Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #43
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Ford says to change the oil in my Powerstoke every 7,500 miles ... every dealer I've been to wants to change it at 3,000.

Blackstone (oil analysis) says I can go longer after my last sample that had 4,000 miles on it. ("With wear looking this good, you could add some miles to your oil use, if interested.")

Gee, I wonder if the dealer is just trying to sell me an oil change?
The 3,000 mile service interval is a general severe service interval for gasoline powered engines in passenger cars and light trucks in stop-and-go traffic, with extended idling and high heat (like sitting in trafic with the air conditioning on).
Since no one but you knows how you are driving, they use the standard "worst case" service interval when recommending oil changes.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #44
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
hello rubberized rotund rollers and ribbers.....

"This bears repeating, so I am posting a new thread. Trailer tires are speed rated at a maximum of 65 m.p.h. Beyond that speed, road surface heat combines with the weight of the trailer and tire disintegration begins....."


really it's not that simple......and as for the discount piece....one never knows if the info was written by the expert, or the expert was interviewed and the writer 'interpreted' the info....

really hard for me to believe a tire expert, or even a sales expert would goof on what lt and st designate....

also the comment about driving from a 2 b in 100degree heat....
well it's road temps that matter....not air.....
so road surface temps could be 70 or 150 degrees...with 100 degree air temps...

i'd like to see finite numbers for tire temps and how 10-20 degrees affects brakedown....or not....

and any time there are numbers......over 3 years, 1/3, blah, blah...

i want to know how those numbers were derived...
did they for example tear the tires up at 1, 2, 3, 4 years
and test against original factory parameters or what?

good luck getting to the details behind those figures, jack.....

i have pulled from 50-75 mph (in 5-7mph increments) on a given day in warm weather and checked tire temps at 30 minute intervals.....with a infrared surface probe...and didn't find any change in trailer tire temps over these speeds....i did note t.v. tire temps 20-30 degrees higher than the trailer but still don't know if that was significant and to what amount brake heat via the wheels warmed the tires...

my understanding of the 65mph speed rating is a liablity issue mostly....
ratings are a balance of factors and speed is but one...

-we most all will agree that under inflated tires heat up more than properly inflated tires....
at any speed, in most weather and at most loads.....
-and that underinflation seems to relate to premature tire failures...and other handling issues...
-and that prolonged inactivity under load isn't good either...
-poor alignment or imbalance must lead to higher temps, wear...and breakdown....

are speed and age greater negatives than these?....i wonder....

so keep the tires properly inflated and rolling......for less hot air....

and i've had great tire buying experience from tire rack........

porky.....
my ford dealer suggests 5k for the oil changes on my diesel...
of course, since they have taken tooo long twice and the changes have been free.....
maybe that recommendation is so they save money on my service

cheers
2air'
__________________

__________________
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
porky.....
my ford dealer suggests 5k for the oil changes on my diesel...
of course, since they have taken tooo long twice and the changes have been free.....
maybe that recommendation is so they save money on my service

cheers
2air'
Not to hijack the thread, but.......................

My 2004 Dodge Sprinter (Mercedes) regularly goes 12,000-13,000 miles between oil changes with the optional service interval computer and all those extra sensors.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
DavidsonOverlander's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 798
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
Walmart Super Centers with a Tire & Lube Express are a great place to get a tire mounted on the weekend
When I had a flat on the trailer last week the Walmart Super Center in Myrtle Beach wouldn't touch it. He said they weren't allowed to do anything with trailer tires.
__________________
Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #47
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander
When I had a flat on the trailer last week the Walmart Super Center in Myrtle Beach wouldn't touch it. He said they weren't allowed to do anything with trailer tires.
Might just have to drag the wheel to them. We had an incident with Wallyworld a couple of weeks ago. One of the guys that works for me took his little truck down to have the rear tires replaced. He wanted the same size put back on, but Walmart wouldn't do it because it wasn't the tire size listed on the door sticker. The tire size in question is actually an optional size for his truck and he had them upgraded when he bought the truck. It sounds to me like a serious case of CYA period...I will stay off my anti-litigation/personal reponsibility soapbox He drives 5 miles down the road and gets a local discount tire center to do it for him.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #48
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,031
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hello rubberized rotund rollers and ribbers.....

"This bears repeating, so I am posting a new thread. Trailer tires are speed rated at a maximum of 65 m.p.h. Beyond that speed, road surface heat combines with the weight of the trailer and tire disintegration begins....."


my understanding of the 65mph speed rating is a liablity issue mostly....
ratings are a balance of factors and speed is but one...

-we most all will agree that under inflated tires heat up more than properly inflated tires....
at any speed, in most weather and at most loads.....
-and that underinflation seems to relate to premature tire failures...and other handling issues...
-and that prolonged inactivity under load isn't good either...
-poor alignment or imbalance must lead to higher temps, wear...and breakdown....

so keep the tires properly inflated and rolling......for less hot air....


cheers
2air'
It has been my unscientific observation that the majority of problems on our highways are not caused by equipment failure, but rather by eight cylinder vehicles being driven by two cylinder minds.

When there is an observable vehicle defect, it usually boils down to a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Roger
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #49
Rivet Master
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Tonka Bay
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 767
Images: 13
Catching Up

In regard to Minnesota drivers. They drive slow or exactly at the speed limit in the left lanes because they feel a need to impose on you. It is a very paternalistic liberal state with Scandanavian socialist roots. So if the speed iimit is 55 mph everyone is going to make sure you know that. In Minnesota those same left lane drivers seem to have a penchant for wanting to sneak around and speed up on you and pass you on the right to beat you to the exit ramp even when you have your turn signal on. I feel free when I cross the St. Croix River into Wisconsin but then have to be wary of the over zealous state patrol.

In Great Britain the laws were very clear. Stay left (right in America) and pass only to the right (left for us). I was amazed how well that simple law worked and how much safer I felt going as much as 80 mph (and being passed by a Smart car at 85 ).

Stebfronts is right about Intrepids at least in GB. The other shocker was seeing midsize cars pulling huge caravans (trailers). The VW Passat seemed to be a popular hauler. I seldom saw a personal vehicle larger than a midsize Toyota Tacoma type pickup. Our rented Kia Sorrento (compact SUV in America) looked like a monster on the roads there. In Wales it felt huge on winding highways only 15'-7" wide, no shoulders and stone walls each side typical to that country.

The Dodge/Freightiner/Mercedes Sprinter van diesel oil change recommendation interval is 10,000 miles.

Now back on topic. My Airstream trailer had tires that looked new and from my estimation of its history probably had no more than 50 miles on them but they were 10 years old. The buyer pulled it from Minnesota to Salt Lake City, Utah. I hope he made it.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #50
Just an old timer...
 
85MH325's Avatar

 
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,031
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
In regard to Minnesota drivers. They drive slow or exactly at the speed limit in the left lanes because they feel a need to impose on you. It is a very paternalistic liberal state with Scandanavian socialist roots. So if the speed iimit is 55 mph everyone is going to make sure you know that. In Minnesota those same left lane drivers seem to have a penchant for wanting to sneak around and speed up on you and pass you on the right to beat you to the exit ramp even when you have your turn signal on.
To stay off topic for one more short post, I can't address the left-lane speed issues in Minnesota, but driving in the left lane on many of Minnesota's freeways is done out of necessity to keep the vehicle you're driving from shaking itself apart in the "slow" or "truck" lane.

I've made a couple of trips to the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" while towing trailers in the past few years and the condition of the #2 lane (generally the right lane) on many of Minnesotas interstates is abysmal. I just drove the entire length of Minnesota two weeks ago on I-90 towing a 19' Scamp fifth wheel, and had to drive much of it in the "fast" lane because the trailer bounced so bad on the "slow" lane, it was hard to maintain control.

NOW back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Roger
__________________
AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #51
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
It has been my unscientific observation that the majority of problems on our highways are not caused by equipment failure, but rather by eight cylinder vehicles being driven by two cylinder minds.

When there is an observable vehicle defect, it usually boils down to a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Roger
yep. that is the source of most of our problems. the engineers havent yet figured out how to design out the A-H behind the wheel. .....yet. as I'm typing this, I'm watching a segment on GMA about driverless vehicles. so they're getting close.

on the Wally-World thing: ran into that, too. wanted to buy tires from Sam's club last year, as they had good prices, and so forth. But they wouldn't mount them on my "trailer". They wouldn't touch my trailer. All they could do is mount them and balance them if I brought them the wheels. They also wouldn't let ME jack up my trailer and remove the wheels from it in their parking lot.
so I bought them somewhere else. can't imagine what their "bug-a-boo" is about this.
__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #52
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
To stay off topic for one more short post, I can't address the left-lane speed issues in Minnesota, but driving in the left lane on many of Minnesota's freeways is done out of necessity to keep the vehicle you're driving from shaking itself apart in the "slow" or "truck" lane.

I've made a couple of trips to the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" while towing trailers in the past few years and the condition of the #2 lane (generally the right lane) on many of Minnesotas interstates is abysmal. I just drove the entire length of Minnesota two weeks ago on I-90 towing a 19' Scamp fifth wheel, and had to drive much of it in the "fast" lane because the trailer bounced so bad on the "slow" lane, it was hard to maintain control.

NOW back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Roger
A known issue in many states on the heavily traveled Intersates. Courtsey of overweight and high weight trucks. One of our DOT engineers here in NC commented that an 80,000# truck at 70 MPH does as much damage in a single pass over a given piece of road, as 5000 cars over the same piece of road....food for thought...

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #53
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
yep. that is the source of most of our problems. the engineers havent yet figured out how to design out the A-H behind the wheel. .....yet. as I'm typing this, I'm watching a segment on GMA about driverless vehicles. so they're getting close.

on the Wally-World thing: ran into that, too. wanted to buy tires from Sam's club last year, as they had good prices, and so forth. But they wouldn't mount them on my "trailer". They wouldn't touch my trailer. All they could do is mount them and balance them if I brought them the wheels. They also wouldn't let ME jack up my trailer and remove the wheels from it in their parking lot.
so I bought them somewhere else. can't imagine what their "bug-a-boo" is about this.
Won't do duallys either. It is all fear of litigation/product liability/refusal to take responsibility on both the sellers and buyers part.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #54
Grandpa's 63 bambi :)
 
1963 16' Bambi
1967 22' Safari
Lincoln , Nebraska
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 13
Images: 5
Hi, I agree with 2airishuman. All those numbersstarttoruntogetherafterawhile in my head. I do have one question for 2air. How did you get your wife to go along with your scientific testing? If I even mentioned the idea of stopping every 1/2 hour, well... . But seriously, I had an encounter of the scariest kind on an interstate in Indiana. Did you know that hot rubber can start a grass fire? Now I need to find a new skidplate for a single axle 67 safari. I was traveling at 60 mph with properly inflated OLD tires. I had no clue about the different types of tires. If the tread is still good and the sides aren't cracked...! I sure wish I had come across a thread like this before my first AS.
__________________
cnssanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #55
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnssanders
I do have one question for 2air. How did you get your wife to go along with your scientific testing? .
hi cnssanders....

sedatives can be useful......

i only clear travel issues with the pooch...


roger..
i agree that checking the nut behind the wheel comes before the alcoa's...

the basic take home message from the discount rv site, is that these tires are idle a lot, wear isn't the primary issue....so evaluate the tire's full history and replace sooner rather than later....i agree with all of that.

their is one poorly worded item in the piece as i recall....
that trailer tires only have a 5,000-12,000 mile life span...

that could be true for a airstream 'planter' used once a season, but for frequent travelers....that could be one year or less.....who is replacing tires yearly?

i've got more than that in 11 months.......and hope to get 25-30k miles over a 2-3 year period before replacing....but do rotate every 5k, carry a compressor....and so on.

cheers
2air'
__________________
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
Do a quick search for "Raytech," go to the last reply on the last page, under "Cracker," and you'll come up with my comments about a neat little gadget I've been using for some time now. Like my DeLorme navigation software, I won't travel without it-----almost!
__________________

__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing Experience app Tow Vehicles 9 04-19-2004 10:51 PM
Towing Mirrors 53flyingcloud Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 8 01-03-2003 05:28 PM
Towing Specs in trailer life 53flyingcloud Link Archive 0 11-16-2002 06:09 AM
Towing Regulations by State InsideOut Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 2 09-16-2002 08:35 AM
Towing cars CBBOB Airstream Motorhome Forums 13 07-24-2002 09:15 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.