Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Nobody is trying to change your mind, but stop spewing your senseless rhetoric.
It reads to me like you should take a deep cleansing breath, and get that big twist out of your knickers.
__________________

__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #156
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Tires
Steering
Brakes

These, and their subsets are the fundamentals that must be dealt with to make a safe towing rig.

These CAN BE dealt with in Airstream land without resorting to a dedicated 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

I state this as FACT. Anyone disagree?
Yes I disagree.
__________________

__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #157
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Smallest Towing car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Yes I disagree.

So you need a 3/4 ton truck to tow your 16' trailer then?

My brother in law tows a 14,000 lb SOB fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton, what size truck does he need?
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #158
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Disagree with me?

Then tell me in so many words, what most makes a Chrysler 300 incapable of being made a safe tow vehicle?

???
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #159
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
So you need a 3/4 ton truck to tow your 16' trailer then?

My brother in law tows a 14,000 lb SOB fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton, what size truck does he need?
No you don't need a 3/4 ton truck to tow a 16' AS trailer.

I don't know what size truck he needs. However, if you both usually see things alike I would feel pretty confident SWAGGING that his truck is undersized.
__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #160
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Smallest Towing car

Do you suppose a Chrysler 300 would work for pulling a 16' Airstream trailer?

I think it would.

What if I said my half ton 4wd truck does a great job of pulling my 31 ' Airstream?

Would my statement hold water?
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
A Chrysler 300 can pull a modern-day 16' AS trailer assuming that both vehicles are in excellent operating condition. However, it shouldn't ever be used for that purpose.

A 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup can pull a modern-day 31' AS trailer assuming that both vehicles are in excellent operating condition. You'll have to give me more information regarding trailer weight, tow vehicle weight, payload, tongue weight, how many people are going to be in the truck, how much they weigh, how much luggage and other cargo they are carrying, etc. for me to say with certainty that driving this combo is either a good or a bad idea.
__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #162
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,429
Images: 8
What does Chrysler say it will pull? AND what load can it bear? (tongue weight) The answers to these questions will provide your conclusion if you have settled on that vehicle.

The car is supposed to be designed to do what they say it will do. This is not only weights but cooling, gearing, etc.

Airrogant poses some good questions regarding the specs. I am beginning to believe that people don't like the specs but they really do matter.
__________________
WBCCI 8653/AIR 60240
2017 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast Gen 2 3.55 Platinum
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member
 
cory_can's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 359
Unsubscribe.
__________________
'15 Classic
'16 Ram 2500HD CTD 4x4 Limited w/ Air and Ramboxes
Instagram: cory_can
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member
 
Twinke58's Avatar
 
1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 352
Ok getting back to the topic can a small car tow a trailer? Yes it can if the trailer is made for a small car. I had a 1972 VW bug that pulled a 300lbs pop up Apple bee trailer. Can that same car pull an airstream? No but what you do is buy the trailer 1st and get a tv that will fit the trailer right. As for a jeep to pull it yes I got one for mine but it's the an old woody jeep to pull my a/s with. And if you are wondering I did get my trailer 1st and the tv last. I was looking for what my needs are and for safety too. My trailer is a 58 Overlander 26' that my 90 jeep grand wagoneer will pull it with. I also made sure a tranny cooler was on it and all the stuff for good towing with. The lesson here is safety is the key and what is your needs for the trailer you bought 1st then the tv.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410128994.225583.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	977.2 KB
ID:	221111Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410129036.067859.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	749.0 KB
ID:	221112



Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
__________________
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #165
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 955
Hi Guys

If a larger heavier tow vehicle is always better why stop at a F350.

You can not feel the trailer even a little on this tow vehicle.

Stopping distance is loooonnnng though. Evasive handling is awful but you sure can't feel the trailer.

Andrew T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05655 - Copy.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	221124  
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #166
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 955
Unit body vehicles are considerably more expensive to design engineer and build than body on frame vehicles.

Unit body vehicles are much stronger than equivalent weight and size body on frame vehicles. On full size cars of old with body on frame construction we used to weld gussets between the frame and body to keep the frame from squishing the body mounts and tearing the trim around the bumper. The strength never came from the frame.

Andrew T
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #167
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Andrew, thanks for the info. We can learn a lot from your many years of setting up travel trailers, hitches, and tow vehicles of all kinds.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #168
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Airrogant, Andrew T. could help you as well with your Bambi's cabinet falling off the wall since you began using the 3/4 ton Suburban to tow it. Here's a few tips from him that may apply in post #35.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-124688-3.html
__________________

__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smallest towing vehicle ? youngh Tow Vehicles 14 08-29-2011 09:09 AM
lincoln town car tow car rick myer Tow Vehicles 10 03-10-2010 06:30 AM
Car Will Not Fit On Car Dolly! Chaplain Kent General Motorhome Topics 7 11-08-2006 05:46 PM
smallest airstream with seperate bedroom? tom wolseley 1974 - 1979 Safari 11 05-14-2006 12:08 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.