I understand the difference in possible and probable, but growing up in nuclear submarines and now Airsteams, I can tell you, if you build it and "it" can happen, "it" will happen. The term, "nothing is Sailor proof" may apply here.
Hi

First off, no I'm not going to conduct the experiment

I'm not convinced that the black tank flush used once and then disconnected is going to kill you. I suspect an anti-back-flow valve would be a "really good idea' if you were going to leave it hooked up full time.

Bob