Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
The posted question was" WHAT IS THE RIGHT HITCH FOR A LADY" as the hitch she has is too heavy and she goes on to explain. So, ..................., what is the answer?
mj

BlueOX and leave it on
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I said Equal-i-zer and don't remove the weight bars, but slide them back from the hitch head and leave them in the L-brackets after using the trailer's electric tongue jack to lift the truck and trailer high enough to remove the bars from the hitch head by hand with no effort...
Don't uncouple unless you need the truck...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #43
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
The posted question was" WHAT IS THE RIGHT HITCH FOR A LADY" as the hitch she has is too heavy and she goes on to explain. So, ..................., what is the answer?
mj
See post #6 above. With an inexpensive truck bed crane any hitch can be easily removed.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #44
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
mj
Well since my wife has always been stronger than me and able to do everything I can and more.... I would say any hitch is right for a lady. But since the op is suggestin she might have issues with heavy stuff, we gave her some options.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #45
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Just had my RAM 3500 weighed; 5280 steering, 4500 drive, for a 8243 curb weight, 12300 GVWR. Unless you are going to carry 1500# of tools, Leer cap, and stuff, not as much need for weight distribution for your trailer's tongue weight, which your 3500 may not even notice. I'd still buy the Pro Pride, if just for the added margin of sway control, ease of operation, and rock solid connection. Pulls our '17 Classic 30' like a dream.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndKrista View Post
Hello Airstream Friends! We have a 27 Ft. Airstream Flying Cloud. We pull it with a 3500 RAM. My husband had a bad fall this summer and ended up with a traumatic brain injury. I am 67 and he is 71. My question for all of you concerns a hitch that I can put on and take off the truck that doesn't weigh 50-60 lbs. I'm OK with driving and backing it in (farm girl) but find taking off the hitch rather burdensome. I'm also interested in the electric awning. Any thoughts? Would the Hensley hitch be a good fit for a lady? Thanks, Krista

Krista, I chose the Andersen because it's easy and not heavy. Traveled over 10,000 miles last year and no problems.
Mageliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I don't know whether it is actually illegal to leave the stringer IN the hitch, but ouch! when you whack it with your shin!

I have heard the observation that being rear ended hard enough could break the hitch mounts and possibly bend the frame of the tow vehicle... No proof, but if you think about it, a stringer does prevent the crumple zone from crumpling. In a 5 to 10 mph bump you are going to inflict all of the damage, at 40 mph maybe not.

That said I tend to leave mine in if I am overnight camping, and remove it when I will be staying for several days. A bag with a handle to lift the stringer to the truck bed is a good idea.

BEST carrier for a propane bottle is a milk crate. That could work well for the stringer too. BTW the Hensley stringer is heavier than the Blue Ox.

Paula
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I saw a setup at a campground recently I've never contemplated. A camper who leaves his hitch permanently coupled to his trailer by the hitch ball and disconnects at the truck receiver thus never having to lift the stinger. I had to ask if it was a challenge to 'thread the needle' backing the truck reciever on to the stinger to rehook. He said sometimes. I think I read here that others are doing this? I guess it offers the advantage of always being locked on the trailer by the hitch ball and elimimates lifting the heavy stinger to the receiver but getting that lined up just right to pull off & back the TV onto it perfectly straight?...that sounds tough.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Krista,

I suggest you test whether you need weight distribution, as a first step. Attach the trailer to TV and see how much the rear goes down and the front goes up. There are lots of videos at etrailer and on uTube as to how to do this.

If you conclude weight distribution isn't needed, then there are lots of hitches with the auxiliary ball (or balls) for attaching a friction-based sway control bar. This will be your lightest option.

If weight distribution is needed, then your heaviest option will be Hensley/ProPride. If you go for one of those, I suggest the hoist attached to your truck, as suggested in a previous post.

The lightest option is the Andersen, but with your relatively heavy trailer, I think this is not the best option and will afford little weight distribution. It's better for light trailers, but less so for bigger ones, like yours. There are better ways to get sway control.

Finally, there's "everyone else." I use a Curt, which is about like the Eaz-Lift/Equal-Izer/Reese, etc. All these weigh about the same--30 lb. or so with the WD bars removed. You'll need to decide if this is more than you wish to lift. If so, and weight distribution is desired, then the hoist may be the ticket.

Hope this helps.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
I saw a setup at a campground recently I've never contemplated. A camper who leaves his hitch permanently coupled to his trailer by the hitch ball and disconnects at the truck receiver thus never having to lift the stinger. I had to ask if it was a challenge to 'thread the needle' backing the truck reciever on to the stinger to rehook. He said sometimes. I think I read here that others are doing this? I guess it offers the advantage of always being locked on the trailer by the hitch ball and elimimates lifting the heavy stinger to the receiver but getting that lined up just right to pull off & back the TV onto it perfectly straight?...that sounds tough.
Hi

I think you would risk messing up the receiver on the truck doing that on a regular basis.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How would that damage the receiver? I've seen lots of people do that for many years.
Hensley and ProPride work on that same principle in reverse.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How would that damage the receiver? I've seen lots of people do that for many years.
Hensley and ProPride work on that same principle in reverse.
I envisioned it being dented or bent backing up against the stinger, being off center...the guy I saw doing it this way said the hardest part was lining up the hitch pin holes. My worry would be jamming it in a twisting scenario that would require a sledge hammer to get it out!...maybe an unfounded condition. I have enough trouble getting the ball under the trailer coupling lined up just so. Getting the stinger lined up to slide squarely into the receiver sounds several degrees more difficult IMO. Maybe with laser sighting or sonething?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Awfully thick steel to be dented...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Yep...but when ~3 tons of weight moving back towards another 3 tons or so meet accidentally misaligned at let's say a higher than desired speed ...I'm a "anticipate your worst case scenario" type...lol
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #55
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tom and Krista,

No recommendation on the hitch, just kudos and happy trails about continuing the camping.

Regards,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote