Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Suburban? 4x4 or 2x4? Max Hitch package?

Hi,

I have a 2013 International Sign. 19' just purchased.

Like to fish and my 2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 SLT does not have any ability to carry my 7' fishing poles in it. Bed is not long enough either.
I also want to put a Hobie Mirage Pro Fish kayak on the roof of my tow vehicle.

Options:
Put a bed cap and roof rack on the GMC SLT. Find a way to mount a carrier for the rods on the room rack. Problem, I use only VanStaal reels - about $700 each new. Not real excited about putting them in a roof configuration and I do not like having to break apart the reel and rod every time. Could just make a PVC carrier to keep gear all set up to grab and fish inside of a Suburban.

Thinking of trading for a used 2015 Suburban. Would like guidance from folks that actually own one, or have owned one.

Did you ever really need 4x4?
Is the Max. Trailer Tow package important to have with a 19' trailer?
I'm thinking the air ride rear axel would be a nice feature to have.
What options did you find you could not be happy without?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I got stuck once on wet grass when pulling my Airstream with a rear wheel drive truck. So my opinion is yes, 4x4 is needed if I leave the pavement while towing. But many people use 4x2 and are happy with it.
With any half ton truck there is an issue with payload if one hauls gear in the truck bed while towing. That 4,100 lb rear axle rating with the max trailering package helps. I've had two tow vehicles with the max trailer package.

I have the same issue with fishing rods as you. I need a suggestion also. So far I have carried them inside the bed cap. My 10' surf rods don't fit anywhere without taking them apart. When I went trout fishing in the mountains a few weeks ago, I arrived with a broken rod tip on my 6', with no apparent reason for the break. I'm thinking of adding a rack inside the cap.

I have a ARE cap with factory installed Yakima rails. I carry my 15' canoe on top of the bed cap.