Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Sway Control Systems

A weight distribution system hitch is off limits for the 2017 Audi Q7. From the owners manual; never install a "weight distributing" or "load equalizing" trailer hitch on your vehicle. The vehicle was not designed for these kinds of trailer hitches. The hitch attachment can fail, causing the trailer to tear loose from the vehicle. The Audi Q7 has a towing capacity of 7700 pounds and the factory installed hitch is rated for 770 pounds. We plan to tow a 23FB with our SUV. Bear with me, somewhat of a newbie here. Is a dependent, 2-point sway control hitch a weight distribution system? Considering using the Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control.
Mikeith84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yes
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Exclamation

Be careful of your new car warranty.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are many hitch systems out there that integrate a friction based sway control into the end connections of the torsion bars. The torsion bars provide the weight distribution, and the sliding connection at the end provides the friction for sway damping. You can get a very simple friction anti-sway device that can be used without weight distribution.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
I'm sure others well shun me for this but I don't care, you may not need any sway control. Our trailers are some of the best and most balanced trailers on the market. Just be sure everything is setup well and balanced and it well do great.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some misguided person may tell him he doesn't need a brake controller or breakaway switch either because his tv brakes are so good.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
We had a 2015 FC 23FB that we towed with a 2015 Jeep GC with the 3.6L. It had an Equalizer W/D hitch and IMHO it definitely was needed for both the W/D and anti-sway. Just FYI, around here in the Blue Ridge Mountains the Jeep's 3.6L was underpowered.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Sway control is probably a good idea. What this tells me is that VAG doesn't have much confidence in the strength of your hitch attachment. Weight distribution hitches put a lot of strain on the hitch attachment. I would suggest you add up the weight of the people and stuff you plan to put in your vehicle together with 770 lbs of tongue weight to make sure you're within the rated cargo capacity of your vehicle. I also would seriously consider getting your hitch reinforced by someone who knows what they're doing. For anyone driving less than a 1-ton truck as a tow vehicle, weight distribution is a good thing.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
I'm sure others well shun me for this but I don't care, you may not need any sway control. Our trailers are some of the best and most balanced trailers on the market. Just be sure everything is setup well and balanced and it well do great.
The previous owners of my trailer had no sway control. The tongue had never been drilled for one. It worked for 20 years for them. When I bought it last year, I put one on though.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You should apply properly calibrated weight distribution even with air suspension. Your owners manual was written by Germans who tow caravans with significantly less tongue weight. In America with 10-15% tongue weight you'll soon overload the rear axle weight rating.

For what it is worth I like the equalizer hitch - 2 birds with one stone - weight distribution and sway control In a Simple setup
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Yikes! What some dealers will do. A guy came in to the storage building while I was doing some chores on my AS. He was pulling a new 34' trailer with a new F250. The truck was down at the rear.

The attendant helped him unhitch. Then came over, and said that the bars on the WDH had no tension. The anti sway bar was also locked down. The attendant said that he knew that was not the way I did it, and asked why. He then went over to the guy and asked who set up his trailer. He said the dealer. He knew how particular I was, so told him to ask me. The guy came over and told me how the dealer had demonstrated to hook his rig up. He asked if I thought it was OK. I just told him that is not the way I do it. He said that he would be leaving for Maine, and if I would help him get it set up. I asked when he would be leaving for Maine. He said, "tomorrow Morning".

So, I dropped everything and said we will have to do it now. With the caveat that it was only how I would do it, but it is his rig and responsibility. He said that's understood. We went to work. We got the bars tensioned, set the sway control bar, and checked for proper tire pressures. The truck and trailer were level. The attendant said since he would be leaving early in the morning that he could leave the rig hitched. I gave him my contact info so he could keep me informed of progress or problems.

He made it to Stauntan VA the first night. Sent me a message that it was towing much improved. Next I heard he was in Maine with no problems. It was scary setting up someone's rig, but in this case I couldn't let him on the road with a long, heavy trailer like that. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Still have to complete the chores on my AS.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeith84 View Post
A weight distribution system hitch is off limits for the 2017 Audi Q7. From the owners manual; never install a "weight distributing" or "load equalizing" trailer hitch on your vehicle. The vehicle was not designed for these kinds of trailer hitches. The hitch attachment can fail, causing the trailer to tear loose from the vehicle. The Audi Q7 has a towing capacity of 7700 pounds and the factory installed hitch is rated for 770 pounds. We plan to tow a 23FB with our SUV. Bear with me, somewhat of a newbie here. Is a dependent, 2-point sway control hitch a weight distribution system? Considering using the Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control.
This is an interesting thread. If the manufacturer says not to use a weight distributing system then I would hesitate in doing so. I would certainly check to see if it voids your warranty. Secondly, I believe that the Reese Dual Cam IS a weight distributing hitch. Hopefully someone who has a one will chime in with the correct answer.

You can add a sway bar to a hitch that is not weight distributing. This might be the way to go. Ask here and people will give you some options. Again, just because many of us use WD hitches, that doesn't sound like the way you should go.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

You should rely on your car dealer - or a dealer - for information on towing with your vehicle and you should read all the product information. Owner's manual says no WD hitch, then don't get one, but ask about alternatives using the specs that come with your trailer. The Reese Dual Cam that you mention provides sway control but is designed to work with weight distribution hitches according to the product information. I tow a 19ft without sway control or weight distribution, but that doesn't mean that it'll work for someone else's TV. Go to a reputable car dealer or trailer dealer in your area and get help.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
You should rely on your car dealer - or a dealer - for information on towing.

Strongly disagree. Car dealers in general don't have a clue about towing dynamics or how to correctly configure a car/trailer combo. Seek advice from a towing expert such as Andy and team at CanAm... even rv dealers are hit and miss on correct tow vehicle / trailer configuration.

Be safe!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sway Control Systems

The only guy at my dealership that knows anything about towing is the technician that has a similar setup to mine. Him, I trust. The rest of the sales droids, I don't even ask. The service writer I trust, because he's smart enough to ask the same technician.

If I'm prepping to go on a trip, I call my buddy the service writer to be sure the tech we both trust is working the day I plan to come in, or I reschedule.

Thousands of miles of towing with no issue because of these guys. Priceless.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Aftermath has it correct. If the manufacturer states no WD, then no WD. (Without significant modifications)The vehicle wasn't designed for it. The vehicle probably is unibody construction therefore the hitch isn't attached to a frame, but merely the body.
Yes the dual cam is a WD system, that's what I have.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #17
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Personally, I believe Audi aka Volkswagen does not want the liability of you towing a large trailer. They already have enough liability issues with their diesel pollution issue with the US.
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote