Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Sticky Bubble Levels?

Anybody use one of those stick-on levels on the outside of your Airstream? Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seemed to work pretty good on my old trailer... and made it easy for my wife to tell me when to stop backing up onto the levelers...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I have not had very good luck with the stick-on levels. The ones with a screw hole on one side and a slot on the other side work best.

1. Back into your camp site.
2. Loosen the screw on the slotted side of the level.
3. Adjust the level until the bubble is in the center.
4. Tighten the screw.
5. Open a cold one.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have had these on our trailer for over a decade:
https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Levels-...e+levels&psc=1

I sprayed the white plastic with silver paint and used the stick-on backing to mount them on the side by the door and at the back of the trailer. Of course, you need to level the trailer completely before sticking them on. A carpenter's level is useful to check that the trailer is level.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
On my old SOB, I had little mini levels thar I stuck on both front corners of the trailer. You had to get right up to them to be useful, but they worked great. I think for next season id like to get one of the larger ones that I can see as I back the trailer onto levelers.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have one of those Hopkins levels on the front of my trailer. It is big enough for me to see the bubble from my TV when using the Anderson levelers.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:54 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just lay my smart phone on the floor of the trailer, and it tells me when it's level. No sticky things on the trailer, and no screw holes.

Don, I used to level a previous trailer in that manner, until anothe rallygoer caught me...
Old 11-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I have one on the rear, centered and one on the side, centered. Both seem to work fine. Absolute precision is not required. The circular bubble on top of the hitch jack is not enough. I use plastic leveling blocks under the wheels. Maybe not the fastest way, but I can manage with my FC27 all alone while my wife does other stuff like walk the dog. We've done 10 months of full-timing and camped lots and lots of places, many primitive and far from level.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I tried to use the jack bubble only, but I've found when lifting off the ball the rig may move 1/2" or so moving the bubble forward or back. I went with the stick ons that I had on my first rig.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have one of those Hopkins levels on the front of my trailer. It is big enough for me to see the bubble from my TV when using the Anderson levelers.

Never occurred to me that I could mount it where I could see it myself. I'm gonna see whether I can put it in view of the backup camera...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We have a single lady next to us in an older fifth wheel. She has leveled several times in the three weeks she's been here. Like others, she puts a small level in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, this is a new campground, so the rock hasn't had a lot of time (or vehicles) to settle, so it isn't surprising that she has had to level several times.

What is surprising is that she seems to think that she ought to drive up on her blocks, hook up the electric, water, and sewer, put out all her insulation, THEN go check the level. I mentioned the idea of a couple of those stick-on levels to her, and she wasn't sure how they would help. Eventually she got the idea that if she would level her rig perfectly (based on a level in the refrigerator) then she could stick on the levels showing level, and the next time she wouldn't have to go open the refrigerator door to check level. She says she has them, but I haven't seen any sign of the stick-on levels yet.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
We have a single lady next to us in an older fifth wheel. She has leveled several times in the three weeks she's been here. Like others, she puts a small level in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, this is a new campground, so the rock hasn't had a lot of time (or vehicles) to settle, so it isn't surprising that she has had to level several times.

What is surprising is that she seems to think that she ought to drive up on her blocks, hook up the electric, water, and sewer, put out all her insulation, THEN go check the level. I mentioned the idea of a couple of those stick-on levels to her, and she wasn't sure how they would help. Eventually she got the idea that if she would level her rig perfectly (based on a level in the refrigerator) then she could stick on the levels showing level, and the next time she wouldn't have to go open the refrigerator door to check level. She says she has them, but I haven't seen any sign of the stick-on levels yet.
You don't suppose she stuck them on the inside of her fridge, do you?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
She might have. She's a very capable lady, but sometimes some things just don't click. I don't know if she really got the concept of checking level BEFORE hooking everything up.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I used the sticky ones on a previous trailer. One on the end by the jack and one on the side near the front, just a step or two away from the tongue jack. They worked great.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I just lay my smart phone on the floor of the trailer, and it tells me when it's level. No sticky things on the trailer, and no screw holes.
How?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Many smart phones have a level app either as standard or a free addition. The catch is still that you have to first know where to check level in your coach, and then you have to go inside to check there.

If our future Airstream doesn't come with exterior levels I'll add them fairly quickly. As far as I'm concerned they make setting up much easier.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I tried to use the jack bubble only, but I've found when lifting off the ball the rig may move 1/2" or so moving the bubble forward or back. I went with the stick ons that I had on my first rig.
The one that came on our new AS on the Atwood jack appears to be cracked or drained. Anyway I wouldn't trust it because I can easily see that the jack flexes quite a bit as you lower or raise the trailer. When there's no weight there's a solid 1" of space between the top of the jack and the propane tanks. When under pressure they rub (there's a pad between them).
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
On my 19' Bambi, I put 2 of the little stick-on INSIDE. On the pantry door (for side to side) and the door to the cabinet under the kitchen sink (back to front). I didn't want to put anything outside.

The pantry is right at the outside door; and the sink is across from the door. Just gotta open the door and I can immediately tell where the level is (or isn't)...

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2017 Silverado LT Z71 Double Cab 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote