Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I'm glad the item by discount tires was posted but find it interesting that I have seen no other numbers by any of the major "Goodyear Marathon" tire manufactures. I am going to drive to Salem Oregon to the international this year and it will be at least 10k miles. I have a tri axel with two spare tires cost about $1000, watch me throw the tires away after the trip. Not on your tin type. I do have tire monitoring sensors and they have saved me more than once. 62 mph is what I try to hold as top speed. Its interesting that my truck is carrying as much weigth per tire as my trailer and the failure rate is much different between the two. So far the trailer has never gone faster than the truck.

Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #58
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rick, if the trailer ever does go faster than the truck, be sure to wave when it goes by!...
Because of liability issues, and too many frivolous lawsuits against them, Wal-Mart seems to be entering "duck and cover" mode. They also won't do an oil change on a vehicle with even a slightly rounded oil drain plug, or any vehicle with evidence of an oil leak. This is just one more example of a company being beaten to death by the very litiginous society in which we live.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #59
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
For what ever this is worth . I just replaced two tires at Sam's club . They will not take them off a trailer , but they will mount and balance if you bring them the wheels .
The old and new tires are BF goodrich 235/75/15 XL commercial TA . I checked the date code on the old tires and it was '88 , I know it was '88 and not '98 because I know the history of the tires . That's right , 18 years old and not a single crack or blemish any where. They had about 7000 miles on them with good tread , 3000 on a vehicle and 4000 on the trailer. They were never covered .
Disclaimer - This is a first hand observation from one person and is not ment to rekindle any old controversies.Nor is this an indorsement to use 18 year old tires. My personal experience tells me these are very good tires .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #60
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Slow down when towing - here is why

Anybody read this thread:
Much of this has already been covered.
There is a ST tire with a speedrating of over 100 MPH on the market, but is unavailable due the marketing structure of the manufacturer (Cooper). It is the ONLY ST tire with a speed rating on the sidewall.
According to tire manufacturers belt seperation is caused by excessive heat build up in the tire. By their own admission it is difficult to get rubber to stick to steel(tire rubber to steel belt).
Are we going to tow a unit over 100 MPH? Of course not. But which tire would you feel safer with, the tire built and tested to withstand the heat generated at 65 MPH or the tire built and tested to withstand the heat generated at 100 MPH.
The tire industry is also going away from traditional sizes (13", 14", 15")to the weird tires we are seeing on cars today(16", 17" Etc.)
The handwriting is on the wall folks.
Fortunately, there are 16 inch LT tires available that are the OD as the original 7.00/15 and the max width of the ST225/75R15 Marathon. Even the manufacturer of torsioin axle equipment trailers have gone away from the ST tires because of tire failure problems and gone to the 16" LT tires.
Bob Thompson changed a while back and I changed this spring.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #61
Site Team
, Minnesota

Good research on the Cooper tires. I found their 'Custom Trailer Plus' tire, which has a "S" speed rating (over 100 mph). They only listed one size, ST225/75R15.

I would like to upgrade to 16" tires, but my wheel wells are only 30" long and a 16" won't fit. The original tires were 7 - 14.5, Load Range F.

The next year (1960) Airstream increased the wheel well to 32".
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #62
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
An excellent site for tech info on tires is Also if anyone is looking for a 7.00x R 15 LT tire that works well on the vintage trailers they sell the Yokohama RY215. I just replaced my present set with new ones. Great prices and service from these guys.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
This bears repeating, so I am posting a new thread. Trailer tires are speed rated at a maximum of 65 m.p.h. Beyond that speed, road surface heat combines with the weight of the trailer and tire disintegration begins.....

As I have posted elsewhere, over 100,000 miles logged towing & never a blowout

I personally never exceed 55 while towing. Across the hottest and coldest highways in the country.

You may just want to slow down on the next trip. You will save on your fuel costs, your tire wear, and be much better prepared if you do have a blowout.

Please take a moment to read what the tire experts say below; and I suggest you read the Discount Tire trailer tire tips :

Long-term fatigue can also weaken a trailer tire. There are a number of factors that accelerate fatigue, but heat buildup from towing at high speeds is one of the main culprits, according to Fry.

"If you trailer nonstop from Phoenix, Arizona, to Las Vegas, in 100-degree temperatures at 65 mph, you use up much of the resources of that tire, and you don't realize it," said Fry.

Fry is not talking about wearing out the tread. It is the tire's construction that is breaking down. As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken. Over the course of several trips, this load-carrying capacity gradually decreases, according to Fry. Incidentally, all ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

One key to extending tire life on a tandem- or tri-axle trailer is to ensure that the trailer is riding level, thus distributing the load equally among all the tires. If the trailer tongue sits too high, the rear tires may bear the brunt of the load: with the trailer tongue too low, the front tires may be unduly stressed.
Very interesting reading...especially the part about tire inflation:

• Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
  • Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
  • If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add 3 psi to the max inflation.
  • Underinflation is the number 1 cause of trailer tire failure.
My husband and I have a never ending battle about how much pressure we should put into our 2002 Bambi tires. The sidewalls say 65 p.s.i., so my argument to him is that they should be inflated to 65 p.s.i. when cold. His argument is that they should be 20 p.s.i. less than the recommended amount to reduce the bouncing the trailer does as it goes down the road over bumps.

Can someone act as a mediator for us? Its ok if I'm wrong too -- I just don't feel that inflating to 45 - 50 p.s.i. cold on a tire that recommends 65 p.s.i. could be correct. Do we need marriage therapy for this?
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #64
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by yukionna
Can someone act as a mediator for us? Its ok if I'm wrong too -- I just don't feel that inflating to 45 - 50 p.s.i. cold on a tire that recommends 65 p.s.i. could be correct. Do we need marriage therapy for this?
As a rookie "Bobby" I soon learnt that acting as a mediator between fighting couples ended up with both of them attacking me! I would keep it simple, and use the Airstream manual's recommendation for the pressure. There is a thread here about a Bambi tire failure which may have been caused by low pressure
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #65
Site Team
, Minnesota
I don't want to get in the middle of anything either.

However. . .

The same web site, Discount Tire, and the same expert, Tim Fry, say that you can inflate the tire to the pressure that corresponds to the loaded weight of the trailer.

The only time they recommend you use the maximum inflation pressure is if you do not know the weight of the trailer.

So I would tend to agree with hubby, provided he based the lower pressure on the weight of the trailer, and the inflation charts; not just on his perception of a smooth ride.

Check at the bottom of this article, under "Maximum PSI?"

. . .and here is the inflation table. It works for all tires of this size, not just Goodyear:
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have the Super Duty bias ply tires on the A/S . how can I figure out how old they are ? is there a conversion chart somewhere ?
Movie Stars and Film Crews come to Me from hundreds of miles enticed by My knowledge, My imagination,expertise, creativity and innovations!
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by scf31
how can I figure out how old they are ? is there a conversion chart somewhere ?
If you click here:

and go to post 4, it will explain about the last 2 digits in the DOT number.
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Maybe someone has already said this, however at 55 you can enjoy the view. As many have said, it's the journey that counts!
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
Just finished reading tire safety and maintenance reccomendations published by Rubber Manufacturers Associatin ( They stress proper inflation and load and regular inspection for cracks, cuts, bulges and treadwear but found no mention of maximum tire life either mileage or age. RMA does reccomend that tires be inspected by proffesional after 5 years to determine if they are safe. with the liability the proffesional would assume if he said they are OK he is shure to say they should be replaced.
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #70
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello to all ,
I am in agreement with the idea of maintaining a 65mph cap as I call it on towing . i It has been stated correctly that st tires have a maximum speed limit 65mph. Is there really a need to do 80 pulling a trailer . I witnessed a fifth wheel sob doing 75 80 thru arizona on I 70 out on the flats , blew past next thing you know on its side in the ditch blew out a tire lost control . The tow vehical was capable of handling the rig chevy crew cab 3/4 ton . Too much speed and the tires overheat and come apart .It was very unfortunate and somthing I wont forget ,very sad . Tires can only handle what they are design for and the job they are designed to do.

Scott of scottanlily

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote