Old 10-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Sway control only?

My wife and I are looking at a new FC30. We have a '18 Ford F-350 CC LB Dually. Towing is not an issue. Not sure weight distribution is required with a 5300lb payload rating. Dealer said he would still put sway control on because of the length. That's fine, but I don't see any anti sway bars that don't attach to a regular wight distributing hitch set up. Can someone point me to what he may be talking about wth say control only, no WD hitch? Thanks.

lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Practically speaking, proper sway control is only really available with a WD hitch. Having the truck properly balanced isn't going to hurt anything and it will improve the ride a bit. Without WD, you will be pulling weight off of the front axle, that's not the best thing to do if you want to maintain control ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
My wife and I are looking at a new FC30. We have a '18 Ford F-350 CC LB Dually. Towing is not an issue. Not sure weight distribution is required with a 5300lb payload rating. Dealer said he would still put sway control on because of the length. That's fine, but I don't see any anti sway bars that don't attach to a regular wight distributing hitch set up. Can someone point me to what he may be talking about wth say control only, no WD hitch? Thanks.
Husky, as an inexpensive example, has a WD hitch head to which you can mount small balls. Similar sized balls are mounted on the a-frame and then the anti-sway bars are mounted to them. You don't need to use the WD bars.

Name:   Sway-Control-34715S-300.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  15.5 KB

Equalizer is a popular WD hitch, but the anti-sway is incorporated into the WD bars. Not what you need.

You could also invest in a 3P (Hensley) type hitch for sway control and you wouldn't need to use the WD part of that lash up either.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sway control only?

I’d be running your rig across a CAT scale to see what axle loading is on the front of the truck hitched and unhitched before believing that WD is unnecessary. Numbers don’t lie.

Dealer may be somewhat clueless, to be polite.

Getting front axle properly loaded and on the ground with enough weight is critical for proper handling. Search “three pass method” in the forums for a better explanation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
IMO-weight distribution hitches are a must when towing over 17'.
When bumper towing, you are just hanging a vehicle off of the back end and dragging it along, add WD and you have created a sprung connection between the 2 vehicles. Think of it this way-without WD the 2 vehicles act like a loose rubber band without direction wandering all over the place, with WD the 2 vehicles are bound together sharing weight characteristics like stretching out a rubber band tightly giving it a froward and rearward force trajectory, now it only wants to react in those directions. If you have a TV with rear air suspension (Suburban, Tahoe,Land and Range Rover, Cadillac) then you have to use a WD hitch.
Now add an anti-sway bar (or 2, some WD heads will have a mount for these) and once you have achieved the correct weight setting on the WD hitch to compliment your TV, now you have a great handling combo.

I won't get into which manufacturer to choose, ie., Curt, Reese, Blue OX, Propride (that has been hashed out several times in other posts, go look at those) do your homework and choose the best option for your towing style.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Your F350 may be able to handle the tongue weight, but will tow much better if you use a properly adjusted WD /sway control hitch. They are fairly quick and easy to hitch up, and makes towing a breeze. Numerous choices, do a bit of research and pick what works for you.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I used WD when I towed my 19’ with my F350 (both now gone). The ride was much better with the WD.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Just use the lightest spring bars available. My case was #600 bars.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There is no downside to using a WD hitch.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
norco , California
I have a 2017 F350 Single Rear Wheel and tow a Flying Cloud 30. I use a Blue Ox WD/Sway setup.

No, Weight Distribution is not Necessary with your current truck. But mine tows more stable with the bars on. Truck squats a little without the WD setup, and a little bit with. But it is a smoother ride with reduced vertical movement of the truck/trailer combo.

It probably adds maybe 2 minutes to the hitch/unhitch process, so worth it if going on the freeways for anything more than a few miles.
SoCalJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #11
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’d be running your rig across a CAT scale to see what axle loading is on the front of the truck hitched and unhitched before believing that WD is unnecessary. Numbers don’t lie.

Dealer may be somewhat clueless, to be polite.

Getting front axle properly loaded and on the ground with enough weight is critical for proper handling. Search “three pass method” in the forums for a better explanation.
This ^ is what we do. We pull a 25FB with a F350 SRW using a 1000/10000 Equalizer hitch. This is a much smaller trailer than the 30', but even for us our towing is much more stable in the face of rough roads, wind, and passing trucks when we use the Equalizer.

At least once every season I do a 3-pass CAT scale calculation. Here is ours from last spring - Google Sheets link. The spreadsheet has some source links for the calculations employed. With six washers on the Equalizer we have 57% FALR. I'm going to try 7 next season and see how it feels.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Thanks everyone. Great advice.

lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote