Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
He is talking about the electric brake controller in the truck. It has a slide switch that applies the trailer brakes. You squeeze the control to apply trailer brakes without putting your foot on the brake pedal. It is to test the trailer brakes before starting a trip or to apply trailer brakes in an emergency.

Yes, I knew what he was talking about. We had those brakes installed on Expedition.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is it. The older ones are much heavier duty than that.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
Something like this?
Attachment 209806

Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That little lever is also used to tune the controller. You usually crank up the gain/voltage setting so that when that lever is pushed all the way that the brakes just begin to lock up. Then you back off a little. There are two types of controllers that are aftermarket. The most simple type applies the brakes at 100% with a delay after you hit the truck brakes. The more advanced type uses a g-sensor and it senses when you apply the brakes and it produces a proportional response to the trailer brakes. Some of the newer vehicles have an integrated controller than sends out a signal that is proportional to how hard you are pushing on the brakes. These are probably the best solution. I have a Techonsha PIII and I am not nuts about it. It seems that it works best when you are almost stopped. Some of this is the crappy drum brakes though.

Perry
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That little lever is also used to tune the controller. You usually crank up the gain/voltage setting so that when that lever is pushed all the way that the brakes just begin to lock up. Then you back off a little. There are two types of controllers that are aftermarket. The most simple type applies the brakes at 100% with a delay after you hit the truck brakes. The more advanced type uses a g-sensor and it senses when you apply the brakes and it produces a proportional response to the trailer brakes. Some of the newer vehicles have an integrated controller than sends out a signal that is proportional to how hard you are pushing on the brakes. These are probably the best solution. I have a Techonsha PIII and I am not nuts about it. It seems that it works best when you are almost stopped. Some of this is the crappy drum brakes though.

Perry

This is helpful. I looked and found out what we installed in the Expedition. It is Curt Venturer Brake Control,
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That brake controller is the delay type. The longer you hold the brake pedal down, the more brakes it applies. After a certain ramp time it applies 100% brakes no matter how much braking you are using. If you are a brake tapper, you will end up overheating your brakes. You can adjust the ramp time it takes to reach 100%. 100% is controlled by the max you set the brakes to during the calibration. Let's say that is 8V. So after a certain time, it will apply the brakes at that max setting which should be just below lockup. Setting the lockup can be tricky because sometimes only one wheel locks up before the others. This is a fact of life with drum brakes. Sometimes it is hard to tell when you are dragging a tire. The new radials don't make much noise when they skid. I have come close to ruining tires trying to set the max on the brake controller.

Perry