Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We started out as newbies last October and headed west from DC to California. 30,000+ miles later, we returned to metro DC in mid-June. We went up and down the PCH twice and all over the west and mountain west, other than Oregon and Washington. FC 27; ProPride, 2015 Sierra 1500 6.2 liter with max trailer tow package. The only damage to trailer was to the "fins" under the rear frame because of an insufficient departure angle. Watch out leaving gas stations; try not to hit their ramps square or you may scrape!
We do not have TPMS, but we do check air pressure every morning and have a look-around every time we stop.
My personal speed limit was 60 or the posted limit, whichever is lower. I also imposed a personal daily mileage limit of 300 miles. That avoids fatigue and reduces the temptation to "overdrive" you're limits, your rig, the conditions, etc. I always drive the right lane; you do not want faster vehicles passing you on the right! If you're uncomfortable on the Interstate with the traffic doing 80 (the speed limit in much of Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Idaho) while you're doing 60 or 65, get off the Interstate! You're not a long-haul trucker; you're a sightseer and there's more to see off the freeways.
Very early on, on the 3 local trips we took before leaving on the Big One, we had some "porpoising." That was cured by adding some more WD tension.
I will say that the drum brakes on the Airstream are not always linear in application, but I adjusted the controller so they would chirp a little at very low speeds on wet pavement, then back off a click. My truck has an 8-speed transmission that will shift down to hold a set speed on downhills. It will keep shifting down until it has the engine spinning at 4500 rpm if necessary. I never fried the brakes and didn't descend grades at "rolling roadblock" speeds. I never rounded a curve at the "maximum safe speed" that made me feel I was on the ragged edge of control.
If you're tempted to haul ass at 70 'cause everybody's doing it and your truck develops 1000 pound-feet of torque go find yourself an empty piece of road, accelerate to 70 or whatever speed you think you should be going and then stop as quick as you can. After you see how much longer distance it takes for you to stop, as compared to what you can achieve with your regular vehicle, you might want to re-think your personal speed limit.
Finally, if you're on a 2-lane with a bunch of traffic backed up behind you. Pull over and let 'em pass; it's safer that way.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Very very sensible post. Applause!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
DC Bruce nailed it! IMO This thread is about possible causes of trailer accidents. I think we are all learning from each other. Thanks.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #64
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have 47,000 miles on my '14 Ram 2500 w/Cummins TBD. About 46,000 miles are towing. Just back yesterday from 3 weeks in the Airstream. Up to New England and back. Pulling a trailer simply requires a lot of attention to what's going on around you. A LOT more attention than just driving a car. I saw too many stupid drivers to count. Clearly, lots of people practice AGGRESSIVE driving rather than DEFENSIVE driving. For sure, people do not understand maneuverability and control limitations of towing a 30' trailer behind a pickup or they wouldn't cut in front of you, tailgate, and a bunch of stupid other issues. One of the things that I find beyond confounding is that too many people do NOT know how to merge onto an interstate highway. Either they cannot judge speed, or they do not realize when it is impossible for me to move into the left lane to allow them to S-L-O-W-L-Y bring their 4 wheeler up to the speed of traffic (usually because there's someone on my left). Having lived and driven in Europe for 7 years, I wish the US had the same stringent licensing requirements that they have there. For one thing, the left lane on a 4 lane highway serves a single purpose -- passing. Not for just "hanging out." I really believe that knowing the capability of both your TV/trailer set-up and your own ability is central to being safe. (I'd also say that there are too many miles of highways that are in beyond deplorable condition....and that many of the poorly patched roads make it even tougher to stay safe.)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
We started out as newbies last October and headed west from DC to California. 30,000+ miles later, we returned to metro DC in mid-June. We went up and down the PCH twice and all over the west and mountain west, other than Oregon and Washington. FC 27; ProPride, 2015 Sierra 1500 6.2 liter with max trailer tow package. The only damage to trailer was to the "fins" under the rear frame because of an insufficient departure angle. Watch out leaving gas stations; try not to hit their ramps square or you may scrape!
We do not have TPMS, but we do check air pressure every morning and have a look-around every time we stop.
My personal speed limit was 60 or the posted limit, whichever is lower. I also imposed a personal daily mileage limit of 300 miles. That avoids fatigue and reduces the temptation to "overdrive" you're limits, your rig, the conditions, etc. I always drive the right lane; you do not want faster vehicles passing you on the right! If you're uncomfortable on the Interstate with the traffic doing 80 (the speed limit in much of Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Idaho) while you're doing 60 or 65, get off the Interstate! You're not a long-haul trucker; you're a sightseer and there's more to see off the freeways.
Very early on, on the 3 local trips we took before leaving on the Big One, we had some "porpoising." That was cured by adding some more WD tension.
I will say that the drum brakes on the Airstream are not always linear in application, but I adjusted the controller so they would chirp a little at very low speeds on wet pavement, then back off a click. My truck has an 8-speed transmission that will shift down to hold a set speed on downhills. It will keep shifting down until it has the engine spinning at 4500 rpm if necessary. I never fried the brakes and didn't descend grades at "rolling roadblock" speeds. I never rounded a curve at the "maximum safe speed" that made me feel I was on the ragged edge of control.
If you're tempted to haul ass at 70 'cause everybody's doing it and your truck develops 1000 pound-feet of torque go find yourself an empty piece of road, accelerate to 70 or whatever speed you think you should be going and then stop as quick as you can. After you see how much longer distance it takes for you to stop, as compared to what you can achieve with your regular vehicle, you might want to re-think your personal speed limit.
Finally, if you're on a 2-lane with a bunch of traffic backed up behind you. Pull over and let 'em pass; it's safer that way.
There are times,places and conditions you can safely drive at 70. There are times and road conditions one can barely go 25. There are days I can easily do 400 miles there are days I only want or need to do 180. Isn't living in a free country wonderful ? We are free to make choices for ourselves. One of the joys of being retired is not being told day in day out what to do or what not to do. Your post sounds a great deal like something that would be put out by a government apparatchik.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have 47,000 miles on my '14 Ram 2500 w/Cummins TBD. About 46,000 miles are towing. Just back yesterday from 3 weeks in the Airstream. Up to New England and back. Pulling a trailer simply requires a lot of attention to what's going on around you. A LOT more attention than just driving a car. I saw too many stupid drivers to count. Clearly, lots of people practice AGGRESSIVE driving rather than DEFENSIVE driving. For sure, people do not understand maneuverability and control limitations of towing a 30' trailer behind a pickup or they wouldn't cut in front of you, tailgate, and a bunch of stupid other issues. One of the things that I find beyond confounding is that too many people do NOT know how to merge onto an interstate highway. Either they cannot judge speed, or they do not realize when it is impossible for me to move into the left lane to allow them to S-L-O-W-L-Y bring their 4 wheeler up to the speed of traffic (usually because there's someone on my left). Having lived and driven in Europe for 7 years, I wish the US had the same stringent licensing requirements that they have there. For one thing, the left lane on a 4 lane highway serves a single purpose -- passing. Not for just "hanging out." I really believe that knowing the capability of both your TV/trailer set-up and your own ability is central to being safe. (I'd also say that there are too many miles of highways that are in beyond deplorable condition....and that many of the poorly patched roads make it even tougher to stay safe.)
I was born in Europe and grew up there. There isn't anything I would want adopted from their stifling way of existence here. As it is we have deteriorated way to far in their direction. I prefer to live in a free country with all its imperfections. You guys need to chill out with all your pontificating about how we should all behave on the road. You sound like a bunch of old man with too much time on your hands.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There are times when I safely tow faster than 60, 70, and even faster than 75....

Of course some folks will disagree with my contention, but that is cool.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"I was born in Europe and grew up there. There isn't anything I would want adopted from their stifling way of existence here. As it is we have deteriorated way to far in their direction. I prefer to live in a free country with all its imperfections. You guys need to chill out with all your pontificating about how we should all behave on the road. You sound like a bunch of old man with too much time on your hands."

Agreed! And specifically I do not want to have to tow at 45 mph without a weight distributing hitch.

Yeah, I am and "old man with time on my hands" but it sure does not seem like too much time now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
I will happily share the right lane with DC Bruce anytime and I am not a gov't apparatchik but a guy who has learned a lesson or two the hard way.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In my many years of flying as pilot in command, we have a saying that fits here as well:

There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots.

Of course the major difference is the element of "down" in addition to left and right.

I know that my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins and 2014 31' Classic with disc brakes weighing 19,200 pounds road ready can in no way stop as fast as the racing Porsche I drove on the track or the models that are street legal.

Despite our self perception, our response time to a perceived situation gets longer as we age. For me, the compensation is to slow down and increase the following distance to give me more time to react to a situation. Also calling it a day when I get tired and pull off.

I want to get there pulling the box, not be in the box.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
https://youtu.be/-KNbKFMBsQE

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Still being talked about inside Boeing....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Roger that, Switz. After 4 combat deployments (shot at, rocketed, mortored), with no physical damage; I'm not about to temp fate by driving fast with my beautiful AS FC.
Thanks,
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Pollock , Louisiana
A lot of good info. Thanks
wpugh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
I think most people are oblivious to the fact that ST tires are only rated for 65mph......
NOT a universally-correct statement....and I wish folks would update their info about ST tires...but even if it were correct, ... I doubt that would stop the Evel-Knevels in the world of trailer-pullers.

DC Bruce is right-ON! Thanks for that sensible post.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote