Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Oakland , California
still searching

does anyone have any opinion about towing a 22' ccd with an '88 Ford Country Squire? It has a V8 5.0 litre engine and very few miles on it but am wondering if it will have enough power. thanks for any feedback!
sparkleplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes, it will, with a few relatively minor modifications. A transmission cooler, weight distributing hitch, brake controller, and sway control. Also, be sure to tow in "D", not O-D.
Terry
Old 11-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Tow Vehicle

I would think the Country Squire should be adequate. The famous French bicycle racer, LaTourneau, towed without a transmission cooler, weight distributing hitch, brake controller or sway control.

Lab
ChromeHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by ChromeHome
I would think the Country Squire should be adequate. The famous French bicycle racer, LaTourneau, towed without a transmission cooler, weight distributing hitch, brake controller or sway control.

Lab
The Crown Victoria, even the station wagon model, has the notorious "Detroit Ride", where if you put more than 50 pounds in the trunk, the rear bumper drags the street. A transmission cooler is highly reccommended for towing almost any trailer, and any trailer over 1000 pounds is required by law to have brakes, hence the controller for them. As far as the sway control, it is optional, but you haven't lived until you have been passed by a double-bottom semi doing 80mph on a windy day. Weee!!!
Terry
Old 11-10-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Re: Re: Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by argosy20

The Crown Victoria, ......80mph on a windy day. Weee!!!
Terry
I agree. My response was a flash back to my daughter asking why larger trailers required more towing power. She said, I thought Airstreams could be pulled by a bicycle....What's the deal?

Lab
ChromeHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I think that unless the Squire is modified specifically for towing, it's use as a tow vehicle for the 22CCD is not a very safe idea.
Modifications should be made to the rear axle ratio, cooling system, transmission cooling, trailer hitch system, and tire weight rating, possibly more.
I used to run a Ford van with teh 5.0 motor in it, which was quite a strong puller.
If the Squire uses the same engine, then it might work well combined with a low axle ratio ( high number)
Many 4x4 shops are very experienced in modifying axles for towing.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:54 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
I think that unless the Squire is modified specifically for towing, it's use as a tow vehicle for the 22CCD is not a very safe idea.
Modifications should be made to the rear axle ratio, cooling system, transmission cooling, trailer hitch system, and tire weight rating, possibly more.
I used to run a Ford van with teh 5.0 motor in it, which was quite a strong puller.
If the Squire uses the same engine, then it might work well combined with a low axle ratio ( high number)
Many 4x4 shops are very experienced in modifying axles for towing.
The engine/transmission combination is the same basic setup, the van has( or is supposed to have) a slightly different cam grind and slightly different pistons for a lower compression ratio. Which gives less hp, and a little more torque, for lugging heavy stuff around. I personally don't think he will have to alter his gear ratio, as most station wagons were equipped with a lower ratio from the factory, especially if it came with a trailering package.
Terry
Old 11-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
My 5.0 Econoline was rated to produce 120hp. But it must have had good torque, because of the way it pulled my 59 Mercedes on a uhaul car trailer.
I don't know what the gearing was on the van. The tow package it had was not factory, but aded by the PO.
I guess one would have to find out which gear set the Ford Squire actually has.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
My 5.0 Econoline was rated to produce 120hp. But it must have had good torque, because of the way it pulled my 59 Mercedes on a uhaul car trailer.
I don't know what the gearing was on the van. The tow package it had was not factory, but aded by the PO.
I guess one would have to find out which gear set the Ford Squire actually has.
Yes, at that late date in Ford's full-size station wagon offerings what should have been put on/in the car, and what really was, may be entirely two different things...

BTW, I originally found this post in the "no replies" section. I guess we are now getting some mileage out of it. I wonder if the original poster is still out there in cyberspace?
Terry
Old 11-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
It was started 11-09-03, so it's not that old.