Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Smallest Towing car

At about 4,000 pounds, a Chrysler 300 is not really a small car.

Just sayin...

By the way, why did you drag Jesus into this thread?

And I would say if a person has logged a 100,000 safe miles towing with a Chrysler 300 it DOES say something. Actual experience always matters.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
The Chrysler 300 is grossly-undersized for that load. It doesn't matter what tweaks you make to it, unless you sprinkle 700+ lbs. of fairy dust onto it, you'll still have a grossly-undersized tow vehicle.

Just because you CAN tow with it doesn't mean that you should. Just because you've logged 100,000 miles with it doesn't mean that it is a safe combination to tow.

When I see a miraculous image of Jesus in my morning toast, it doesn't mean that he is real. The onus for proving the legitimacy of these mods lies with those who recommend them. Where is the statistical evidence? Why are there only a handful of happy owners who tout the divine nature of this solution?

The article above claims that an engineer from Chrysler said, "“There is not enough profit in a car like this to take a gamble on a tow rating.” To some that means that it can easily be modified to tow huge loads. To others that means that screwing with the towing capabilities is "a gamble."
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, Airrogant.

However, I'd suggest that a published article in a mainstream RV journal is considerably more evidence of the Chrysler's suitability to tow an Airstream than you have offered to support your statement that it isn't.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
And I would say if a person has logged a 100,000 safe miles towing with a Chrysler 300 it DOES say something. Actual experience always matters.
One person, or a handful of people for that matter, are statistically meaningless. You cannot draw any viable conclusion from a sample size that small.

Ford sells 70,000 F150's per MONTH. A significant portion of those are used for towing. That's a meaningful sized sample which you can draw valid conclusions on.

I understand some people might think that statistics is meaningless (similar to automobile design). To those folks, please ignore this post.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #116
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
The article above claims that an engineer from Chrysler said, "“There is not enough profit in a car like this to take a gamble on a tow rating.” To some that means that it can easily be modified to tow huge loads. To others that means that screwing with the towing capabilities is "a gamble."
To an engineer who has led teams doing automotive product development, it means that the gamble is whether the cost of doing all of the development and testing work will provide an economic return due to increased new vehicle sales volumes.

Fortunately there are aftermarket providers who do that development and testing, for those who want to consider the option.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
The Chrysler 300 is grossly-undersized for that load.
Seems to me the 300 is about the same size as this ol Chevy but with the modern technology in the 300 is would be far superior as a tow vehicle towing an Airstream.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Smallest Towing car

Does the 300 have a full frame? Probably not. The Impala did. A common car tow package of GM I know in '71 was a recommended 454 in a delta 88 or ninety eight olds my grandfather sold Serviced Chevys in Dayton and referred customers to that config. We had one too. That was when those cars had full load bearing frames .
Old 09-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The 300 is a unibody. It has a lot less overall flex than a full framed vehicle.

Advantage........ 300!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Smallest Towing car

Wayne/Steve/Doug/others, I must commend you all for your patience, endurance and professionalism with these type of threads. You all have much better tolerances than I have

I've written and deleted my reply a few times and decided against posting my original thought ...I figured I should hang around a little longer without getting tossed by a moderator

My very first post to this thread stands...I wish these topics would just get deleted because they go in circles for days and the same people (regardless of stance) post the same information/opinions/facts/rumours/speculation/experiences/expertise etc etc etc.

Perhaps going forward if the thread is asking options on traditionally smaller tow setups people that have experience can share what has worked. Those that don't have first hand experience with a properly tuned small setup (and just have opinions) can stop rehashing "gospel" and fear tactic and bite your tongues. On the other hand, if the OP is asking for advice on large trucks to tow an AS, "we" won't try to persuade them otherwise....not that I've see any of that, but I suppose it's fair to add in that stipulation

Agree to disagree and call a "truce" of sorts.

Or....let these threads get continually repeated every few weeks and we can all practice our CTRL-C, CTRL-V
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
From my cursory review of curb weights, it seems that the 300 is two or thee hundred pounds heavier than the old Impala...

I don't think most people are aware that modern cars are pretty much BRICKS..... Heavier even than many cars we used to mock as "boats".

Old 09-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Smallest Towing car

I will say what Cory cant.

Properly set up, pulling a trailer like an Airstream with well functioning brakes, there are MANY vehicles smaller than an F350 that will make capable and safe tow vehicles, Chrysler 300 among them.

If a person is so stuck on needing a F250. " for safety" why do they tow a tongue mount trailer at all when everyone knows that fifth wheels are intrinsically safer?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #123
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Does the 300 have a full frame? Probably not. The Impala did. A common car tow package of GM I know in '71 was a recommended 454 in a delta 88 or ninety eight olds my grandfather sold Serviced Chevys in Dayton and referred customers to that config. We had one too. That was when those cars had full load bearing frames .
Not a ladder frame, but a unibody frame. Much stronger in torsion and bending, two characteristics that help improve handling.

I remember putting vehicles like the 1971 Impala or 98 up on a single post hoist in the shop. We unlatched all the doors half way so that when we lifted it the doors didn't stretch out of adjustment as the frame sagged. Not a problem with a modern unibody of the same weight and length.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Smallest Towing car

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I will say what Cory cant.

Properly set up, pulling a trailer like an Airstream with well functioning brakes, there are MANY vehicles smaller than an F350 that will make capable and safe tow vehicles, Chrysler 300 among them.

If a person is so stuck on needing a F250. " for safety" why do they tow a tongue mount trailer at all when everyone knows that fifth wheels are intrinsically safer?

To be honest, i could have probably said something similar, perhaps not so well, but essentially the same . IMO, this has been said probably 25 times in this thread from various people in various ways.....the problem is that it doesn't sink in/not believed/dismissed/ignored etc.

What I was GOING to say was much different
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And so it goes. Give experience, examples, reasoning how a towing vehicle may be evaluated on specific qualities rather than bigness and it will be denied, foolishly ridiculed, and threatened with unsubstantiated legalities and lawsuits.

But there are things to learn for those who might find it useful.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Smallest Towing car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
To be honest, i could have probably said something similar..........

.....What I was GOING to say was much different

I started out to be more condescending, but by the time I got done typing I found That I made my point without doing so....

There is nothing mystic about making a stable tow rig, it is just a matter of insuring a few fundamentals. These fundamentals can be addressed in any number of different ways when a thinking person applies knowledge, and this knowledge is proven and fine tuned in experience and application.

Usually,,,, in a case like this, the folks saying something that is clearly being done "cant be done", is because of one of three reasons;

A. - Said by people who have never tried.

B. - Tried, but not tried properly.

C. - They see it is being done but they just don't like it.

In this case I think "A" and "C" are the main driver of comments on this thread.