Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Tail dragging

What is the best way, or at least some good options, to prevent rear frame dragging in driveways with a slope. I have two weld-on style rollers purchased from Camping World. I have some ideas on how to install but would like input from others that have done so already. I am thinking of tying the short rear frame "C" channel sections, that are about 2 feet long, together with 1/2" X 4" iron strap on the bottom and then welding the rollers on a bracket that would place them about an inch below the 4" strap just outside of these short rear frame members. My trailer is an '02 30' Classic with slide/out. I have watched for months and have not seen this problem mentioned. Am I the only "tail dragger" out there ?
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Farmer Dan,

Welcome to the forums.. You have a nice airstream... however I might be a bit biased as I have the same one.. and the same issue as you. DO NOT install those wheels.. you have to come up with another solution as the frame is not designed to handle that stress back there.. Heres what i did.. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...elp-44448.html

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
What is the best way, or at least some good options, to prevent rear frame dragging in driveways with a slope. I have two weld-on style rollers purchased from Camping World. I have some ideas on how to install but would like input from others that have done so already. I am thinking of tying the short rear frame "C" channel sections, that are about 2 feet long, together with 1/2" X 4" iron strap on the bottom and then welding the rollers on a bracket that would place them about an inch below the 4" strap just outside of these short rear frame members. My trailer is an '02 30' Classic with slide/out. I have watched for months and have not seen this problem mentioned. Am I the only "tail dragger" out there ?
I have a similar trailer - Classic 30.

I bought mine used and the previous owner had a class IV hitch on the rear of the trailer and so it really dragged easily.

Since I had no need for the hitch - and heard it was a bad thing to use anyway, I cut it off with an angle grinder.

When I did so, I left the vertical steel "Hangers" for the hitch beam that are welded to the trailer's frame in place. I cut them off at a height such that
they would "just" be the first thing to hit down when the trailer tail drags.

I know AS don't recommend rollers or anything on the tail, but still, I thought these "skegs" sticking down would be better than having the bumper drawer assembly hitting first.

Of course at gas station exits where there is a steep incline to the road, I always try to cross on the diagonal anyway & that helps a lot.

I think if I was faced with a situation where I knew in advance that it was almost sure the trailer would drag, then if I absolutely could not avoid the route, I would take the tension off the equalizing bars and presumeably that would raise the rear a bit.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Vlamica,
Thanks for the response. I live on the Missouri river bottoms in SW Iowa so my own driveway is not the problem. I have an occasional "drag" at some gas stations as my wife and I head to FL in the winter months. I try to watch and avoid such places, but sometimes just get an unexpected whoop-de-doo. Can, or should, anything be done to the trailer or are these short frame members actually the drag protection ?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
My black tank is in the rear and it has frame extenders to protect it. Those are what drag on the ground on mine. As long as your not doing damage to your bumper I would let the frame take the hits. It won't hurt it... (well maybe some scrapes)

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Thanks to all who have responded. These are good tips. I think I'll leave well enough alone ! The frame extenders or whatever the tech name is should be enough protection. Many times a person can do more harm by modifying something that really does not need it !!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are using a WD hitch try not setting the hitch till you leave the drive. A short tow to the street will not hurt anything and may just get you on the road.

If you do install the wheel don't make the mistake that most do. Install them so they do not stick down below the line from the bumper to the bottom of the rear wheel more than a 1/2 in. Most install them so they stick down 2 or 3 ins. and then have then hit at every railroad crossing.

My 34 fter. has factory install scrape bars. Every time I get on or off a Canadian ferry, they tend to have a 30 degree ramp, I drag the the ramp and have even seen the wheel hanging

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote