Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
MARIETTA , Georgia
Sway Bars.

I have a 2018 Chevy 2500 with tow package. When we bought our 22ft BS the dealer said we did not need sway bars. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Pthorpe4080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I sure wouldn't want to be the one to tell you that you don't need them and then have you get in a situation where you did but.......I have a 17 Chevy 3500 and don't use them. Our trucks have built in trailer sway control although I don't know how effective that might be. I also know that using a WD hitch will negate the trailer sway control according to the manual and besides that with a 2500 you don't need a WD hitch. Now prepare yourself for what is coming as a response to what I have just said.

rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
MARIETTA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I sure wouldn't want to be the one to tell you that you don't need them and then have you get in a situation where you did but.......I have a 17 Chevy 3500 and don't use them. Our trucks have built in trailer sway control although I don't know how effective that might be. I also know that using a WD hitch will negate the trailer sway control according to the manual and besides that with a 2500 you don't need a WD hitch. Now prepare yourself for what is coming as a response to what I have just said.

Thanks. That’s what the Chevy dealer said and also airstream.
Appreciate the help.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Dublin , Ohio
Sway Bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthorpe4080 View Post
Thanks. That’s what the Chevy dealer said and also airstream.
Appreciate the help.

Ditto to the lack of need for a properly sized tow vehicle. WD hitches transfer weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the trailer axle(s) and the front axle of the truck. From a GAWR standpoint, as long as you don’t exceed the rated capacity, you are within the design limits of the vehicle from a durability standpoint. Further thing to consider is the axle/payload rating on the trailer: by increasing the load on the trailer axles, you are at risk of exceed their rated capacity quickly. WDH are typically used to sprinkle pixe dust on an underrated tow vehicle and turn it into something it is not. That is exactly why SAE Standard J2807 was created 10 years ago to stop the bogus tow fantasies by vehicle manufacturers. It is also why their use is either not recommended or recommended in limited scenarios by vehicle manufacturers.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled rhetoric while I go fetch some pop corn.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I presume this is in fact about tow vehicle sway bars, not weight distribution?

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
MARIETTA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
I presume this is in fact about tow vehicle sway bars, not weight distribution?

Yes Dan.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Many weigh distributing hitch set-ups include sway control as a built in feature.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The TUSON electronic trailer-mounted ant-sway is “faster” then the OEM vehicle based units. That, and anti-lock disc brakes should be standard on every AS.

The need for WDH is fairly well predicated by tongue weight. Truck hitch receiver limits. See that info.

Once you’ve loaded the vehicles for camping., stop by a CAT Scale and top off the fuel. With full fresh water and propane, cross the scale (see phone app) and then drop the trailer and weigh the truck solo. No changes. All passengers aboard. Consider this basic info (as it determines truck tire pressure). TW will be obvious from the two scale tickets.

These two additions (antisway & brakes) are what need to be understood. Kent Sunderling has a good review of the latter, and Andrew Thomson of the former.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
You don't need a weight distributing hitch, you don't need sway control, it's your decision.
We use both with our 2500.

Stream Safe

Bob
🇱🇷

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A well designed and loaded trailer coupled to a adequate TV really doesn’t need sway control. Especially when the trailer weighs equal/less than the TV. There’s a lot of “ifs” with speed being critical, but many do it. I towed a 28ft 7500lb TT for thousands of miles with just a WD hitch and no sway control.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
i would not pull any As trailer without brake controller, Sway bars and WD on the hitch

i care for me and my family.

small price to pay for peace of mind.
do you really want to find out you got wrong information some windy , wet and cold day, going down a hill with 50' transport trucks passing you.

its up to you to decide
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Dublin , Ohio
The original question was about a specific vehicle with a specific trailer. In particular, this vehicle is equipped with a VSA system manufactured by Bosch. Attached is a demonstrated video by engineering experts testing the system both engaged and disengaged. This was done at a test facility with outriggers on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

You can see the system responds in 100milliseconds to a sway input by alternately braking the individual wheels of the tow vehicles and simultaneously applying the trailer brakes. This is an integrated system that is contained on the original posters tow vehicle. To answer the original question: he neither needs a weight distributing hitch to reduce the tongue load on the tow vehicle, nor is a separate mechanical sway device required.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak2006 View Post
The original question was about a specific vehicle with a specific trailer. In particular, this vehicle is equipped with a VSA system manufactured by Bosch. Attached is a demonstrated video by engineering experts testing the system both engaged and disengaged. This was done at a test facility with outriggers on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

You can see the system responds in 100milliseconds to a sway input by alternately braking the individual wheels of the tow vehicles and simultaneously applying the trailer brakes. This is an integrated system that is contained on the original posters tow vehicle. To answer the original question: he neither needs a weight distributing hitch to reduce the tongue load on the tow vehicle, nor is a separate mechanical sway device required.
In our case, I'm more comfortable preventing sway before it starts. 👍

TETO

But maybe with no WD you need a good after the fact remedy.

BTW is that sway or skidding they are preventing, driver induced unsafe lane changes?

Bob
🇱🇷

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In our case, I'm more comfortable preventing sway before it starts.

TETO

But maybe with no WD you need a good after the fact remedy.

BTW is that sway or skidding they are preventing, driver induced unsafe lane changes?

Bob

Sway is generated when you reach the natural frequency of the coupled trailer. Unabated, it continues to increase in amplitude and ultimately can lead to a crash. An unstable system setup has many contributing factors. Two of the they issues are: insufficient tongue load, and too high of a polar moment of inertia of the trailer. The significant contributor to the polar moment of inertia is too much load aft of the axle center line. You can minimize this by loading your heavier affects either in the toe vehicle, or moving them to the front of the trailer. This achieves to objectives: 1. Increasing tongue load which improves stability; and 2. Reducing the inherent kinematic unstable high polar moment of inertia.

The problem with blindly invoking a weight distributing hitch is it masks the inherent problem. The base condition remains at the boarder line of instability. Fixating on increasing the front axle weight of the tow vehicle for stability is a crock. Depending on your specific wheelbase, a driver and passenger offset the negative piece of loss axle from the tongue load. It is a simple statics calculation.

With a properly designed trailer and correctly distributed loading, the only reason to use a weight distributing hitch is to stay within to rated Rear GAWR.

If you are driving in areas out west and encounter significant side loading due to cross-winds, a friction based sway device can limit the force causing a yaw condition in the trailer. If you “feel” the TV and trailer is “squirrelly” when you are driving on a flat level road, you probably have an incorrect loading condition.

A word of caution from what I have heard from a reputable AS source; the 23 foot trailer is marginal with tongue loading, and the tank configuration is not ideal.

The vintage airstreams are also much lighter than the post Beatrice models due to construction and features. This is one of the classic reasons people were able to tow these trailers with old cars. Plus remember, the classic car was a body on frame vehicle with a large V8.

Long winded answer, the demonstration was done on a low mu surface to enable a unstable condition with an induced input. IE: You can make almost any issue occur on ice.