Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #127
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Wayne/Steve/Doug/others, I must commend you all for your patience, endurance and professionalism with these type of threads. You all have much better tolerances than I have

I've written and deleted my reply a few times and decided against posting my original thought ...I figured I should hang around a little longer without getting tossed by a moderator

My very first post to this thread stands...I wish these topics would just get deleted because they go in circles for days and the same people (regardless of stance) post the same information/opinions/facts/rumours/speculation/experiences/expertise etc etc etc.

Perhaps going forward if the thread is asking options on traditionally smaller tow setups people that have experience can share what has worked. Those that don't have first hand experience with a properly tuned small setup (and just have opinions) can stop rehashing "gospel" and fear tactic and bite your tongues. On the other hand, if the OP is asking for advice on large trucks to tow an AS, "we" won't try to persuade them otherwise....not that I've see any of that, but I suppose it's fair to add in that stipulation

Agree to disagree and call a "truce" of sorts.

Or....let these threads get continually repeated every few weeks and we can all practice our CTRL-C, CTRL-V
One of the reasons that I persist in these small TV arguments is that I don't like to see so many "you can't tow that with that", claims go unanswered, especially as they're always unsubstantiated. I understand the physics and I know it works, so why wouldn't I want to counter the naysayers?

I don't mind re-hashing the arguments, either; as Doug has said, you can still learn from them. Believe me, friends, I'm open to productive discussion and will happily be persuaded by a good, evidence based debate. The trouble is, I've yet to see any real evidence that counters the small TV argument.

To misquote dear old Maggie Thatcher (that's irony by the way) "You tow big if you want to, this Airstreamer's not for turning"
__________________

__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #128
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
By the way, why did you drag Jesus into this thread?
I was trying to bore a hole deep into the doubting minds of the terminally overloaded. I thought it might get their attention, and give them pause to really listen.

Nevertheless it is probably in poor taste. I sincerely apologize if my crude attempt at humor offended anyone.
__________________

__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
However, I'd suggest that a published article in a mainstream RV journal is considerably more evidence of the Chrysler's suitability to tow an Airstream than you have offered to support your statement that it isn't.
That "article" isn't really an article. That is an advertisement.

Wasn't someone just saying something about the car overheating? I wonder why that wasn't included in the advertisement. So the 300 really is a good car for towing UNLESS the trailer makes the engine overheat? Hensley's are great to use with undersized TVs UNLESS they break the shank. I bet a little digging might reveal a string of tidbits all leading to the same conclusion.

It might be beneficial if we established a set of measurable variables that we could use to determine the suitability of a vehicle to tow an Airstream. Surely there must be more than one man in the world capable of wielding the magical divining rod of AS towing.

I am very interested in these modded vehicles. Does anyone who owns one want to share some "facts" about their ride? What specifically was altered on your TV? What is your modded hitch's newly-rated tongue weight? What is it's new GVWR? How about it's tow rating and it's payload capacity? Once we've established some baseline data, we can talk about performance on the road. What is you normal towing speed? What is a fast towing speed for your setup? What type of acceleration is your setup capable of? At what speeds? How fast can you go up a X% grade. How long can you go down a steep grade before blowing the engine or burning out the brakes? How about other braking tests, etc. If I could see some DATA I might pay more credence to the seat-of-the-pants reporting that I usually read about. Who's willing to get dirty and dig into some FACTS?
__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #130
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 955
I am sorry you think the article I wrote on the 3.6 litre 8 speed 300 is an advertisement but I think I can offer an explanation as to why you might think that way. I have been writing articles in RV Lifestyle for 29 years and my first responsibility is to those that subscribe to the magazine many of whom have subscribed for many years. It would be pretty boring reading if every article reviewed every towing principal in each issue and it would also fill the entire issue. Over the years we have discussed in detail all the questions you are concerned about.

The Airstream in the article specifically was a 30' International with full window awnings, fully loaded for travel full water tank etc. A family of 4 plus 4 bikes etc. Every cabinet was used. Loaded like this the 300 was within 100 pounds of its GAWR. our 2007 Charger tows much heavier trailers on a regular basis far more miles than most tow vehicles and has had no GVWR related issues.

All our vehicle tests are done with vehicles we have bought and use ourselves or that a customer has allowed us to use. I never have any obligation to the vehicle manufacturer to write something nice because they lent me the vehicle to use or flew me to some exotic destination to try it.

The identical engine and transmission is rated to tow 7400 pounds in a 1500 pick up which consumes much more of its power than the 300 does.

The Brakes on the 300 have more reserve capacity than the brakes on a 3/4 ton pick up, I have been over most of the major mountain passes in North America and I would not hesitate to take the 300 over any of them.

It is true that they did have some head casting problems with 3.6 Litres but Chrysler has extended the warranty for everyone with those engines. I do tell people from the US southwest that we have not tested the 3.6 in the summer heat there as of yet and that they may need a larger radiator but I doubt it. There is absolutely no heating anywhere in the south east but that is less challenging.

Having said all this for most people they are never going to understand until they get their hands on the wheel with an Airstream on the back. Sometime take a trip to Niagara Falls and on your way by stop in and test drive the 300. If you are driving an F150 you will find it to be dramatically more stable and direct handling.

Andrew T
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #131
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
It was in poor taste, and an insult even to some who may even be on "your side".

I suppose you don't think there is enough controversy on this thread so you want to have a religious debate as well??
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #132
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Smallest Towing car

Airogant has never tried one of these rigs, but he is certain it will not work..... Even though there are several people on this forum who offer testimony that it will....

Why do these people lie so much?

By the way, do you tow your 16' trailer with an F450?
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #133
Rivet Master
 
aquinob's Avatar
 
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 776
I just find it interesting that you are all going on about towing with a Chrysler 300 which from what I can gather online, has a tow rating of 1000 lbs (not even the 3500 of an Odyssey). Am I missing something here, is there a model that is significantly better rated?

And it has been mentioned numerous times that with trailer brakes doing most of the work, the tow vehicle brakes aren't critical to the equation. But what happens when the trailer brakes fail or is that never a consideration? The connector comes loose or you have a bad connection somewhere? Happened to me a month or so back, I was going fairly slow and the connection into the trailer had pulled out a bit, so I pulled over and pushed it back in.

I realize I'm not going to change anybodies mind here, but what ever happened to erring on the side of caution, especially when you are traveling down the road with an 8-10,000 lb combined weight rig? I guess it's assumed that the engineers who design and build these vehicles don't know their trade or that some aftermarket hitch installer knows better?
__________________
Bob

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #134
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I started out to be more condescending, but by the time I got done typing I found That I made my point without doing so....

There is nothing mystic about making a stable tow rig, it is just a matter of insuring a few fundamentals. These fundamentals can be addressed in any number of different ways when a thinking person applies knowledge, and this knowledge is proven and fine tuned in experience and application.

Usually,,,, in a case like this, the folks saying something that is clearly being done "cant be done", is because of one of three reasons;

A. - Said by people who have never tried.

B. - Tried, but not tried properly.

C. - They see it is being done but they just don't like it.

In this case I think "A" and "C" are the main driver of comments on this thread.

Well stated!
Items "A", and "C" are a very accurate observation!

Larry
__________________
Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It was in poor taste, and an insult even to some who may even be on "your side".
It's also in poor taste to rag on someone after they've already apologized. But I'll do what Jesus would have done - I'll forgive you. Perhaps you'll do the same for me?
__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #136
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Smallest Towing car

I am not mad at all, I don't see cause for me to have to forgive you because I don't think you did anything "wrong", we are just talking. Talking is good.

Pointing out remarks made in poor taste is not the same as being "hurt" or even offended.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #137
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 265
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Airogant has never tried one of these rigs, but he is certain it will not work..... Even though there are several people on this forum who offer testimony that it will....

Why do these people lie so much?

By the way, do you tow your 16' trailer with an F450?
No I have not tried one of these rigs. I am absolutely certain that it will "work." I'm also absolutely certain that the average Joe shouldn't try it. Why don't the grossly underweight understand the meaning of the words "should," and "shouldn't?"

I'm not sure who you are calling a liar, but it sure as hell better not be me. Resorting to name calling like you are doing is what gets these threads closed down before any meaningful dialogue can finally be established.

No I do not tow my trailer with an F450.
__________________
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #138
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Smallest Towing car

I am not calling you a liar , not even.

I was talking about those people who claim these smaller tow vehicles are safe,,,,, (in satire).....

Relax.

Some say they are proven safe, you say absolutely not, so obviously they must be lying.... (Do you hear me now?)
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #139
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

The identical engine and transmission is rated to tow 7400 pounds in a 1500 pick up which consumes much more of its power than the 300 does.
Some problems with this I'm trying to understand. The Dodge Ram 1500 R/T has a lower towing at 5000lbs. There is a lengthy discussion on the ramforums right now about why this might be. Some folks think it's the wheels, others a combo of other things.

I don't think engine/transmission combo's can be a deciding factor. Otherwise an Corvette would make a nice tow vehicle. Or my Pontiac G8 GXP with 400hp and 425ft/lb of toque.

Although the GXP is about the same size as the 300 but an overall nicer car, and probably out handles that boat.

I can only speak to what I know, but I know that the 6.2L in my G8 has different heads and cam than the 6.2L in the Silverado, even though they are sort of the same combo.

The torque curve is completely different in the truck.

But it's semantics.

Not saying it's not do-able.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #140
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

I don't think engine/transmission combo's can be a deciding factor. Otherwise an Corvette would make a nice tow vehicle.
Did you see post #296..... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...105356-22.html
__________________

__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smallest towing vehicle ? youngh Tow Vehicles 14 08-29-2011 09:09 AM
lincoln town car tow car rick myer Tow Vehicles 10 03-10-2010 06:30 AM
Car Will Not Fit On Car Dolly! Chaplain Kent General Motorhome Topics 7 11-08-2006 05:46 PM
smallest airstream with seperate bedroom? tom wolseley 1974 - 1979 Safari 11 05-14-2006 12:08 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.