Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 101
Though I was reluctant to make the switch from the Highlander to the 150, and did so dragging my feet (actually my wife wanted us to have the truck), it is great, even without the AS, which is 75%+ of the time. It is quite comfortable and rides nice, but still love the Highlander.
__________________

LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:40 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
Though I was reluctant to make the switch from the Highlander to the 150, and did so dragging my feet (actually my wife wanted us to have the truck), it is great, even without the AS, which is 75%+ of the time. It is quite comfortable and rides nice, but still love the Highlander.
It is hard to beat the Highlander for comfort traveling, but it has limitations towing a bigger vehicle, so unless you keep the Highlander for a daily driver, you could get a smaller trailer initially, and risk needing to upgrade both the TV and trailer at the same time... or get the bigger trailer and upgrade the tow vehicle when it is time. (some find the 16 adequate, but i think they are a minority). My wife and I have a 22 Safari (no pets) and we find it just adequate for our needs but could not survive a smaller trailer. We like the rear kitchen space, so it would be tough to give it up, even for more room and twin beds.

If you are still working, I would recommend to most folks in a situation like this to get the bigger trailer and upgrade the TV down the road (put some serious money into a good WD hitch.) I bought my trailer three years before I retired and didn't get many nights in the trailer for the first couple of years. After I retired, I got 80 nights in the trailer and tripled my tow mileage. In my case I upgraded the tow vehicle right away after I bought the trailer, but only because the full sized Bronco I had sported an awfully short wheelbase.
__________________

Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Burlington , Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
It is hard to beat the Highlander for comfort traveling, but it has limitations towing a bigger vehicle, so unless you keep the Highlander for a daily driver, you could get a smaller trailer initially, and risk needing to upgrade both the TV and trailer at the same time... or get the bigger trailer and upgrade the tow vehicle when it is time. (some find the 16 adequate, but i think they are a minority). My wife and I have a 22 Safari (no pets) and we find it just adequate for our needs but could not survive a smaller trailer. We like the rear kitchen space, so it would be tough to give it up, even for more room and twin beds.

If you are still working, I would recommend to most folks in a situation like this to get the bigger trailer and upgrade the TV down the road (put some serious money into a good WD hitch.) I bought my trailer three years before I retired and didn't get many nights in the trailer for the first couple of years. After I retired, I got 80 nights in the trailer and tripled my tow mileage. In my case I upgraded the tow vehicle right away after I bought the trailer, but only because the full sized Bronco I had sported an awfully short wheelbase.
Thanks Silver Sanctuary.
There are always trade offs to consider.
You have put it all together & made it easy to think about with excellent advice.

After feedback and a quick review in the archives. It appears that the majority do move on from a 16ft. You look at the profile info on the left and it seems they now have a larger trailer from their initial 16ft trailer.

I also have a fairly large dog (afghan sight hound) which I overlooked...to consider.

I don't want to have false economies, but being I only purchased my Highlander a few years ago, I prefer not to swap it out. Also thinking, the 22 sport with Highlander set up could be fairly economical to tow, store & maintain.
Possibly not the ideal set up, not sure, but seems to work for some so worth trying it out to see for myself.
I looked at used units online, but the pricing (or they are in poor condition) is so close to new that it does not seem the value is there.
OldExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Burlington , Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Last thoughts...thinking, ultimately the sweet spot may be a bit longer than 22ft.
Will need to try to see.
Maybe postpone purchase, to get the right fit: trailer & matching TV
OldExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 57
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldExplorer View Post
Last thoughts...thinking, ultimately the sweet spot may be a bit longer than 22ft.

Will need to try to see.

Maybe postpone purchase, to get the right fit: trailer & matching TV

It’s best to get the trailer you want, though you won’t be able to tow a 23+ with the highlander.

Also, I’m not sure where in VT you live, but I wouldn’t classify either side of rt. 4 around Rutland as “rolling hills” that particular area of the state rivals anything you will find out west.
mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Burlington , Vermont
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
It’s best to get the trailer you want, though you won’t be able to tow a 23+ with the highlander.

Also, I’m not sure where in VT you live, but I wouldn’t classify either side of rt. 4 around Rutland as “rolling hills” that particular area of the state rivals anything you will find out west.
True.
I'll need to revise what I drive if I go longer.
Better to buy once if possible.
Used if going longer.

Yes can be hilly 😀 Overlooked a few spots.
OldExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 164
Highlander as TV

I just came across this thread and a couple of things stood out to me. People have mentioned a 19' or 20' would be the highest they would recommend with the Highlander ( XLE 5,000 lbs tow rating) but ironically the 22' Sport has a lower base weight and hitch weight than the 19' Flying Cloud. The 19 footer would definitely be close to maxing out the Highlander (especially the hitch weight) but I would think the 22' much less so.
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,713
the 22 FB is only 7.5 feet wide, most other are 8 - 8.5 feet

thus the 22fb is much easier to tow than models that are smaller and lighter, but wider
__________________

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
22FB Sport :: 2012 Airstream Sport Bonita Airstream Registry Discussions 0 03-29-2017 03:23 PM
Airstream Sport 22fb :: 2013 Airstream Sport 22 fb boomerang1 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 07-21-2012 08:23 PM
Toyota Highlander as a tow vehicle? hellonewman! Tow Vehicles 6 07-13-2007 08:59 PM
Towing an Airstream with a Highlander Hybrid ljmiii Tow Vehicles 57 03-22-2007 01:28 PM
Towing With Highlander TLMILLER Member Introductions 21 10-17-2006 11:56 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.