Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The weight of all my stuff!

We are getting ready to pick up our trailer come middle of September so I have a unique opportunity to measure what I am taking in the trailer. Let me explain.

We are from Ohio, but we are picking up the trailer in Ft. Myers Florida. We have to rent a Uhaul trailer to get our stuff to Florida. We have boxed up most of our goods in plastic containers anticipating loading into the rented 6 x 12 trailer. So how much do we have?

I am guessing that most of us bring similar stuff that goes in the AS, but few of us have to haul it somewhere before putting it into the trailer. Consequently, you probably don't really know how much you brought. If you are off to a Cat scale, that certainly will give you an idea, but I can't do that right now without an AS to pull. So out came the bathroom scale! So how much do all the dishes, linen, shoes, food, clothes, appliances all weigh?

I was surprised to find out that our stuff came in at 489 lbs. A lot lower than I anticipated. We have other items that will be going with us such as a Yeti cooler, 2 electric bikes, tool chest, grill and camp stove, but these will be in the bed of the f-250 and not add to the trailer weight. Our new Classic 30 will have a capacity to carry 2200 lbs. plenty to accommodate our needs.

So after pairing down all we carry, we might add a few things back in.

Not everything in the image is going, so please, no comments on the toy soldier! We also have our linens and clothes that are not shown in the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuff 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	320874  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
It adds up quickly. We added 500 lbs of stuff to our 28 Serenity.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
The weight of all my stuff!

Add another 450 lbs for a full fresh water tank and you will be close to what I measured on the CAT scale, equipped for camping. It’s still 1000 lbs below GVWR. Our Classic has gained a few additional lbs recently with the addition of solar panels. Once I finish the battery upgrade I’ll take another trip across the scales. Enjoy your Classic!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's amazing how many hundred pounds just a little bit of beer can weight

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's amazing how many hundred pounds just a little bit of beer can weight

Bob
You could always switch to Lite beer
Old 08-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
pardon my ignorance but what is the dark green cylinder with the bright green hoses?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
pardon my ignorance but what is the dark green cylinder with the bright green hoses?
CO2 for the beer tap I'm installing on the side of the trailer.

Seriously, it is a water softener. One of the best purchases I've made for my trailer. This one will produce about 1000-1500 gal per charge. To charge you just add one cylindrical container of Morten salt.

Having soft water on the road is as luxurious as you can imagine. Lots of soft water means better tasting coffee, cleaner dishes, and lots of bubbles in the shower. It is also good for your water tanks and keeps the black tank working properly. Many people swear by adding water softener to the black tank.

https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html

Tom & Doty
Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

I tried that. I kept getting it confused with the bottled water ....

For us, what goes into the fridge *is* a pretty good chunk of weight. It's not all beer (... but close ...). Sometimes I wonder just how much weight is to much for that door latch.

Bob
Old 08-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
brick
Very interesting. Our Stuff loaded into the trailer also comes in at 480 to 550 lbs.
With tongue weight at 1, 050 plus dogs and people we were continually at 1, 800 to 1,900 lbs.
One major reason we upgraded to the F-250 when we moved up to the 30' Classic.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Very interesting. Our Stuff loaded into the trailer also comes in at 480 to 550 lbs.
With tongue weight at 1, 050 plus dogs and people we were continually at 1, 800 to 1,900 lbs.
One major reason we upgraded to the F-250 when we moved up to the 30' Classic.
Surely that 500 lbs. did not all go to the tongue weight? And you should have upgraded to the F-250. You deserve it!!!!

Tom & Doty
Old 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
First of all I have a 2016 Platinum F250. Too my surprise the Max Payload was only 1964 as seen on the tire inflation sticker on the door column. Here comes the sad part: My weight & my wife's weight=400#. The tongue weight with the WD hitch and trailer loaded for travel with water + is 1250#. The stuff in the back seat = 50#. Truck Cap = 300#. So all I can stick into the bed of the truck is NOTHING.

My 27FB Classic weighted in at 8450# The Truck has a Gross vehicle weight of 10,000# and the max combined vehicle weight = 23,500#. The diesel engine is great, would not be towing without it but it does eat up all of the payload capacity.

Be careful what you buy. Max sure it is rated to do the job. Only the door column sticker has your answer.

Happy streaming.
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
We have a 2018 Classic 30RB Twin and carry 1132 pounds of cargo (stuff) plus 448 pounds of fresh water in the trailer. Our TV is a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummin Diesel and we carry 1508 pounds of cargo in it.

We recently verified all our weights at a CAT scale. We were happily surprised to see that all our numbers were safely within spec. Thanks to the Forum members who shared how best to distribute weight!

We use a BlueOx SwayPro 1506 for weight distributing anti-sway.

We are 1100 pounds below the limit for the Airstream and TV.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
First of all I have a 2016 Platinum F250. Too my surprise the Max Payload was only 1964 as seen on the tire inflation sticker on the door column. Here comes the sad part: My weight & my wife's weight=400#. The tongue weight with the WD hitch and trailer loaded for travel with water + is 1250#. The stuff in the back seat = 50#. Truck Cap = 300#. So all I can stick into the bed of the truck is NOTHING.

My 27FB Classic weighted in at 8450# The Truck has a Gross vehicle weight of 10,000# and the max combined vehicle weight = 23,500#. The diesel engine is great, would not be towing without it but it does eat up all of the payload capacity.

Be careful what you buy. Max sure it is rated to do the job. Only the door column sticker has your answer.

Happy streaming.
OK, let's start again. Ford allows for a 150 lb. driver: Cha-ching!

Your weight distribution hitch moves at least 300 lb. forward and
backward: Cha-ching!

I just found you 450 lbs of payload!

Tom & Doty
Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post

Be careful what you buy. Max sure it is rated to do the job. Only the door column sticker has your answer.Happy streaming.
“Payload” is in not exceeding axle ratings. Sticker is without meaning. Doesn’t reference front axle share as what’s loaded into bed doesn’t much transfer.

Proper set-up of a tow vehicle involves the use of a weigh bridge (scale) for the WDH. Rough in at home. Three Pass Method once at truck stop. THAT transfer makes this fill-in-the-blank crap meaningless in re towing with a WDH.

An empty or near empty truck bed just makes those vehicles handle even worse than when solo. The truck needs to be (ideally) closer to 50/50 all around before hitching. What a better choice of vehicle is already.

After WD, the load on the rear will likely be well below limit (except on perhaps a quite long trip and the firewood plus cast iron collection, etc. The abnormalities).

What’s needed to go camping? Clothing and some food. That’s it. The rest is a form of “convenience “ not justified by hitch it and leave. If it’s not under an hour from decision to departure something needs to change as those “gotta have it” things get in the way of enjoyment. Will eventually (unconsciously) cancel some trips. Will also lead to premature sale.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We are getting ready to pick up our trailer come middle of September so I have a unique opportunity to measure what I am taking in the trailer. Let me explain.

We are from Ohio, but we are picking up the trailer in Ft. Myers Florida. We have to rent a Uhaul trailer to get our stuff to Florida. We have boxed up most of our goods in plastic containers anticipating loading into the rented 6 x 12 trailer. So how much do we have?

I am guessing that most of us bring similar stuff that goes in the AS, but few of us have to haul it somewhere before putting it into the trailer. Consequently, you probably don't really know how much you brought. If you are off to a Cat scale, that certainly will give you an idea, but I can't do that right now without an AS to pull. So out came the bathroom scale! So how much do all the dishes, linen, shoes, food, clothes, appliances all weigh?

I was surprised to find out that our stuff came in at 489 lbs. A lot lower than I anticipated. We have other items that will be going with us such as a Yeti cooler, 2 electric bikes, tool chest, grill and camp stove, but these will be in the bed of the f-250 and not add to the trailer weight. Our new Classic 30 will have a capacity to carry 2200 lbs. plenty to accommodate our needs.

So after pairing down all we carry, we might add a few things back in.

Not everything in the image is going, so please, no comments on the toy soldier! We also have our linens and clothes that are not shown in the image.
Better to load into TV. Hit the CAT Scale. And then separate what goes into TT. What matters is, the weight of things which MUST be carried outside the TT or TV passenger compartment. The gross you have tells you very little.

FWIW, I carry 500# of gear, equipment and supplies in the Peterbilt. Four seasons worth (take out winter gear from Memorial Day to Labor Day). May stay out weeks or even months.

My pickup is about 1200-lbs above published ship weight, and the TT is about the same both with the work truck stuff stowed aboard. Got rid of the house in the divorce. And, once slow TT restoration and truck renovation are complete (or close) I’ll be able to take a couple hundred of pounds out.

The resulting (current) 1,200-lb TW hardly requires a truck. I’ll be glad the day it doesn’t require me to have the garage afforded by the topper-covered bed. More work to drive and higher risk overall.

The plan is to be able to get “old” (my father and grandfather both sold their Silver Streak & Streamline, respectively, at age 75) with less of a burden to travel this way. Age and lessened energy correlate. Plenty of better TVs out there with lower safety risk yet the extra power needed to tow above strictly solo travel. Far easier to drive. Best to stay ahead of the decline curve.

“More” is actually “Less”.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Not that they each weigh a lot:

Well ... is 25' of hose enough or do you need 100' ... hmmm .... this campground, we need 150' ... yikes !!! Same issues with dump lines (though > 50' is past my record at this point). 50A power cords ... is 30' long enough? ... well ... not at that campground ... need to pack a 50' next time ....

Eventually this stuff *does* add up.

Bob
Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Talking

Quote:
I’d ditch the spare tire or a propane tank first.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
My Handy-dandy tool box must weigh 1000 lbs. Not really, but it feels like it.

It has some stuff that probably doesn't need to be in there, but there are already lots of good threads here on tools and fix-it supplies you should bring along.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
brick
the brick knows.......
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
My Handy-dandy tool box must weigh 1000 lbs. Not really, but it feels like it.

It has some stuff that probably doesn't need to be in there, but there are already lots of good threads here on tools and fix-it supplies you should bring along.
Hi

I'm sure that the tools plus spare parts easily make it to 200 pounds in my case. Do you need every single one? Well you don't right up until all of a sudden you do. Some stuff you could drive an hour to pick up at Lowes.

I'm not quite sure they carry giant torque wrenches. They might have four foot breaker bars ... 400+ foot-pound torque specs .... lots of fun ....

Bob