Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
It's made by Reece. I'm not sure the model. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I manage to screw up my courage and give it a go.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Wow. That's some more awesome information! Makes sense.

Yes, both the Honda and the Bambi were empty on the trip home. Is there some sort of formula or flow chart I could go through to tell me how I would adjust the chains correctly? Is this something you do by look or feel?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
More general questions...

So I did go out today and unplugged the pigtail. I suspected it was still drawing power from the Honda's battery, and I didn't want my truck to die. Right now, the rest of the hitch is as it was set up at the dealer. Is there any risk inherent in leaving the truck and trailer hitched for prolonged periods, such as days at a time?

For example, if you're camping somewhere you don't really need your tow vehicle, is it acceptable to leave it hitched to the trailer for simplicity's sake? Or is it wiser to unhitch even if you don't intend to drive the vehicle?

Chocks. That's genius. Now I have to find somplace to buy chocks!! And to think of all the times I flung those things around on the flightline... if given half the chance again, I'd TOTALLY pilfer a set or two!

Thanks again, everyone!

Hayley
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHayley
More general questions...

So I did go out today and unplugged the pigtail. I suspected it was still drawing power from the Honda's battery, and I didn't want my truck to die. Right now, the rest of the hitch is as it was set up at the dealer. Is there any risk inherent in leaving the truck and trailer hitched for prolonged periods, such as days at a time?

For example, if you're camping somewhere you don't really need your tow vehicle, is it acceptable to leave it hitched to the trailer for simplicity's sake? Or is it wiser to unhitch even if you don't intend to drive the vehicle?

Chocks. That's genius. Now I have to find somplace to buy chocks!! And to think of all the times I flung those things around on the flightline... if given half the chance again, I'd TOTALLY pilfer a set or two!

Thanks again, everyone!

Hayley
If it's level at the campsite - then yes, you can leave it hooked up. But if you have to use your hitchjack to level then you may not want to lift therear of your TV up too much. As far as leaving it hitched for a while - no issue there. Most generally unhitch but again, it all depends on how long you are there. Went 4 days (others probably alot more) without unhitching - 4 nights of long distance travel before we got to where we were going.

Chocks are a special topic around here - you will get lots of advice. I use the cheepies from Walmart but will soon get the integratd tyoe to use with my LinxLevel blocks so I can level and chock all in one. Many just use various thicknesses of wood as level blocks - you can do that too, it works great and that's is what I use here at home in the drive - the plastic blocks degrade in the sun, wood is cheap or free.

Flightline - what do you do again? What is it with Airstreams and Pilots?

BTW - good idea unplugging from the TV when stopped for a while - battery drain is a possibility.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Well, despite a last minute change of plans forced because I had to work on Friday, I picked up my new darling Bambi yesterday and towed her home successfully from Winston-Salem!

By the way -- plug for "Out of Doors Mart" of Colfax, NC. They were AWESOME. Johnny in the service department came in on a Saturday to do my orientation. He was very patient, waiting while I took notes, and answering all my questions. Between my reading and the orientation, I'm feeling pretty good about the basics of most of the on board systems...
I concur. I bought my AS from them a little over two years ago. Two years and 8 days to be exact. They were great. I spent the night in the lot and operated everything. Couple of minor squaks. They took care of them and I headed home the next day.

Quote:
They installed a really good system, I think. It's a weight distribution package along with a sway bar, and I'm sure it was part of the reason why bringing the Airstream home was so easy even for a first-time-tower.

But how do I get over this learning curve???

Hayley
Take a picture of the setup. Then un hook hook and up hook. Make sure you chock the trailer! Practice backing in you driveway. Makethe neighbors wonder.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Wow. That's some more awesome information! Makes sense.

Yes, both the Honda and the Bambi were empty on the trip home. Is there some sort of formula or flow chart I could go through to tell me how I would adjust the chains correctly? Is this something you do by look or feel?
Take a look and the trailer and truck when loaded. They should both be level. Neigher high or low in the middle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
It's like bike-riding when you were a kid: at first it seems near impossible but the more you do it (hitch the trailer, make wide turns, back it into the driveway, REBUILD THE BATHROOM ;-) the easier it gets...just relax and do it as often as possible.. when I bought my rig last Oct. I had never towed anything, ever, not a boat or u-haul or anything. Sometimes you gotta just jump in the deep end and dog paddle your way to the crawl... enjoy it!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
So, you drive the Airstream up onto wood blocks for levelling purposes? Dang, that's clever. Uh, you guys rock. I'm getting the equivalent of years of experience here in the space of days!

Grr -- I'm not a pilot! I just smack the pilots when they misbehave. I'm active duty Navy and an enlisted aircrewman. My regular airframe is P-3's, a.k.a. "the Pig." I just finished a looooong stint for OIF/OEF over "there", and the Honda/Airstream where my present to myself with my war booty.