Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Keep in mind that 50A service is actually 2 x 50A legs. 30A service is a single 30A leg.

Grab a 50A x 2 30A pigtail. The camper can use one leg of the 50A to run the AC, the other leg can charge the vehicle.
I thought that the 50A service was actually 2x20A 120V services, which could be combined into a single 40A 240V service. This is based entirely on experience and what I have measured.

In addition, the Tesla has dual chargers and it "sees" the 50A outlet as a single 40A charging source. So the 50A outlet would be quicker than a single 30A 120V leg, which is actually a 120V 20A leg...

Most Tesla owners install the 50A plug at home for charging.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Does the Model X come with dual chargers?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Does the Model X come with dual chargers?
My S did but you're right the X does not! I typed too quickly.

Anyway doesn't matter, one leg of the 50A is +120V the other is -120V, so they are combined in the adapter to create a single 240V connection at 40A.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
You are well set at home, but weren't we talking about options for recharging at a campground?

I agree using the 50a plug for the car and the 30a plug for the trailer is the best solution.

If a 80a or 100a pedestal is available and not shared with another site.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
"So what is different? The Airstream from 2015 model year up has LED lights. Does the Tesla not recognize a connection, because there is not enough of a current draw for the lights?

Has anyone here connected 2015+ Airstream to a Tesla Model X successfully? Or has anyone had issues like this with any other vehicles, specifically if the trailer has LED exterior lights?"

From what I understand, your comment quoted above which I bolded is the light problem, & it's also on other Euro SUVs & tow capable cars too.

I think what you need is this Reese adapter as used for the Porsche Cayenne, it's siblings & other Euro SUVs (apparently the Curt version doesn't work for these Euros)....

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=R...+adapter+20142

More info is here related to Euro/Cayenne which I've researched, & I'm sure the Tesla X crowd will get time too as more get on the road & towing, but try this now for your pairing issues & lights should/may work with the Reese adapter above.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-77832.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-51182.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-43386.html

I do see that your 1st post says you're paired with the "c" - so the above may not be a problem for you, but I included it just in case once the adapter is added - as well as for other X owners who may have RF pairing issues.

We also have the Tekonsha RF unit on the trailer, & once it's paired, it remembers the vehicle type (we've been renting various TV since July 2012 & just have to pair once per make/type/model), but we're still on the hunt for our Cayenne, so can't speak to that yet.

It may also be worthwhile to post your own question with eTrailer, but their "experts" may not know. Also ask Tesla, for their vaunted customer service.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oak Grove , Kentucky
we had same problem with VW TOUAREG...ended up buying adapter cable from a trailer shop for about $20 bucks - which boosts output signal from AS. It works perfectly every time!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oak Grove , Kentucky
Try an adapter

Hello! We experienced this problem with our VW Touareg! Found a smart up at a trailer shop who recommended an adapter, a short extension to the 7-way plug, which amplifies he output signal of the AS - problem solved!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Oak Grove , Kentucky
Try this!

We had this exact situation with our new 2015 AS and our VW Touareg! We eventually found an adapter. At a trailer shop that boosts the AS output signal. Short cable that plugs into the 7-way. Problem solved!! It may work for your Tesla.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Unherdable: I have nothing to add to the conversation except you are living my dream I am looking for a good deal on a 2016 Bambi to pull with my Porsche Macan, but my true dream would be to have the Model X as my Tow Vehicle instead.

I hope you keep us informed about your adventures, the 100 miles means that it isn't quite ready for my dreams to become a reality, but I believe that in a couple of years it will be a whole different story.

Thanks!

Tara - Dreaming of a Bambi in my near future
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #24
Site Team

, Minnesota
There is a couple in Canada planning to tow an Alto trailer (looks like a big Basecamp) with a Model X coast to coast across Canada. The trailer is covered in PV panels.
I hope they make it.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
It works!!

Woohoo!

Curt 57003 LED Trailer Light Adapter, $23.99 on Amazon.

When I connected the Tesla to the airstream, it autodetected the trailer and everything works great. The Prodigy RF brake controller works great too.

And.... I plugged both the Airstream and the Tesla into my RV hookup at home, so I am charging and running AC at the same time....

iPhone photos attached. I'll take better photos later.

Thanks to everyone for all comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	265003   Click image for larger version

Name:	as2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	265004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	as3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	265005  
Old 06-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #26

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
LED lights not recognized

I had the same problem with my tow vehicle. All I had to do was buy an adapter that fit into my normal trailer plug-in receptacle. It allowed my vehicle to recognize the low voltage LED lights in my 2016 Flying Cloud 27FB. I had the same problem when I tried to rent a trailer from U-Haul last year and did not resolve it that time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTara View Post
I hope you keep us informed about your adventures, the 100 miles means that it isn't quite ready for my dreams to become a reality, but I believe that in a couple of years it will be a whole different story.
Yes, you're right, I think we need the 500 mile battery before this is feasible. According to my calculations, based on my first 50 mile tow, I should be able to do about 140 miles on a full charge. But in reality, I don't want to run it down to zero, so 100 mile range seems reasonable. This was based on 65 mph towing in mixed traffic here in TX, on a very hot day. The AC uses a big chunk of power. Also, we have the 22" wheels, which look good compared to the 20" wheel option, but just by themselves are a huge hit on the efficiency (surprisingly so). The technology is probably not quite there yet for practical use, but I am sure it will get there. In the meantime, we have several nice spots within 100 miles from our house that will provide fun camping!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
100 mile range in Texas is pretty limiting at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but I'm not sure I could deal with it. But as long as you have spots that you like in your area that's all that matter.

Lake Tawakoni gets great reviews and was listed as a top state park in your area, but I wasn't super impressed when I spent the weekend there last year (but I have to admit I'm more of the hiking type and places like Caprock Canyon and Palo Duro Canyon are more attractive than boating and fishing places for myself). But there are several (mostly lake) state parks in the Dallas area and I've not been to many of those myself.