Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oak Grove , Kentucky
Try an adapter

Hello! We experienced this problem with our VW Touareg! Found a smart up at a trailer shop who recommended an adapter, a short extension to the 7-way plug, which amplifies he output signal of the AS - problem solved!
Viks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oak Grove , Kentucky
Try this!

We had this exact situation with our new 2015 AS and our VW Touareg! We eventually found an adapter. At a trailer shop that boosts the AS output signal. Short cable that plugs into the 7-way. Problem solved!! It may work for your Tesla.
Viks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Unherdable: I have nothing to add to the conversation except you are living my dream I am looking for a good deal on a 2016 Bambi to pull with my Porsche Macan, but my true dream would be to have the Model X as my Tow Vehicle instead.

I hope you keep us informed about your adventures, the 100 miles means that it isn't quite ready for my dreams to become a reality, but I believe that in a couple of years it will be a whole different story.

Thanks!

Tara - Dreaming of a Bambi in my near future
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There is a couple in Canada planning to tow an Alto trailer (looks like a big Basecamp) with a Model X coast to coast across Canada. The trailer is covered in PV panels.
I hope they make it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
It works!!

Woohoo!

Curt 57003 LED Trailer Light Adapter, $23.99 on Amazon.

When I connected the Tesla to the airstream, it autodetected the trailer and everything works great. The Prodigy RF brake controller works great too.

And.... I plugged both the Airstream and the Tesla into my RV hookup at home, so I am charging and running AC at the same time....

iPhone photos attached. I'll take better photos later.

Thanks to everyone for all comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	265003   Click image for larger version

Name:	as2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	265004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	as3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	265005  
Unherdable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #26

2018 30' International
Naples , Florida
LED lights not recognized

I had the same problem with my tow vehicle. All I had to do was buy an adapter that fit into my normal trailer plug-in receptacle. It allowed my vehicle to recognize the low voltage LED lights in my 2016 Flying Cloud 27FB. I had the same problem when I tried to rent a trailer from U-Haul last year and did not resolve it that time. Hope this helps.
dp10ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
I hope you keep us informed about your adventures, the 100 miles means that it isn't quite ready for my dreams to become a reality, but I believe that in a couple of years it will be a whole different story.
Yes, you're right, I think we need the 500 mile battery before this is feasible. According to my calculations, based on my first 50 mile tow, I should be able to do about 140 miles on a full charge. But in reality, I don't want to run it down to zero, so 100 mile range seems reasonable. This was based on 65 mph towing in mixed traffic here in TX, on a very hot day. The AC uses a big chunk of power. Also, we have the 22" wheels, which look good compared to the 20" wheel option, but just by themselves are a huge hit on the efficiency (surprisingly so). The technology is probably not quite there yet for practical use, but I am sure it will get there. In the meantime, we have several nice spots within 100 miles from our house that will provide fun camping!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
100 mile range in Texas is pretty limiting at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but I'm not sure I could deal with it. But as long as you have spots that you like in your area that's all that matter.

Lake Tawakoni gets great reviews and was listed as a top state park in your area, but I wasn't super impressed when I spent the weekend there last year (but I have to admit I'm more of the hiking type and places like Caprock Canyon and Palo Duro Canyon are more attractive than boating and fishing places for myself). But there are several (mostly lake) state parks in the Dallas area and I've not been to many of those myself.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
100 mile range in Texas is pretty limiting at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but I'm not sure I could deal with it. But as long as you have spots that you like in your area that's all that matter.
Even with our previous RVs we found ourselves spending a lot of time at local state parks for a Saturday evening by the lake.... For example, one spot we returned to A LOT was Cedar Hill State Park, which is only about 30 miles from Dallas. It would simply be a place to go and camp out by the lake, barbecue and drink some wine, and then return back home in time for a late brunch on Sunday.

But Isle Du Bois State Park, Possum Kingdom, Lake Whitney, are also all within the 100 mile radius. Even Eisenhower State Park is within the zone. The requirement however is to find a 50A campsite, which is not so easy. And then hope that it would be possible to charge the Tesla AND run the AC in the Airstream. The big jump for us would be to head for the much more fun state parks in the hill country, but we would have to hit the Supercharger in Waco, and then hope to have a spot within 100 miles of that, because unfortunately the supercharger in San Marcos is probably out of reach. What we need is a super charger north of Austin, perhaps Georgetown or that vicinity.... Now if I lived in Austin, there would be many more possibilities.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post
Now if I lived in Austin, there would be many more possibilities.
But then you would have to deal with the traffic and getting out of Austin. Austin today reminds me of my time in the 90's I spent working on a short project for my company that had offices in Austin and in San Jose. In San Jose, every weekend it was a mass exodus out of the area and into the surrounding countryside. Sunday was the mass return. Austin in many ways reminds me of that today. I keep hoping that I can figure out how to retire a bit earlier than planned so I can get away from this mess... Maybe since I grew up here and and seen all the changes, it's what the city has become that turns me off, but I keep wanting to go a bit further away from the city and back into more open space... and I would love to keep my Airstream at my house instead of parked at a storage facility.

If I have any complaint about the park system in the area, it's hard to get a space at times. Certain parks you can rule out during the summer, others are again more fishing than hiking and as I said, I'm more of a hiker rather than a fisherman.

Anyhow, glad to see you got things sorted out with the Tesla. Not only will heads turn when you drive by because of the Airstream, but a Tesla pulling it! Now, there's something people don't see everyday.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:25 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Maybe a generator that could provide a quick charge would help?
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #32

Rollingwood , Texas
Tesla X LED Lights Curt 57300 Range?

Thanks for info!

Just bought a new 2017 airstream Sport 22FB but no working LED lights. Looked this up and ordered the Curt 57300 adapter from amazon for $21. Hoping to get on the road with my Model X soon as it arrives.

Anyone have range experience? 100 miles seems like a reasonable estimate. I was pleasantly surprised how well Model X towed the airstream though I had to quickly stop towing after getting error message and realizing LED lights were not working.
Gmgtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Seems to work for these guys.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/07/te...ng-airstreams/
Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Interesting link, although I have no idea how they think they will make it between superchargers, when I occasionally struggle to make it in my X even when I am towing nothing! For example, the Wichita to Topeka stretch in the middle of Summer when the temp is well over 100 degrees....

The range is very sensitive to headwinds and terrain. Or maybe they are driving at < 55mph the whole way, that could work possibly.....
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
That is only 140miles distance.

Tesla can't be sold in Missouri but I've seen a couple of them even around Nixa.

Kelvin
Old 09-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post
Interesting link, although I have no idea how they think they will make it between superchargers, when I occasionally struggle to make it in my X even when I am towing nothing! For example, the Wichita to Topeka stretch in the middle of Summer when the temp is well over 100 degrees....

The range is very sensitive to headwinds and terrain. Or maybe they are driving at < 55mph the whole way, that could work possibly.....
It is exactly 100 miles between Santa Barbara and Hawthorne, CA where the project is based. Sounds like they were right on the towing range limit.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
Out of curiosity, can you dingy tow the Tesla 4 down behind an Interstate (or larger Class A/B/C)?
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmgtex View Post
Just bought a new 2017 airstream Sport 22FB but no working LED lights. Looked this up and ordered the Curt 57300 adapter from amazon for $21.
My Cayenne was produced in July, 2005 when Bosch had no idea that LEDs would replace incandescents so no surprise that I have this problem. But Tesla's loaded with talented software engineer so I'm really surprised that they missed this. Software update?
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, since Tesla has no dealerships where do owners take their cars for service and technical issues?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #40

Rollingwood , Texas
Tesla towing airstream

Tesla has service centers to service vehicles in states that do not have dealers to sell them. They also have showrooms, they just can't make the sale. You order them on the internet. I'm not sure if these new design centers on wheels inside airstreams can go into states with such dealer laws.
Gmgtex is offline   Reply With Quote