Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I had a front hitch receiver installed on my pickup a couple of years ago, and it's great! It is much easier to get the Airstream into a tight place with that than it is to back it in. Cost was quite reasonable--under $300, as I remember.

mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Greetings Mike …..Welcome, Congrats

I am in Chatham. Went to High School in Summit. We could meet up and exchange telephone numbers, in case you need help on something.

I have the same problem. A bit of a busy street AND my driveway goes downhill. I pull over…wait for a lull in traffic and back down in. I suggest going over to the High School on the weekend and practice backing up. Here are some tips on backing up.

#1 Go slow

#2 A little turn of the steering wheel goes a long way.

#3 The direction of the bottom of the steering wheel determines which way the trailer will turn

#4 Not REALLY important…but if you can…try not to stop. You won't always be able to back up without stopping. But I lose my hand to eye to trailer coordination when I stop.

When are you expecting delivery ? ( from Colonial I guess )

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the the 27FB Pendleton model has a tongue weight of 923 pounds per the Airstream literature. The Airstream literature tongue weights have historically been understated and after loading, this model could easily approach 1,100 pounds. The GVW is 7,800 pounds with the base (no options or water) weight of 6,523 pounds.

This is mentioned because front mounted hitches do NOT have the same load capacity or trailer capacity as rear hitches. The highest rated Curt front hitch I installed on my 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 HD is rated 500 pounds tongue weight and a 5,000 pound trailer. The rear mounted Curt hitch is rated 2,550 pounds and a 17,000 pounds trailer.

One would need to do some real homework before loading the front end of the tow vehicle with nearly twice the rating of the hitch. Substantial damage could also be done to the tow vehicle front suspension if the axle is not rated high enough that there is still capacity to handle the proposed tongue weight.

Good luck with the new trailer. In the literature, its looks really beautiful. Welcome to the forums.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #18
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
We should do a local meetup. I'm in Basking Ridge and one of my neighbors also has an Airstream. That's at least 4 of us.

And yes, my road is a bit congested but people give a 30' trailer a pretty wide berth - for the most part. I try to pick times to get home that I know will be less congested than other times.
living.somewhere.yonder | Early stages of Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Just thinking out loud. I've used car dollies to move cars around. They are basically casters that go under the tires and then you can push the car around as you need to. Would be a hassle to jack the trailer each time, and you would have to be on a level surface. But they would definitely allow you to move the trailer once you had the tongue fixed to something to push it around. Gravel wouldn't be good either. Mike

Mike S. is online now   Reply With Quote