Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Steep Learning Curve!

Hi Everyone!

Well, despite a last minute change of plans forced because I had to work on Friday, I picked up my new darling Bambi yesterday and towed her home successfully from Winston-Salem!

By the way -- plug for "Out of Doors Mart" of Colfax, NC. They were AWESOME. Johnny in the service department came in on a Saturday to do my orientation. He was very patient, waiting while I took notes, and answering all my questions. Between my reading and the orientation, I'm feeling pretty good about the basics of most of the on board systems...

But the tow package and hitch are scaring the daylights out of me! I left it hitched up last night. I have a little VW Beetle I use for my run-around-town car, so I still have transportation. But after I parked last night I looked down at the hitch and thought, oh no way.

They installed a really good system, I think. It's a weight distribution package along with a sway bar, and I'm sure it was part of the reason why bringing the Airstream home was so easy even for a first-time-tower.

But how do I get over this learning curve???

Hayley
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
congrats.

I bet you didn't get too much work done yesterday...hehe

As to the learning, take your time. Read the manuals, watch the little videos in the Airstream bag. read lots of the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I've been a member of MANY online forums and I'd say the people and advice on this one are the ABSOLUTE best. Great people.

Enjoy.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Hayley,

Relax, you are doing great, take lots of pictures as you unhitch and read the manual. If you can find someone local that can walk you through it again then you will have it down for the next time. There has to be an AirForums member near by - there is a great rally this weekend in Hiawasse, GA - lots of them there.

The spring bars can be a little scary, but with the right methods you will be fine.

Congrats on the new Arstream and have fun on the road.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hayley, it looks intimidating, but it's actually pretty simple once you understand how it works and what each piece does.

These are some generic instructions regarding unhitching a weight distributing hitch. Reese, Draw-tite, and Equal-i-zer all have parts that are a little different, but you'll figure them out.

Park the Bambi where you want it and chock the wheels. If you have a friction sway control device, you can just pull the two pins at each ball at each end and remove it. (Loosening the friction clamp will help) Disconnect the electric cord (also known as a pigtail) from the Honda, disconnect your safety chains and breakaway switch line. At this point, other than the hitch ball, there shouldn't be anything else attached from the Honda to the trailer.

Leaving the Bambi and Honda hitched, put your jack stand under the jack, and jack up the trailer tongue until there is slack in the weight distributing bars. If you have an electric jack, this is easy. A manual jack will give you a workout. Once there's slack in the bars, remove them. They should come off easily. Jack it back down to level, and then open the ball latch. Jack the trailer back up until the trailer tongue clears the hitch ball on the Honda. Check again to make sure that your safety chains, electric cord, and breakaway switch line are clear and disconnected, and drive the Honda away.

Return and jack the Bambi back to level.

Good luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Before releasing the tension on the WD bars, count the number of links between the bars and the latch up lever. Write the number of links down in your owner's manual where you can find it next time you want to hook up.
When you want to hitch back up again, drop the coupler on the ball, latch the coupler, and raise the trailer up with the jack, then put the WD bars on. This will make it easier to raise the WD bars. Count the number of links between the WD bar and latch up lever, and make sure you have the same number as there was when you unhooked, and that they are both the same, right and left.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Don't forget to put a good hitch lock on after you have driven the Honda away from the trailer. You don't want to lose your beautiful Airstream.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The hitch system can be a bit intimidating, but understanding how it works will help you get past the curve. Knowing which type it is would help.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Before releasing the tension on the WD bars, count the number of links between the bars and the latch up lever. Write the number of links down in your owner's manual where you can find it next time you want to hook up.
I marked the correct links with zip ties.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
May need adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I marked the correct links with zip ties.
Good move, as a starter. One thing to log into your memory, the amount of tension on the bars is partially related to the tongue weight of the AS and the load in the TV. If your tongue weight increases (by adding weight to your AS like filling the fresh water tank) or as you add cargo to the TV, the tesion on the bars may be increased (by decreasing the number of links) to compensate for the change. The concept is simple, adjustment may be neccessary when making change in load to either TV or AS. I am guessing that both your TV and AS were "empty" on your drive home, once loaded for use there is a good chance there will be a need for adjustmnet.

This was the first thing I learned when I started using a WD hitch.

time
Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
The video in the bag was an actually no-kidding VIDEOCASSETTE. Wow. Retro!

No, I did not get much work done Friday at all!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
I wished I'd had the time to just go through Hiawasse on my way home. Looks like everyone had a blast! I'm getting muy excited for my first Airstream rally...

Towing the thing home I drew a lot of interest, too. I had my dinner at a Waffle House (scatter, smothered, diced, thank you very much), and folks wanted to talk about my trailer. I got a horn beep from a cute guy in a Jeep too. Looks like the trailer's working! Har har...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Wow. that is TOTALLY what I needed. Thank you SO MUCH, Roger! I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow morning before work.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
A hitch lock on the Airstream itself?? I never thought of that. Where can I purchase this wonderful device?

I have a keyed lock on the part of the hitch that stays on the truck... is this what you're referring to? Or is there something like that I can get for the Bambi?

That's what I need, more keys... this thing has more keys than a piano...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
SMART!

I think I have some yellow electrical tape around here somewhere... That's an awesome tip, thank you!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
It's made by Reece. I'm not sure the model. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I manage to screw up my courage and give it a go.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Wow. That's some more awesome information! Makes sense.

Yes, both the Honda and the Bambi were empty on the trip home. Is there some sort of formula or flow chart I could go through to tell me how I would adjust the chains correctly? Is this something you do by look or feel?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
More general questions...

So I did go out today and unplugged the pigtail. I suspected it was still drawing power from the Honda's battery, and I didn't want my truck to die. Right now, the rest of the hitch is as it was set up at the dealer. Is there any risk inherent in leaving the truck and trailer hitched for prolonged periods, such as days at a time?

For example, if you're camping somewhere you don't really need your tow vehicle, is it acceptable to leave it hitched to the trailer for simplicity's sake? Or is it wiser to unhitch even if you don't intend to drive the vehicle?

Chocks. That's genius. Now I have to find somplace to buy chocks!! And to think of all the times I flung those things around on the flightline... if given half the chance again, I'd TOTALLY pilfer a set or two!

Thanks again, everyone!

Hayley
Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHayley
More general questions...

So I did go out today and unplugged the pigtail. I suspected it was still drawing power from the Honda's battery, and I didn't want my truck to die. Right now, the rest of the hitch is as it was set up at the dealer. Is there any risk inherent in leaving the truck and trailer hitched for prolonged periods, such as days at a time?

For example, if you're camping somewhere you don't really need your tow vehicle, is it acceptable to leave it hitched to the trailer for simplicity's sake? Or is it wiser to unhitch even if you don't intend to drive the vehicle?

Chocks. That's genius. Now I have to find somplace to buy chocks!! And to think of all the times I flung those things around on the flightline... if given half the chance again, I'd TOTALLY pilfer a set or two!

Thanks again, everyone!

Hayley
If it's level at the campsite - then yes, you can leave it hooked up. But if you have to use your hitchjack to level then you may not want to lift therear of your TV up too much. As far as leaving it hitched for a while - no issue there. Most generally unhitch but again, it all depends on how long you are there. Went 4 days (others probably alot more) without unhitching - 4 nights of long distance travel before we got to where we were going.

Chocks are a special topic around here - you will get lots of advice. I use the cheepies from Walmart but will soon get the integratd tyoe to use with my LinxLevel blocks so I can level and chock all in one. Many just use various thicknesses of wood as level blocks - you can do that too, it works great and that's is what I use here at home in the drive - the plastic blocks degrade in the sun, wood is cheap or free.

Flightline - what do you do again? What is it with Airstreams and Pilots?

BTW - good idea unplugging from the TV when stopped for a while - battery drain is a possibility.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Well, despite a last minute change of plans forced because I had to work on Friday, I picked up my new darling Bambi yesterday and towed her home successfully from Winston-Salem!

By the way -- plug for "Out of Doors Mart" of Colfax, NC. They were AWESOME. Johnny in the service department came in on a Saturday to do my orientation. He was very patient, waiting while I took notes, and answering all my questions. Between my reading and the orientation, I'm feeling pretty good about the basics of most of the on board systems...
I concur. I bought my AS from them a little over two years ago. Two years and 8 days to be exact. They were great. I spent the night in the lot and operated everything. Couple of minor squaks. They took care of them and I headed home the next day.

Quote:
They installed a really good system, I think. It's a weight distribution package along with a sway bar, and I'm sure it was part of the reason why bringing the Airstream home was so easy even for a first-time-tower.

But how do I get over this learning curve???

Hayley
Take a picture of the setup. Then un hook hook and up hook. Make sure you chock the trailer! Practice backing in you driveway. Makethe neighbors wonder.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Wow. That's some more awesome information! Makes sense.

Yes, both the Honda and the Bambi were empty on the trip home. Is there some sort of formula or flow chart I could go through to tell me how I would adjust the chains correctly? Is this something you do by look or feel?
Take a look and the trailer and truck when loaded. They should both be level. Neigher high or low in the middle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote