Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruhl View Post
A bit over simplified but OK I get your point. So are you saying you do not use either WD or swaycontrol?
Neither one. My little Bambi’s axle doesn’t have any capacity to take on weight that’s well within my Tundra’s limits. I’m from the school that believes if you need WD and sway control, the TV is too small. How many use these on their little utility trailer? Would you use these if you were hauling with a semi? Also believe when your numbers called that’s it, audios my friend. So I try to live right and keep the worry to a minimum. In 20K+ miles, I’ve experienced a handful of emergency situations. The only one that required a garment change was slowing to make a sharp turn onto a forest road. I left pavement too soon and skidded pretty close to a guardrail. WD/SC wouldn’t have helped.

Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
This post and the one by Slowmover highlight people who are looking at the sway issue from a unique perspective. The sway issue is one that must consider both tow vehicle, trailer, and setup. Certainly Slowmover benefits from the Hensley design. His thumbnail shows he has a 35 (?) foot trailer.

I think you might consider which posters have trailers and tow vehicles similar to yours. They would most likely be what you would experience.
That path won’t work, given the bad choices made, on average, here, and in the rest of the RV world. It’s the wrong approach in any case.

“Unique perspective”? Hardly. It’s understanding how a WDH works, first, and what a given anti-sway design offers, second.

Trailer size doesn’t mean much. All trailers will sway under the right circumstances. A swaying Bambi will roll a one ton diesel (sooner than a lighter, smaller, better-designed TV). Why that’s so is worth the time to learn.

There’s no magic. It’s grade school physics. Books and articles can lay it out (formulas for reference only).

Did you enjoy eighth grade science class? Well, this is as easy to obtain.

LBJ was President and I wasn’t in junior high once I caught the logic of it, as both father and grandfather were interested in my attaining understanding per their different vintage kin rigs.

Don’t ask me to explain the ARRL Antenna Handbook. If I could squint hard enough to “see” those radio waves, I’d get somewhere.

A WD hitch is easily confirmed for its set up: a certified scale. And then road tests. It can all be felt at the wheel or in braking. Goals to meet. Nothing hidden or outside of the five senses.

.if the experience of driving the combined rig isn’t terribly different than when solo — despite adversities — then one “gets “ the idea.

How “good” the combined rig is, is a function of the sophistication of each component: TV, hitch, TT. Each is as important as the other. Not less, not more.

Follow the crowd around here and you get: great TT, so-so or flat bad TV, and obsolete hitch.

The info is there for those who want it.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Neither one. My little Bambi’s axle doesn’t have any capacity to take on weight that’s well within my Tundra’s limits. I’m from the school that believes if you need WD and sway control, the TV is too small. How many use these on their little utility trailer? Would you use these if you were hauling with a semi? Also believe when your numbers called that’s it, audios my friend. So I try to live right and keep the worry to a minimum. In 20K+ miles, I’ve experienced a handful of emergency situations. The only one that required a garment change was slowing to make a sharp turn onto a forest road. I left pavement too soon and skidded pretty close to a guardrail. WD/SC wouldn’t have helped.
A handful in 20k miles is far too high.

If a citation is required from a loss of control accident, it will be as it is in commercial trucking: too fast for conditions (90% of the time).

Recommend you load your TV to max payload listing for solo driving the next thirteen weeks. Tires and brakes should show no accelerated wear as a successful result.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Greg, here is my perspective on this hot topic. The first trailer I got was towed by my Toyota 4Runner with the V8 engine. I knew that I needed a good WD hitch. I wasn't really concerned about sway at the time but after reading how short a wheel base I had I decided to get a WD hitch with built in Sway control. I got an Equalizer matched to the trailer and TV. Never had a problem. I then got a 2008 Tundra and kept the hitch.

Later I moved up to my current trailer and got a heavier Equalizer. I love my Tundra but realize that the limiting issue here is payload. When I drop the trailer on the ball it will really sit down. So, I am going to say you really need a WD hitch. Why not just get one that has Sway built in at the same time? I like my Equalizer and have towed well over 50K miles using it. No issues in wind, rain and even a little snow. Gone up hills and down, in traffic and out in the open......no problems. There are many to choose from. It will probably come down to how much money are you willing to spend?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
That path won’t work, given the bad choices made, on average, here, and in the rest of the RV world. It’s the wrong approach in any case.

“Unique perspective”? Hardly. It’s understanding how a WDH works, first, and what a given anti-sway design offers, second.

Trailer size doesn’t mean much. All trailers will sway under the right circumstances. A swaying Bambi will roll a one ton diesel (sooner than a lighter, smaller, better-designed TV). Why that’s so is worth the time to learn.

There’s no magic. It’s grade school physics. Books and articles can lay it out (formulas for reference only).

Did you enjoy eighth grade science class? Well, this is as easy to obtain.

LBJ was President and I wasn’t in junior high once I caught the logic of it, as both father and grandfather were interested in my attaining understanding per their different vintage kin rigs.

Don’t ask me to explain the ARRL Antenna Handbook. If I could squint hard enough to “see” those radio waves, I’d get somewhere.

A WD hitch is easily confirmed for its set up: a certified scale. And then road tests. It can all be felt at the wheel or in braking. Goals to meet. Nothing hidden or outside of the five senses.

.if the experience of driving the combined rig isn’t terribly different than when solo — despite adversities — then one “gets “ the idea.

How “good” the combined rig is, is a function of the sophistication of each component: TV, hitch, TT. Each is as important as the other. Not less, not more.

Follow the crowd around here and you get: great TT, so-so or flat bad TV, and obsolete hitch.

The info is there for those who want it.
Not sure of your point with this post, but by now the OP probably has the idea that there are a wide range of opinions on the subject. I am not sure there are numbers to apply to those who have 1) no WD or sway control, 2)WD with some sway control or 3) the high priced hitches like Hensley or Propride, but my guess is that the bulk of the population is with WD with some sway control. I do not doubt the Hensley derivatives work very well, but the question may be, "Are they worth the money you have to pay for them?"

This question brings up value judgments, and everybody has their own opinion of worth. Some are so risk averse or have had such bad experiences that they will pay twice the asking price for a Hensley design JUST IN CASE. Others look from their experience or at stories of others and feel the cost of the Hensley/Propride is too high for the added benefit. I don't think anybody sits down to draw a free body diagram of multiple situations to analyze overturning forces when making their hitch decision.

Enjoy your hitch, Slowmover, but at least recognize that others have different opinions. If I had a 35 foot trailer, I would probably have gotten a Propride as well.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Not sure of your point with this post, but by now the OP probably has the idea that there are a wide range of opinions on the subject. I am not sure there are numbers to apply to those who have 1) no WD or sway control, 2)WD with some sway control or 3) the high priced hitches like Hensley or Propride, but my guess is that the bulk of the population is with WD with some sway control. I do not doubt the Hensley derivatives work very well, but the question may be, "Are they worth the money you have to pay for them?"

This question brings up value judgments, and everybody has their own opinion of worth. Some are so risk averse or have had such bad experiences that they will pay twice the asking price for a Hensley design JUST IN CASE. Others look from their experience or at stories of others and feel the cost of the Hensley/Propride is too high for the added benefit. I don't think anybody sits down to draw a free body diagram of multiple situations to analyze overturning forces when making their hitch decision.

Enjoy your hitch, Slowmover, but at least recognize that others have different opinions. If I had a 35 foot trailer, I would probably have gotten a Propride as well.
It’s not the size of the trailer. It’s the design.

Same is true for TV and hitch.

As the better design hitch is a fraction of the cost of either vehicle, why does money enter into it?

“Value” isn’t about money, it is about results.

When you understand that, much will clear up for you.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Another dead horse beaten

Im sure by now that Greg, being new to Airstreaming, realizes that another part of the experience is the entertainment of opening up a discussion on hitches and/or tow vehicles and watch some of the know-it-alls get spun up about their “only way to do it”.

Greg, I have a tundra crew cab, pull a 23D and use an equalizer brand hitch. The combo works very nicely. Thats a data point.

Have fun Airstreaming!

Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Im sure by now that Greg, being new to Airstreaming, realizes that another part of the experience is the entertainment of opening up a discussion on hitches and/or tow vehicles and watch some of the know-it-alls get spun up about their “only way to do it”.

Greg, I have a tundra crew cab, pull a 23D and use an equalizer brand hitch. The combo works very nicely. Thats a data point.

Have fun Airstreaming!

Jim
And he might try both experience and the details of design in his further research. Either of which would show this particular “tows nicely” has neither experience nor design to recommend it.

It’s as easy to do it right the first time.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
And he might try both experience and the details of design in his further research. Either of which would show this particular “tows nicely” has neither experience nor design to recommend it.

Really?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:

Ok. I give up. Everybody who doesn't have a Hensley or Propride is wrong.
I said my piece and the OP can make up his own mind. I am going to unsubscribe from this thread as soon as I post this, as I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns. I guess I have been on this forum long enough to know better than to respond to a post about hitches, or tow vehicles. Geeez!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Bellevue , Nebraska
This eTrailer FAQ page is very good. We used it to figure out not to overhitch our 3500 fully loaded Trailmanor with our Highlander and remembered the principals of matching our trailer and tongue weight with our hitch when we purchased our 22 FB and Equalizer from the dealer. They were initially recommending a 1000 pound Blue Ox, but when I expressed some concerns with overhitching and our Highlander’s unibody construction, their service department agreed the 600 pound Equalizer was the better option. It rides like a dream BTW with our Highlander and tomorrow we are getting it adjusted to our new Colorado. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Whoops! Forgot the link, which might be deleted. Just google weight distribution hitches and the eTrailer FAQ is one of the first few links.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightd....aspx#Choosing
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Ok. I give up. Everybody who doesn't have a Hensley or Propride is wrong.
I said my piece and the OP can make up his own mind. I am going to unsubscribe from this thread as soon as I post this, as I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns. I guess I have been on this forum long enough to know better than to respond to a post about hitches, or tow vehicles. Geeez!
I sure hope all of these Hensley sales folks are compensated adequately, as they sure seem to have plenty of time available to splash around insults to anyone that dares to not buy their personal opinion of the right hitch choice. It amazes me that every single thread ends the same way, I am certain that the Hensley crowd views it as another score...and not that they are just harming this entire category of discussions by not allowing any view point that isn't their own. I sure wish they'd take their energy to the ProPride user Facebook group instead.

SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote