Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Maple Lake , Minnesota
The Right Hitch for a Lady

Hello Airstream Friends! We have a 27 Ft. Airstream Flying Cloud. We pull it with a 3500 RAM. My husband had a bad fall this summer and ended up with a traumatic brain injury. I am 67 and he is 71. My question for all of you concerns a hitch that I can put on and take off the truck that doesn't weigh 50-60 lbs. I'm OK with driving and backing it in (farm girl) but find taking off the hitch rather burdensome. I'm also interested in the electric awning. Any thoughts? Would the Hensley hitch be a good fit for a lady? Thanks, Krista

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. A 27' AS and 3500 Ram might lend itself to an Andersen hitch - those who use them love it. It doesn't push much weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle but with your setup you may not need much.

Research the Andersen hitch in these forums and see what you think.

Best to you and your hubby!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Very sorry to hear about your husband's health issues.

We have a 25 and use an Equalizer hitch and sway bars. We tow with a Tundra.

I am mid-50s and in decent shape and I can put the hitch on and the bars on myself. If the hitch is a bit too awkward, I would think that the a hitch grip would be a good thing to consider (google it, many sources)

I would estimate that the hitch weighs about 30 pounds and the bars are about 15 pounds each. We keep the bars in a old gun bag with a shoulder strap and that works really well for moving the bars from the trailer to the ground when we get ready to go. And it is good for storing them out of the way when we are in camp.

If you can do the backing up part (I have not mastered that yet so my husband does that part) then you would be good to go with an equalizer.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hensley and ProPride both have the only part to take on and off the truck is the stinger. No messing with bars or heads...all that stays on the trailer. Some have put a handle on the stinger, others built a box with wheels to move the stinger around. I'm almost as old as your husband and have no issues lifting the stinger assembly.

Best wishes to you both!
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My sister wanted to own an Airstream. She had no towing experience at all, a rookie in every sense of the word. I set her f150 and 25' Airstream up with a Hensley because I wanted her to be safe. I gave her some crash courses in towing and hitching. She has been confidently towing on her own for a couple of years now though I still get the odd phone call once in a while to remember how to do things.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Have you considered a small crane installed in the bed of your truck? EBay

It looks like it would allow you remove any hitch head from the receiver and drop it onto the ground or in the bed of the truck with the tailgate down (possibly with it up.) Easy to reinstall too. They have larger types that can definitely operate over a closed tailgate.

Useful for generators too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	294584

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1235.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	294586
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Around here, the "normal" approach is to leave the basic hitch on the back of the truck. That works a bit better with the smaller hitches. There are states / areas that get a bit excited about hitches left on trucks. I've never been approached about mine. For year end / year start sort of removal / attach something that normally lives in the garage is not to hard to rig up.

Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Maple Lake , Minnesota
I've heard a bit about the Reese hitch. Will take some time to look at that one too. Good to hear about your sister and her success in towing and backing. It gives me the courage to know that a lady can handle the trailer too. Thanks, Krista
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Maple Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for your good ideas. We do have the stabilizer bars so I like the idea of an old gun bag to store them. I'm trying to make the setup process as easy on my back as possible. A new hitch will be a necessity for us. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Krista
Old 09-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I store my bars inside two pvc tubes that I taped together.

But with your combo id definitely look at the Andersen hitch.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Almost if not all states have law that req. hitch heads, balls etc. be removed when not towing, not part under veh. Can cause damage with hitch sticking out, then huge liability claim and trip to court for ticket, as person that backed into side of my new car found out a few yrs. ago, was very costly for him, also his ins. co. not happy. So be aware of this law.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
The Right Hitch for a Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Almost if not all states have law that req. hitch heads, balls etc. be removed when not towing, not part under veh. Can cause damage with hitch sticking out, then huge liability claim and trip to court for ticket, as person that backed into side of my new car found out a few yrs. ago, was very costly for him, also his ins. co. not happy. So be aware of this law.

Can you point us to this law? I know there are laws about restrictin license plates but not many that require removin the hitch. I could be wrong. There was a thing in Illinois where they were gonna require ones that stick out more than 4" to be removed or painted red, but it didn't pass. I'm just curious where it ain't legal cause I can't find it.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...76&LegID=46447
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
In Michigan if it sticks out more than 4' it needs a red flag. I usually take my hitch of because I hang out in Detroit where it will be stolen and sold for scrap.

If you rear end my truck you get what you get.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Any research you do keep coming back to the bill introduced in Illinois about a ball being left in the receiver. Which by the way is officially declared dead a year or so ago. Any other state i can find has no laws on the books regarding hitches left in the receiver.