Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Tacoma and Bambi

Anyone tow a Bambi (16 or 19) with a V6 Tacoma with 4x4 and factory tow package? Curious as to your general observation. (Not interested in a 3/4 diesel so please...).
Thank you.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tacoma and Bambi

Since I tow a 2007 22 foot International CCD with a similar vehicle and a ProPride hitch setup, I will note only that it requires some patience on long upgrades in the mountains, but in my case at least, it stops, goes, and steers just fine.

Let the flames begin...

I’m driving a 2012 Crew Cab Tacoma 4x4 in case you are reading this in the phone app.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Thanks man.

I don’t need to set any land speed records or conquer the Rockies. Just want to get out in the woods with the dog.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just like most 4x4 trucks, the center of gravity is a bit high. That does not mean it won't do the job, it's just not the best solution. So take care and tune your lash-up for best stability. Use sway control to improve directional stability. Test your stability before an emergency presents itself to you. The best stability upgrade is a downgrade in speed. Just because you can pull it quickly does not mean that tactic is safe if you get cut off and have to quickly change direction to avoid an accident. The newer Tacomas are better (at least they look wider) than the older ones, so there is that. If you don't use it off road, shorter tires would help with stability. Certainly don't do a lift. It is important to understand what you have and use it appropriately. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Tacoma and Bambi

Since 2008 Tacoma is both much lower and wider. Much more stable than the older ones.

Our 2012 Tacoma 4x4 short bed CrewMax is no more than 1” taller than our non 4x4 2008 CrewMax which was a long bed. Both drive very smoothly hauling the same trailer in both cases.

In any way it’s not a sports car. You can’t drive it like one and expect to stay upright.

That said, some heavy swerve, brake and steer maneuvering has been very stable with both of them. I attribute a lot of that to proper hitch setup, correct trailer loading, and defensive driving at reasonable speeds.

The ProPride hitch system makes it even more stable uphill, downhill, being passed by big rigs, and in the wind compared to a WD-only hitch.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Go you find the rear end sag acceptable? That’s a pretty heavy little unit. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Since I tow a 2007 22 foot International CCD with a similar vehicle and a ProPride hitch setup, I will note only that it requires some patience on long upgrades in the mountains, but in my case at least, it stops, goes, and steers just fine.

Let the flames begin...

I’m driving a 2012 Crew Cab Tacoma 4x4 in case you are reading this in the phone app.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Tacoma and Bambi

I didn’t have a rear end sag issue—at least not on the tow vehicle [emoji39].

I adjust the WD bars to get sufficient front end weight to get the front axle planted, not porpoising, and steering properly. This varies a little bit depending on the load in the trailer and truck bed. The ProPride has jacks that allow very fine adjustments.

Once I hit the sweet spot between 6 1/2 to 8 inches on the WD jacks, it handles beautifully, even in panic stops in downtown Phoenix, which is NOT my favorite place to be in rush hour traffic. Have had smoke from all eight tires in that place and time, so I avoid it. Terrible traffic and worse drivers. The rig, however, handled it perfectly.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I have a 2016 SR5, V-6, 4x4 towing a FC20 using a Reese Dual Cam Straightline hitch and it all makes for a good stable ride. Get a good WD hitch, get over to the CAT scales and dial in 100% FALR. I did it the hard way by trial and error, using more WD, less WD and when I finally thought I had it towing as good as I could I hit the scales again and I was within 20 lbs. of exactly 100% FALR, which is what Toyota recommends.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote