Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Woodside , California
Storage space weight distribution

I recently purchased a 2014 25' FC FB. The only accessible outside storage space besides the bumper lid is a lockable hatch on the curb side near the front. So this is where heavy items end up- hitch, load distribution bars, water hoses, a few tools, power cables. It's also the end of the trailer where the inverter and converter live. The best indoor storage for occasionally used items like the jack is under the queen bed, also in the front. My concern/question is how to best equalize weight of stored items so more heavy items go in the rear? Is this even a problem for the items I have mentioned? I have not individually weighed these things but I'm guessing it could be between 100 and 200 pounds max in front. I'm OK on tongue weight and TV.

Thanks.
ghanesdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
When you say you are OK on tongue weight, are you basing that on Airstream's published number for you trailer, or an actual measurement?

Other people with 25FB trailers on this forum have measured tongue weights as high as 1200 pounds. My last measurement was 990 pounds (but I know it is higher now, due to some mods I have).

In our trailers, you pretty much have to have more weight from your contents in the front than in the back. There is no harm in that (within reason). We do carry some heavy-ish things in the back of the trailer: some soda in the rear-most street side bench compartment, canned goods in the other street side bench compartment, and tools in a bin that rides on the floor aft of the curb side bench. We have some bulky but not heavy items that occupy the closet.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
When you say you are OK on tongue weight, are you basing that on Airstream's published number for you trailer, or an actual measurement?

Other people with 25FB trailers on this forum have measured tongue weights as high as 1200 pounds. My last measurement was 990 pounds (but I know it is higher now, due to some mods I have).

In our trailers, you pretty much have to have more weight from your contents in the front than in the back. There is no harm in that (within reason). We do carry some heavy-ish things in the back of the trailer: some soda in the rear-most street side bench compartment, canned goods in the other street side bench compartment, and tools in a bin that rides on the floor aft of the curb side bench. We have some bulky but not heavy items that occupy the closet.
It seems like the front of the trailer always gets loaded down with too much stuff. Happened to me. I then made a spreadsheet and measured the distance of each storage area to the rear axle. Then we weighed everything that went into each storage area. The spreadsheet calculated the effect on the trailer tongue. As a result we became more aware on the trailer's weight distribution and we were able to rearrange the load to optimize the hitch weight. We were even able to eliminate the weight distribution hitch.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanesdvm View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 25' FC FB. The only accessible outside storage space besides the bumper lid is a lockable hatch on the curb side near the front. So this is where heavy items end up- hitch, load distribution bars, water hoses, a few tools, power cables. It's also the end of the trailer where the inverter and converter live. The best indoor storage for occasionally used items like the jack is under the queen bed, also in the front. My concern/question is how to best equalize weight of stored items so more heavy items go in the rear? Is this even a problem for the items I have mentioned? I have not individually weighed these things but I'm guessing it could be between 100 and 200 pounds max in front. I'm OK on tongue weight and TV.

Thanks.
Hi, remember that your hitch and spring bars won't be in your storage compartment while towing.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
When you say you are OK on tongue weight, are you basing that no on Airstream's published number for you trailer, or an actual measurement?

Exactly why we brought a 25RB Twin. Most storage, gray and black tanks, hot water heater, etc. is all behind the axles. A 25FB, fully loaded, would push many a half ton truck past its payload limits..
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote