Old 03-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Importantly- One thing left out..... Tires on trailers OVER 5 years old, no matter how much or little use, SHOULD be replaced. They are simply TOO old to be on the road.
I agree 100%. As a matter of fact, 4 years is max life in my book. I've never had a tire fail in 25 years of towing and have lived with that change frequency. You buy fresh properly rated tires, keep them inflated properly, balance them, protect them from UV exposure, drive within their rated speed ratings and replace them after 4 years of use (assuming you don't replace them earlier due to tread wear), you should stay rolling without the fear of tire loss.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree, we're on our fourth season with the trailer, and we're replacing the tires before our next big trip. They still look ok, but I'm not comfortable with towing a long distance on old rubber. That's cheap insurance every four or five years if you ask me.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Don't come to Minnesota!

Here, everyone drives in the left lane. I think it's to make room for merging traffic. The only way to pass is to use the exit ramps.
i thought everyone in minnesota drove in the left lane so it would be easier to wave at the folks going the other way!

you betcha!

john
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #18
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quoting the linked article:

"The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles." How was this figure arrived at?

We'll be hitching up April 1 to begin our 3rd year on the road. From the beginning, I have kept detailed fuel & mileage records ... including towing and non-towing miles.

So far the tires have 9,016 miles on them ... plus the original 2,400 delivery miles from Jackson Center to Los Banos, CA. That's a total of 11,416 miles.

The tires were rotated after 1 year during the "wheel bearing grease recall" fiasco. The trailer is weighed every 6 months ... everything OK ... and I carry an air compressor to insure proper inflation. Also I keep my speed at 65 or under on the highways ... and keep 'em covered while wintering in AZ for 5 months.

Now after reading that quote ... I'm wondering if I should replace them instead of waiting one more year. I was hoping to get 3 years out of them.

I'll be getting the bearings packed and brakes checked at Toscanos in May ... should I get new tires then?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Can you improve trailer speeds and tire life by using a different tire?
If you fell you must, you can go with an LT tire, of the same size and load range you are replacing. If you do this, LT tires are speed rated for 75, and you should replace the tires even more frequently than you already would. If you would normally replace your tires after 5 years, do it after 3.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Quoting the linked article:

"
Now after reading that quote ... I'm wondering if I should replace them instead of waiting one more year. I was hoping to get 3 years out of them.

I'll be getting the bearings packed and brakes checked at Toscanos in May ... should I get new tires then?
Porky, your trailer is rolling a lot and that keeps those tires in better shape than mine that have sat all winter. Rolling keeps the compounds moving that protect against dry rot and UV deterioriation. While you still might consider the change out after year 4, if you've been giving the trailer active use during these 3 years and as long as you have good tread, those tires will give you good service for another year.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb Same old thinking.....

Porky, if you read the link I posted you may want to look at this again

Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

If you read the article & consider the recommendation to size the trailer tire you choose at essentially 80% when new; then consider that the life is reduced by 1/3 under normal conditions by the third year, where does that leave you?

The conventional thinking that applies to passenger car tires does not apply to trailer tires.... a trailer tire can look o.k. w/ no sidewall cracks & plenty of tread left, but be at the end of its' life

By the way, for those Forum members who have not purchased tires at Discount Tire before.... if you buy the Road Hazard coverage when you purchase the tire, Discount will replace the tire for FREE w/ no treadwear adjustment for the life of the tire (which I imagine would be 3 years on the Carlisle brand).

Is it really worth risking possible significant damage to your trailer from a shredded tire at highway speed to go another year?

Discount Tire Co. is one of the few tire retailers with the b*lls in my opinion to publish sound advice on their website.

I pick when to gamble when I want to take a chance..... towing a trailer is not one of those times
Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #22
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
If you read the article & consider the recommendation to size the trailer tire you choose at essentially 80% when new; then consider that the life is reduced by 1/3 under normal conditions by the third year, where does that leave you?
What does "size the trailer tire you choose at essentially 80% when new" mean?

Whant are "normal" conditions?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
From the experts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
What does "size the trailer tire you choose at essentially 80% when new" mean?

Whant are "normal" conditions?
"The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent."

Easier for me to derate the load capacity of the tire by 20%.....

"Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance."

Self -explanatory and based on average use which I assume means not exceeding the total estimated actual tire life when utilized at a speed not exceeding the maximum rating of the tire (65 m.p.h. for an ST trailer tire).

For example, if a person towed on the freeway for the majority of a trailer tire life in excess of 65 m.p.h. during typical summer vacation time, the expected life of the tire would be expected to be reduced....

Again, I would read the attachment in its' entirety.....

People often read things, disagree with a point or two, and then ponder that point out of context.....
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I will run a trailer tire "no more" than 5 years changing them out sometime in their fith year. The tires always "look" good but the damage caused by a blow out can far exceed 4 tires.
I prefer to drive 55 to 60 on the highway but most of the time will run between 60 and 65 trying to keep others from getting road rage and doing something stupid.
Most of the time I use bias tires load range "E".

Garry
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If you fell you must, you can go with an LT tire, of the same size and load range you are replacing. If you do this, LT tires are speed rated for 75, and you should replace the tires even more frequently than you already would. If you would normally replace your tires after 5 years, do it after 3.
Why do you feel LT tires should be replaced more frequently?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #26
_

. , .
greeting retreads and well worn....

goodyear has/is bringing out a new/better rv tire........

with MORE breakdown protection in the compound....from ozone, uv, heat, water and so on....

it is supposed to be good for 5 years......without covers......

i guess that's better

cheers
2air'
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
That website of Discount Tire is interesting reading but, I am of the opinion it is only about 50% accurate. The engineering design standards for tires is so far in excess of their recommendations, it is not funny. Expensive yes. I would listen a lot closer if it were Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone vs. Carlisle or Discount tire.

If you want to buy as much safety and prudent judgement as you can, then (1) buy radials that are designed to reduce heat buildup (Michelin invention in 1949)
(2) buy ST's & load no heavier than 75-80% of sidewall rating,
(3) never run underinflated from what is on the sidewall,
(4) buy a pressure monitoring system (90% of tires failures are reportedly due to loss of pressure due to debris and resulting belt separations)
(4) switch to LT(light truck) 16" tires found on the 350 turbo diesels (80psi) which requires new wheels,
(6) switch to steel/steel truck tires (1steel ply/3steel belts/natural rubber carcass) typically found on delivery trucks or motorhomes.

Whenever I stop, I alway walk to the trailer and use the back of my hand to check each tire. If the tire feels more than slightly warm to the touch, then I want to know why. I check the rim flange to see if brake heat is raising the tire temp. Also, temperature will vary on the sunny side of the trailer.
I tow at 58-62mph, check inflation regularly, keep my brakes adjusted, etc. If the tire doesn't run too hot, then the carcass/belt fatigue factor should be a much longer life than 12,000 miles. That number destroys the credibility of the article to me.

I just replaced my tires at seven years with LR D ST225/75R15 trailer tires. (7300lbs-605lbs tongue/10160= 66% load factor)

Tires are more common sense than rocket science.

Just my $.02
Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Does this cover covered/ non-used spares too?

Hi all -

Great info here!

My spare (new 1 year ago) lives up underneath the trialer in a very well insulated location. It has not, so far - knock wood! - ever seen the road in use.

Would these recommendations apply to such a tire as well in your opinion? ie. essentially dead and needing to be replaced with the other 6 tires on my rig.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Axel